Author Topic: A GREAT BRENNEKE SLUGS ARTICLE  (Read 2843 times)

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
A GREAT BRENNEKE SLUGS ARTICLE
« on: March 21, 2004, 11:14:35 AM »
I found this great article on Brenneke!

http://www.gunweek.com/2002/feature1201.html
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 01:40:17 PM »
That is a very cool article...I use Brenneke KO Sabots in my Remington 870 with a Hastings fully rifled cantilever scope mount barrel.

So this is what my KO sabots look like after they are fired?

OUCH!!
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Rogmatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »
Why is a rifled (Foster) slug being fired through a rifled barrel. Of course it's going to tear it up. Maybe I missed something.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 11:43:49 AM »
Not neccessarily Rogmatt, Read that Brenneke article. If you do not want to read the entire article just scroll down to where it starts "Slug Ribs" and read from there. It is interesting and informative, especially what it says about the rifling on shotgun slugs and how it acts and reacts in a rifled barrel and how much spin it imparts to the slug (minimal). I learned a lot from the article. There are quite a few of us out here that do, more occasionally than not, shoot rifled slugs from rifled barrels, and some with good results!!! It may not be politically correct, but then neither am I. And thanks to you offhand35, for referencing the article and posting the link for us to read. I still want to find some "KO Sabots" to try in my Tracker II....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline offhand35

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 01:16:07 PM »
You're welcome MSP!! :D
Actually, YOU are the one who steered me toward the Brenneke's!
I'm more interested in the sabot slugs myself. I have a 16ga smoothbore custom Mossberg bolt action slug gun that shoots the rifled slugs ok, but it takes a while to scrub all the lead out after a range session. I don't think the Brenneke KO slugs are offered in 16ga, but I haven't looked real hard yet...

Ballistic Products    http://www.ballisticproducts.com  sells the all the Brenneke slugs, including the sabot type, by the box AND by the case! They are near the end of the catalog, not in the slug section which is why I hadn't seen them before...

Precision Reloading in CT also lists the sabot slug.
http://www.precisionreloading.com

I have some of 3" the 410 Brenneke slugs that I carry in my American Derringer model 4 45/410....for hiking ...I fired it twice with that slug, which was sufficient......

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 02:14:52 PM »
offhand35, go to www.brenneke.com then click on "english" in the upper right hand corner, click on "products" then go to "shotgun slugs" and then to "product range". Yes they make 16 gauge slugs and I think you are possibly looking for the Brenneke "Classics" to shoot in that sweet looking mannlicher 16 gauge. What a beauty!!! I have always had a soft spot in my heart for 16's. One of my first guns was a loaned Stevens single shot 16 (the same friend of the family also let me borrow his 1897 Winchester 12 with a 32" full choke barrel, it is a take down and I now own it, but the 16 is long gone. I made a "better" forearm for the 16 out of a piece of  pine 2x4 !!!! I still have a nice old but well used Savage 16 O/U that is coveted by several of my friends, I have never told them though that the stock fits me so poorly that I end up with a bruised cheekbone every time I shoot more than 3 or 4 shots out of it, but I would not part with it for anything!!! Good luck with the brenneke's and again what a sweet looking slug gun!!!....<><.... :grin:, Thanks for the info on Ballistics Products andby the way, that derringer must be a handful, I am sure firing it twice would get the job done!!
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 02:51:41 PM »
I actually thought that pic I posted was of a KO Sabot but I could be wrong.  The KO looks like that when it is encased in the sabot though.  It has those ribs on it.  It does a mean number on the target that we use.  Much more damage than what the Winchester Partition Golds in the same target...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline offhand35

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 03:20:20 PM »
W NY W'R, I agree, the frontal area of the Brenneke is almost like a HUGE wadcutter! And the weight forward design keeps them on track. I'm beginning to think that I was going in the wrong direction starting out with the Lyman cast slug and the Tracker II.........although I'll bet the 1 3/8 oz Super Mag would be just as punishing.....the deer that I did get with the Lyman had a hole you could run a pipe through......

MSP, thanks for the comments, somehow I thought you'd like to see that Mossberg. But when it downpoured for 3 days out of 4 that I could go for  shotgun deer season last year, the Tracker II was elected to go....

Thanks for the link to the Brenneke site......the Brenneke USA site doesn't say anything about  16ga though......the people at Ballistic Products would probably be able to help if anybody could....