Author Topic: Matte vs. Gloss finish Leupold scope  (Read 1626 times)

Offline forge

• Trade Count: (0)
Matte vs. Gloss finish Leupold scope
« on: March 20, 2004, 07:52:19 PM »
I may be buying a 3-9x40 Leupold scope off of a gentleman for my Winchester Mod 70 30-.06.  Because of my limited budget (and wife), I have to choose between a matte finish Leupold VX-I or a gloss finish VX-II.  How much better is a VX-II scope over a VX-I, and is a matte finish that much more desirable than gloss?  

Can’t decide which one to get – all input would be appreciated.

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 05:05:05 AM »
I would think scope performance is more important than the finish.  Get the VX-II.  Particularly if it is a 2004 VX-II.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 07:49:21 AM »
First you need to get a new wife......(just kidding)

You might look at other scopes. I think there are better options that Leupold in that price range.
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 01:45:42 PM »
Do not know why your options are just those two.  I would look for a VXI in a gloss finish myself.  The VXI suits all my needs and the gloss finish is $20 less than the matte.  Matte or Gloss is a personal preference.  My preference is gloss, which is why I will never own one of the much bragged about 3200's since they are only available in matte.  That plus the fact that I am not an optic snob and cannot tell enough difference between the different brands in the same price range to get me excited.

Offline forge

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 08:40:22 PM »
Bullseye,

The Leupold matte VX-I and gloss VX-II are being offered to me at a very low price (my neighbor selling them will be having surgery soon).  The VX-I is NIB and the VX-II (2004 model) has been used once.  That is why they're being sold at the same price.  I was originally going to buy a Nikon Prostaff.

Thanks for your feedback.  A salesman told me that a matte finish was far better than a gloss finish in terms of durability, scratch resistance, etc.  But, I felt like he was trying to offload a particular scope on me and wasn't being honest (he has been known to tell some tall tales to customers).  All of my scopes so far have been passed down to me from relatives or were issued at work, so I've never picked one out on my own.  I just want to make sure that I don't have a problem with my new scope out in the field.

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 10:00:51 AM »
Bullseye actually there is a gloss finish Elite 3200 model #32-3940G. Heres a link http://www.bushnell.com/productinfo/riflescopes/elite3200.html
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 04:30:25 PM »
Well I guess I need to be more specific.  Bushnell only makes a gloss in 3-9x40 in the 3200 series.  I own one 3-9's, three 2-7's, and four 2.5-7 handgun scopes.  Guess that means I could have supported Bushnell with one out of eight scopes.

I must be the only old fashioned person that likes the gloss black scopes or a lot of companies would not be selling many scopes since matte is in with about all companies.

By the way, I prefer a blue finish and a wood stock also.

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 06:57:41 AM »
I agree I like the glossy scopes also. When they used to be B&L elites they made a lot of glossy scopes. I've got a 6-24x40, 2.5-10x40, and a
1.5-6x36 that are older B&L elites and they are all glossy. I don't put matte scopes on my rifles unless they are parkerized or camo.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost