Author Topic: .450 Marlin in Ultra Rifle?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Extremesolo

• Trade Count: (4)
.450 Marlin in Ultra Rifle?
« on: March 23, 2004, 08:10:36 AM »
Anyone shoot one of these.  I see them listed on their website and would like to purchase a barrel to hunt deer and just play around with.  Any recommendations/experiences are welcomed.    Thanks,  Andrew
Stop telling God how big your problems are, and start telling your problems how big your God is!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 08:14:44 AM »
Do yourself a favor and buy a 45-70 instead....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:12:56 AM »
After shooting one, I sure don't want one in a Handi.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline brown-trout

• Trade Count: (0)
i agree..
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 02:29:22 PM »
i agree with the two fellas before me....
 45-70 is better choice...cheaper ammo, more likely to find 45-70 than 450 marlin if one is out "in the sticks"....more reloading data (if one is inclined to reload...), and i feel 450 marlin really offers nothing that 45-70 does.

too much kick in these light rifles...i got a 270 Win Handi recently...
PERFECT

unless you are after brown bear, this is the way to go...270 Win is  enough for all of our hoofed friends, flat enough for pronghorn and ammo is everywhere.  there is a reason that Jack O'Connor felt this was our best "mountain rifle" ....no one should hunt brown bears with a handi anyway (ooops , 1 shot, miss, rawwwhhhh!!!!...wind up dinner for ma and her two cubs...)
just my .02
brown trout.
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 02:49:04 AM »
My advise is listen to your self about which one you want. Everybody seems to dis the 450 Marlin because of the 45-70. :evil:  Don't get me wrong the 45-70 is a grand cartidge but the 450 is just as good. Not better and not worse. I've read about both extensivley, the case capacity is the same. I'm not biased like some I'll tell you up front the 450 shells cost more and 45-70 300 grain bullet will handle about anything. If price is a factor get the 45-70. I have the 450 in a handi and it is not that bad on recoil. It is not something your going to the range and shoot 20 shells. Seem to remember someone here shooting there 45-70 a good bit and getting a very bruised shoulder. Another thing we are shooting single shoots so we already know how to conserve ammo when hunting. So it does not matter what is setting on the ammo shelves out in the sticks because all the people I konw do not put thereself in a position were there out hunting and run low on ammo. To each is own. I want a 45-70 but I want something different. I want a Gibbs Enfield 45-70 :-D

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline Extremesolo

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 06:20:05 AM »
Thanks for the replys so far.  I do not handload so i would be shooting factory loads and I know 45-70 factory loads are very "watered down".  It seems to me from the above posts the 450 is a little more fire power in a factory load with the recoil being very similar.  I will keep looking in to it before I make a final decision.   Thanks,  Andrew
Stop telling God how big your problems are, and start telling your problems how big your God is!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
450 vs 45-70
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 06:22:09 AM »
Well here's an old debate that just won't ever stop :wink:   The 450M is the ballistically  equivalent to the 45-70. The difference is the case...period.What you can load for the 45-70 you can load for the 450...The main draw back comes to owning one of these is the fact of not being able to walk in to your favorite store and pick up a box or two in various bullet weights...or pick up some mild Cowboy loads.

Handloading for the two is a different story...especially in one is loading for a Lever Action rifle like the Marlins...the great debate that is forever on going is to the strength of the 2 different receivers and just how much pressure both can withstand.

The main problem a-lot of folks have is pressure...and just how far can you load up to with the 45-70...if you look at the factory offerings you will see what I mean.The 45-70 is generally under loaded from a-lot of peoples viewpoint....due to the old trapdoor rifles still in circulation... and from a liability and safety standpoint you would really have to buy some of the specialty loads that are offered to get the same performance out of it as compared to the 450.

With the 450 that's not the case...this cartridge was designed from the get-go as a high pressure- higher velocity round used in Marlins somewhat  reworked 1895 lever action .unfortunately for the makers of this fine round...people have been handloading for the 45-70 at the same if not higher pressures and velocity for a very long time...and the majority of these handloaders cannot see the need for the 450 since they are getting better results from their 45-70's. From my humble opinion...this is one of the main reasons that you don't see the proliferation of various bullet weight combinations from the Major ammo makers...

All of the debate could have been avoided if the institute that test the ammo and sets the standards for the cartridges(SA.A.M.I) had revisited the 45-70 and upgraded it in its standings...but they haven't nor do I believe that they ever will...due to the availability of the much older and weaker actions that are still in use today.

But all of this is moot when using the Handi since the pressure limit of the rifle have been set and are a bit more easy to follow.  Depending on a few things like, whether you were going to reload and on how much recoil you can tolerate,how much do you want to spend on ammo,would be how I would choose between the two for the Handi.

Both can be handloaded and you can  load for the 45-70 as hot as the 450 and vice-versa with a small decrease in pressure due to the slightly larger case capacity of the 45-70...but out of a 7lb handi those type of loads are going to be brutal to say the least....

Mac

I was typing as you made your last post...since you do not handload as yet you  need to look at just what rounds are available to you to be able to buy off the shelf or order via the internet...this might help you deceide.

Getting into handloading will open a whole new world to your shooting and allow you to taylor your loads to your needs much easier than having to depend on your favorite store carrying the ammo you want or having to wait on it to be shipped to you.

Best of Luck to you

mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 11:40:08 AM »
extreme
I'd say it depends on what you hunt.  The factory loadings in 405 and 300gr loads are suffeecient to take nearly any animal on this continent.  The 45-70 was used in black powder versions for many uears and the factory loads duplicate those.  the nice thing about the 45-70 is you CAN get lower level loads. Not so with 450.  If that is not a concern, go with whatever strike your fancy the most and enjoy it.

Just get out and shoot the dang thang!!
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline woodsrunner

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
450 marlin
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 05:31:22 PM »
heard NEF quit making the 450 and I don't see  it listed on the web-site. Best hurry if you want one.  Good hunting--woodsrunner
Good Hunting--Woodsrunner

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 03:42:09 PM »
Extreamsolo:  If you don't reload, no problem.  If you want 45-70 loads that are not watered down for the old trapdoors, easy just get the Buffalo Bore 45-70 Ammo.  You can get them in 350gr JFN, 405gr JFN, 430gr LBT-LFN, 500gr FMJ-FN.  I plan on using 400gr handloads for Grizzly this spring, I don't want to have nothing to do with those 500gr loads.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline bull b 25-06

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 04:34:09 PM »
I got my 45/70 this february,and first added 1.5 pounds of lead shot to the butt bolt hoole and pounded a cork in it. I must say the recoil is not that bad at all using Remington 300gr. factory loads. For every 1/2 pound of weight added it reduces the recoil by 1 felt pound. Also recently bought 2 LEE presses so i can reload the way i want. The possibilities are endless with reloading. You can even use .357 slugs/w. sabots.

later bull b 25-06
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules