Author Topic: What about this .280 I found??  (Read 1389 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
What about this .280 I found??
« on: March 15, 2004, 01:01:57 PM »
I am getting to where I love to stop in at the pawn and gun shops and look around. Today I went back in to one I had been in a while back and there it was  :grin: A Blond stocked NEF .280 with the curved foreend. The serial # starts with an "N". Here's the catch -  tho the butstock is like new (has the finger cuts in it too) the foreend has been painted black from the curve out to the barrel. The barrel has been cut back to about 18" and painted black also. It has the scope rail and hammer spur also. So here's my question, if I could get this gun for $100 should I, and then add a barrel or two or .... etc. thru the accessory program? I'm thinkin' about it pretty hard  :idea:
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 01:22:52 PM »
like2hunt, What is the second letter of the the serial number? That will give you the year of manufacture. If you can get the entire serial number call H&R first to see which barrels they would be willing to fit to the receiver, being a .280 I would think if it is a gun manufactured by "H&R1871" they would be willing to put any barrel on it. That said, YES!! Buy it!!! H&R will reblue a barrel for $10.00, cheap money for a hot blue job (consider having it recrowned before re-blueing). You could even polish/buff up the barrel a bit before you sent it in. The stock should be an easy wood refinish job. And if the receiver can have barrels added by H&R that will be the cheapest 2 caliber gun you can find....Boy oh boy, I hope to come across something like this some day....<><.... :grin:  (Oh yes, measure it carefully and make sure it is legal under federal barrel length requirements of 16" minimum for rifles, you buy it, you own it, you go to jail for it!!! :eek:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 04:32:32 PM »
Yea if it is a late enough serial number.  Don't know about an 18" barrel for a 280 though.  Sounds like a tosser to me.  of course if you spend another $100 you can get a new one from NEF.

If that short barrel is no problem, $100 is a good buy.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 08:32:32 PM »
An 18" .280 is just a noisey 7x57, and oughta be enough gun for anything in the lower 48. $100 is a good deal. Bluing may be OK under that paint. If it is, a trichorethylene based stripper won't hurt the blue.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 01:52:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys  :D  Trichorethylene, now there's a word  :eek: I'll check into that one. Gonna go back thru there today and get the serial# and call CS later to see about it. If I get this the plan is for another barrel.....so many choices tho, but at least I will have one loud and mean brush gun huh?  :wink:
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 05:36:49 AM »
That 18" barrel will for sure be easy to move in the brush.  I'd have to wear ear plugs though.  Check out the S# and enjoy it.

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 02:02:22 PM »
Ok here's the scoop........Went by and got the serial #. Told the guy I would be back again later and went to the car and called CS almost immediately. It is a 1996 model .280 that was originally manufactuerd in April of that year. The only barrels available for it are:
.22 Hornet, .223, 30-30, 45-70, just the low pressure calibres, however the 32" and the 22" 45-70 are both available options. Of these I would consider the .223 or the 45-70. I think the .44 Mag would be too, if they had them. Still thinking on it though, haven't made an offer on it yet, but it has been there for about 3 months that I know of and I asked if anyone else was looking at it and he said no. It was odd that the .280 could not be added as an accessory barrel even though it is a .280. What do ya'll think??
 :D
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline NMUltra

• Trade Count: (1)
Careful with the Trichloroethylene ...
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 05:30:25 PM »
Here's a link to a Material Safety Data Sheet:

http://www.vul.com/vulchemicals/products/pdf/msds/trichlo/Trichloroethylene%20Metal%20Degreasing.pdf

Here's some pertinent extracts:

