Author Topic: A little Tolerance Can Lead To Some Special Friendships  (Read 499 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
A little Tolerance Can Lead To Some Special Friendships
« on: March 21, 2004, 06:57:48 AM »
Ya know, I've got this guy who comes into the shop almost every single day.  I've known him for about a year now, but other's have known him for many years.

He will talk your ear off every time if you let him.  Sometimes he'll even follow you around. He believes the world, as we know it, is coming to an end on Monday.  That's right, tomorrow!  Oh, he's not loud, or anything like that. He gives almost all his money to some religious group which he believes will help improve America. He's even sued the government -- which resulted in his being followed by the FBI for awhile.  Sometimes, he'll mention the black helicopters that he believes are coming at night, and sometimes, customers will even leave the store to get out from underneath his endless monologue and preaching. Yup, I'm sure we've lost some business because of him.

He's about 75 years old, has health problems, but he's also the nicest guy you'd ever meet. He'd truly give you the shirt off his back if he believed you needed it.

He drinks alot of coffee, smokes plenty of cigarettes, and loves the outdoors.

You know what, I don't care who he annoys.  If any customer gave him crap, I'd kick THEM out.  He's family.  He's got heart.  In his life, our little gun shop is HIS family.

The other day, he showed up as usual.  He's cleaning out his garage because he doesn't think he's going to need any more paramilitary or tactical equipment since the world is ending on Monday anyhow.  I offered to buy his stuff - hoping to resell it at the store, or even put it up on consignment for him to help him recover some of his money.  

He would have none of that.  He WANTED for me to have it all since he knew I moved recently and had to get rid of a bunch of my stuff.  You know what?  Sometimes it's really hard not to see him as a pain in the butt, but when I realize how much WE matter to him, and see the gratitude he has for US - then the truth of the whole thing really hits me hard - things are just as they should be.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
A little Tolerance Can Lead To Some Special
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 09:33:40 AM »
A tip of the hat to you BamBams, you sound like a pretty nice, understanding, and forgiving guy, sounds Christian-like to. May someone be as good to you some day as you are to him...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 01:02:04 PM »
My dad always told me to be nice to people if nothing more than 2 reasons. #1. You never know when you will run into them again. #2. You never know who they know. Because of that I have met some people who are a little different, but some of the finest people I could ever know. Some times it is harder to be kind to a person. but in the long run it usually pays off. I dont mean that it pays off with money or goods, but more so a true friendship. Ya did good BamBam

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 03:49:30 PM »
Good post! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I feel just like you said about stuff like that. There's a lot of odd people in the world. Heck, I've been called that in some circles! LOL!

Through the years I've racked up a few friends too by looking past "odd" traits, looks, or what ever else. From my experience, a lot of these "odd" people have more morals, and character than the majority of the "normal" people I've met in my life.

Jesus was sorta looked on as an "oddball" too...

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 12:37:38 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Lester
Good post! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I feel just like you said about stuff like that. There's a lot of odd people in the world. Heck, I've been called that in some circles! LOL!

Through the years I've racked up a few friends too by looking past "odd" traits, looks, or what ever else. From my experience, a lot of these "odd" people have more morals, and character than the majority of the "normal" people I've met in my life.

Jesus was sorta looked on as an "oddball" too...

Amen to what you said about Jesus!!     :lol:
Deactivated as trouble maker