Author Topic: New to this game and tickled pink.  (Read 579 times)

Offline Sledge*

• Trade Count: (0)
New to this game and tickled pink.
« on: March 21, 2004, 04:15:04 AM »
Shot some of my first swaged bullets this morning and they were super. I reduced some Sierra 22 jackets to 20 caliber and swaged a few 50 gr rebated boattails to try first before I made to many just in case they didn't shoot to good.   I was using the .705 Sierra jackets and with 50 grains they came out with about .0100 open space at the tip of the hollow point.  I haven't tried these on any game yet but I'm sure they will work well as an explosive bullet.  ( Thanks Mr. Starke, I tried to copy some of your bullets)   Well now all I have to do is swage about 1000 and load up some for my new 204 Ruger and it's off to the Prairie Dog Towns.   I'd like to thank everybody on here for the super knowledge I have picked up from reading your posts.
   Thanks   Sledge
KEEP YOUR NOSE TO THE WIND AND YOUR POWDER DRY!

Offline Clint Starke

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 08:55:33 PM »
Thanks Mr. Sledge, hope you have lots of fun both at the swaging bench and the P. dog patch.

One little trick you may want to try to give your bullets a tiny bit more explosive effect in the field has to do with lube during the pointing process. As you may have noticed, you'll get some swage creases in the point, depending upon the amount of lube you use. The less lube, the less the swage creases appear, almost to the point of not being able to really see them. When I was making rap .22's, I liked to re-lube the bullets again (tumbling in a rubber lined Tumblers Tumbler) before pointing. I firmly believe a fairly pronounced (visible) swage crease pre-stresses the jacket a bit, which increases it's ability to expand quickly. You can overdo this, and end up with collapsed points, so go slow, adding a little bit more lube then pointing a few. When you can actually feel the crease click over your thumbnail, you're there. And the extra lube makes pointing a lot easier on the arm.

.0100" is a pretty big open point. I had a .063 ejection pin in the RP point up die, and ended up with point openings of about .063/.068", measured with the I.D. points of a caliper.  If you are using a Corbin die, you most likely have a .072" ejection pin. Are you ejecting the bullet by contacting the bullet point with the ejection pin, or are you pushing the bullet out of the die by ejection pin contact with the core? I have a couple of thoughts, depending upon which method you are using.

Just out of curiosity, how far from the point does the lead come in a .20 caliber 50 grainer?

C.S.

Offline Clint Starke

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 08:58:52 PM »
Correction to above post, I didn't mean "rap" bullet, I meant RP, like Red Prairie.

C.S.