SECTION 3 HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
A dense, nonflammable, colorless, clear liquid with a mildly sweet odor.
WARNING! Harmful if inhaled. Can cause skin and eye irritation.
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
INHALATION
Inhalation is the major potential route of exposure. Exposure to high concentrations of vapor or mist can cause
central nervous system depression with symptoms of nausea, headache, dizziness, stupor, or loss of
consciousness or death
depending on concentration and duration of exposure. Exposure to high concentrations
can cause irregular heartbeat, cardiac arrest and death. Overexposure has been shown to cause adverse effects
on the liver, kidney, nervous system and other internal organs.
SKIN
Prolonged or repeated contact of liquid can cause skin irritation, defatting of skin, and dermatitis. Absorption of
liquid through intact skin is possible, causing systemic poisoning, but this is an unlikely route of significant toxic
exposure.
EYE
Liquid in eyes produces pain and irritation with mild temporary damage possible. Vapor can irritate eyes.
INGESTION
Single dose toxicity is low to moderate. If vomiting occurs, trichloroethylene can be aspirated into the lungs, which
can cause chemical pneumonia and systemic effects. Ingestion can cause adverse health effect as described in the
Inhalation section above.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE
Alcoholism, acute and chronic kidney or liver disease, rhythm disorders of the heart, and neuritis and other
disorders of the nervous system. Exposure can result in cardiac sensitization and increase the risk of cardiac
arrest.

SECTION 7 HANDLING AND STORAGE
HANDLING
Avoid contact with skin and avoid breathing vapors. Do not eat, drink, or smoke in work area. Wash hands prior to
eating, drinking, or using restroom. Any clothing or shoes which become contaminated with trichloroethylene,
should be removed immediately and thoroughly laundered before wearing again.
Follow protective controls set forth in Section 8 when handling this product. Do not use in poorly ventilated or
confined spaces. Vapors are heavier than air and will collect in low areas. Do not enter confined spaces such as
tanks or pits without following proper entry procedures as required by 29 CFR 1910.146.
SECTION 8 EXPOSURE CONTROLS, PERSONAL PROTECTION
ENGINEERING CONTROLS
VENTILATION
Do not use in closed or confined space. Open doors and/or windows. Use ventilation to maintain exposure levels
below 50 ppm (TWA).
To determine exposure level(s), monitoring should be performed regularly. Safety shower and eyewash station
should be available.

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET Trichloroethylene 10/15/96
Page 4 of 8
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
EYE AND FACE PROTECTION
Wear safety glasses. Contact lenses should not be worn. Chemical goggles and/or face shields should be worn
where splashing is a possibility.
SKIN PROTECTION
Wear solvent-resistant gloves such as Viton, polyvinyl alcohol, or equivalent. Solvent-resistant boots, apron,
headgear and/or faceshield should be worn where splashing is a possibility.
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION
Where vapor concentration exceeds or is likely to exceed 50 ppm, a NIOSH/MSHA approved organic vapor type
half-mask respirator is acceptable. A NIOSH/MSHA approved self-contained breathing apparatus or air line
respirator, with full face piece, is required for vapor concentrations above 1,000 ppm and for spills and/or
emergencies. Follow any applicable respirator use standards or regulations.
GENERAL
Protective equipment and clothing should be selected, used, and maintained according to applicable standards and
regulations. For further information, contact the clothing or equipment manufacturer or the Vulcan Chemicals
Technical Service Department.
EXPOSURE GUIDELINES
Vulcan Chemicals recommends that its customers minimize employee exposure. Vulcan therefore suggests that its
customers consider adopting the lower of the current OSHA PEL or the ACGIH TLVs for the purpose of evaluating
employee exposures. The TLVs recommended by the ACGIH have been updated on a continuing basis.
ACGIH: 50 ppm TWA (8 hr), 100 ppm STEL ACGIH Biological Exposure Indices:
OSHA: 100 ppm TWA (8 hr), 200 ppm Ceiling Blood: 4 mg/L,
Urine: 100 mg/g creatinine
IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS TO LIFE OR HEALTH
1000 ppm

ODOR THRESHOLD
Odor threshold approximately 60 ppm; causes olfactory fatigue.

