Author Topic: Info needed on old Marlin .22 LR Model 88-22  (Read 1090 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Info needed on old Marlin .22 LR Model 88-22
« on: March 17, 2004, 02:19:10 PM »
:D , Hi guys, I posted over on the rimfire section but this is an old gun and perhaps this is the place to go for info. I am trying to find out whatever I can about a .22 LR semi-auto that I have. It is Marlin Model 88-22 which has a tubular feed through the buttstock. It is a full size gun with a nice walnut stock.  The gun looks and feels like it is a centerfire rifle. It feels more like a 30-06 in your hands instead of a .22. For the limited shooting I have done with it, it functions perfectly and is very accurate. There is no serial number on the gun. Thanks for any info you might be able to supply....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Info needed on old Marlin .22 LR Model 88-2
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 03:33:42 PM »
MSP RET, Marlin 88 C Takedown model 24 inch barrel holds 14 cartridges 22 lr and weighs 6.75 # Made in 1947 to 1956. A 88 DL was made with a peep sight and checkered stock and sling swivels and made in 53 to 56. Sounds like ya got a nice old Marlin congrats. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 04:11:56 PM »
Thanks jh45gun,  I appreciate the time and help you have given me, hope I can help you out someday....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 02:22:21 PM »
Well I finally got out to the range at my gun club today, the first day of spring on Cape Cod (where the the chamber of commerce says it doesn't snow!) and there is only about 6" of snow left on the ground at the range. It's a bit muddy on the dirt roads leading out to the back range but worth the trip to shoot again at a longer distance than the backyard allows. This old Model 88-22 is a real shooter. With it's rough and large iron sights it shoots great groups at 25 and 50 yards. About 1/2 " at 25 and 1" to 1 1/4" groups at 50 yards. I am very sure the gun is capable of much better but the sights won't allow it. I wanted to shoot it at 100 yards but the front bead covered the entire paper target, not only the bullseye, but the entire square paper!!! It shoots CCI Mini Mags great with no jams but the groups open up a bit and the gun jams somewhat with Federal American Eagle Hi-speed hollowpoints. They are known to be "dirty" rounds anyway I just had most of a brick left so I thought I'd try them. It sure feels good in your hands, a real "man-sized" rifle for a .22 LR. Because of it's mass and weight coupled with the recoil activated semi-auto action it does not even seem to move when you shoot it. It is indeed a "Keeper" !!! Thanks for the info, it was appreciated....<><.... :grin:

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 06:46:46 PM »
Glad to hear you got a "Keeper" The older I get the more I like older guns instead of the new ones on the market. The new supermags just have no appeal to me give me a standard or old obsolete caliber in a older style rifle and that works for me. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.