Author Topic: New guy here gots some questions??  (Read 984 times)

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
New guy here gots some questions??
« on: March 16, 2004, 07:37:18 AM »
I am entertaining the idea of a golf ball cannon. Any plans out there? I dont have a lathe, and would like to keep it simple as can be. Thinking of patching the golf ball, like a very large muzzleloader. Would this work? Thanks. DM

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 01:14:16 PM »
Dalton,

Mortars and Cannons don't need patching.  They work different that small arms.   In fact it's not considered safe practice to patch them.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 01:23:32 PM »
Of course the simplest you can do is to build a mortar.  

Nebraska eh?  You shouldn't have any trouble finding open places to shoot - but finding a backstop will be an issue.  

Golf ball shooters are interesting - it's easy to shoot 100-200 yards with a 2 - caliber long mortar - using a very small amount of powder.

A cannon with, say, an 18" bore will chuck a golf ball size ball of lead well over a mile or so with ease - scary.  I've heard of some serious golf ball cannon doing 4000 meters plus.

You've got some serious choices to make.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 03:38:26 PM »
does patching cause pressure problems? just wondering. DM

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 03:52:18 PM »
Does it or can it - that is the question.  

It raises pressure.  I've used it to patch a beer can in one of my mortars to do just that - to get good ignition.

On the flip side of the issue there are organizations that will not allow it to be done for their competitions - for safety.

So, are there conditions wherein patching IS safe or COULD BE safe - and how do you know?

I have seen a cannon explode - about 15 feet away.  That's one experience that flavors the decisions I make about building and loading cannons and mortars.

Just think of that thing as a potential bomb - and make sure it only blows stuff out the muzzle and not everywhere.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 04:30:30 PM »
The explanation given me was that it is very difficult to properly seat a large diameter projectile properly due to the increase in friction from large surface area of the patched projectile riding down the bore.

It's one thing to use a patch around a golf ball that has some give to it.  It's quite another thing to use a patch on a large solid projectile that has be hammered home.  

When you get into the larger bores you won't be able to see an advantage.

In fact if you study literature from the Muzzle loading cannon era you will see the mention of windage and what the optimum windage is.  Windage in this case being the difference in the diameter of the bore and projectile.  The recommendation for safe shooting is minimum .010.

It's bad enough when a rifle bursts, bursting one of these big guns will be ugly.  

The Muzzloading Cannon shooting experts recommend that you have a ring gauge for your cannon.  This tubular gauge should be three calibers long and a few thousandths small in diameter.  Every projectile should put through this gauge before the projectile.  the projectile should pass through this gauge freely.

I have recommend here on the board that if you are going to shoot cannons you need to pick up a copy of the Switlik's  The More Complete Cannoneer.  Not only does it cover how to shoot your gun safely but there is some neat information on making projectiles and guns. It's an interesting book.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 12:18:11 PM »
thanks guys. I will have to pick up that book. DM