Yes, this will clean paint off a gun barrel ... Personally, I would never bring this material into my home - it's a dangerous, industrial grade chemical.
Always dally thumb up

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 07:34:39 PM »
If it were me, I'd pass.  Spend $200 and get a new 280 Handi from Wal Mart and then you'd have an SB-2 receiver for any of their centerfire rifle barrels.  If it were ME!

That is one of the older SB-1 receivers they pressure tested for THAT barrel.  That is why only low pressure barrels will be fitted to it.  This was how they explained a 243 to me the same way.  The new receivers are stronger and machined slightly differently lengthwise.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 03:02:39 AM »
:D , Hello Lik2hunt, I guess in the final analysis that is a decision you will have to make yourself. For $100.00 I would snap it up. That .280 would make a nice rifle for most hunting here in the Northeast where we do not regularly shoot beyond 200 yards, in fact most hunting shots are well within 100 yards. Up to and equal to my 7x57 which is a pure joy to shoot. Yes, the barrel might be shorter so you do not have a longer sighting radius with iron sights but with a scope it is a moot point. You may lose a little velocity but this is a hunting gun right? accuracy is what matters, the deer knows if it is hit in the heart or the paunch, it doesn't know it the bullet that hit it was going 2800 fps or 2950 fps. The shorter a barrel is makes it stiffer which equals better inherent accuracy. You don't see any 28-30-32" barrels on target rifles do you? Most target rifles are heading to shorter stiffer barrels now-a-days. And this is a hunting gun anyway correct? For $38.00 you can add a fixed choke barrel in 12/20/28 or .410. For $58.00 you can add a shotgun barrel with adjustable choke (my 24" 12 Gauge w/choke is up to taking anything on this continent with the correct shells and choke tube installed, and with the winchoke/mossberg 500  threads most of us have or can buy choke tubes cheaply!! For $50.00 you can get a rifled 12 or 20 gauge barrel with sights!! Of course that 45/70 will be $81.00, a good deal at that. Yet the choice is up to you. Me, I would buy it but at the best price I could, probably start at $75-80 and then ask him what his "best" price was, cash, today, right now in his hand, and even if I had to pay $100.00 it would go home with me and possibly become my newest "project gun", and quite possibly my favorite one!!! If it were not for the shipping and $40.00 fee locally to transfer the paperwork I would ask that you not buy it and let me have it!!! Good Luck, and one thing I am sure of, you will make the correct decision for you!!!!....<><.... :grin: (remember the worse thing that could happen is that you buy it, have fun cleaning it up,shooting it  and maybe even refinishing the stock, then sell it for what you bought it for or for a couple of bucks more to cover your materials, a win-win situation the way I look at it) (P.S. - H&R refinishes barrels for $10.00 and receivers for $15.00, perhaps the best $25.00 you ever spent, (remember, recrown-recrown-recrown, very important, hopefully a note to H&R would take care of that for free when you sent it in for the re-blue, and of course the "free" trigger job!) would not even have to strip any paint off!. Put on another "take-off" H&R stock you must/may have lying around and Presto, a NEW GUN!!!.......... I WANT IT!!!) ( I am picturing that short barrel with a survivor stock and a quick point holo sight or Red Dot, but the iron sights would be more funtional, in any configuration...SWEET!!) ( Wait a minute, I'm getting carried away here, I can picture that beautiful gun in my hands and gun cabinet right now!!!)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 06:05:21 AM »
like2hunt
MSP is correct in that it is your call and no-one elses.  I just know that after having my sons rifle not being able to accept a lot of the barrels available, I felt I was missing out, so I worked out a way to get the Ultra.

I already said what I would do but look at it this way.  If you think you might want some of the higher pressure barrels you might be able to sell that one off and re-coup your money towards a new rifle.  These are very versatle guns but to me the SB-2 receiver makes them a little more so.

I am a bit sensitive to noise levels so that short barrel would do me in.

In the end it's YOUR call and what YOU want.  Good luck figguring it out :grin: