Author Topic: Savage .45 ACP Pistols: History & Disassembly  (Read 394 times)

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
Savage .45 ACP Pistols: History & Disassembly
« on: March 29, 2023, 11:27:43 AM »

In the US pistol trials of 1907 that eventually led to the adoption of the Colt/Browning Model 1911, the two strongest competitors to the Browning design were the Luger and the Savage. Luger declined the opportunity to participate in extended field trials, and so the two finalists were Browning and Savage.

Savage had their original 1907 pistol, of which approximately 288 were manufactured. Fifteen of these were modified to a 1910 pattern to improve them, and then a further 5 pistols were made new for the final set of trials, to a third pattern (the 1911 model of the Savage).

In this video were are looking at all three varieties, along with information on how the guns were later resold to the public, how to disassemble them, and how the function mechanically.

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
Re: Savage .45 ACP Pistols: History & Disassembly
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 02:04:45 AM »
Bob: Thanks for the video. It was worth watching.
Appearance wise the Savage guns remind me of the Spanish Astra 400/600.

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 10:35:34 AM »
I have the 32 acp variety. Cool little gun. Would like a spare mag and a front sight for it as the first time I shot it the sight entered a black hole and disappeared, even used a super strong magnet and swept the area to no avail.

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 11:07:43 AM »
Savage is back in the handgun market with it's new compact 9mm  The Savage "Stance." They call it a micro compact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skpD8-lYAyM
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
Re: Savage .45 ACP Pistols: History & Disassemb
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 01:38:32 AM »
I have the 32 acp variety. Cool little gun. Would like a spare mag and a front sight for it as the first time I shot it the sight entered a black hole and disappeared, even used a super strong magnet and swept the area to no avail.
Maybe you have already done this but: Triple K makes magazines for the .32.
Numrich Arms has factory original slides with the integral front sight. Unfortunately no front sight alone. How was the sight attached? I am guessing that it was staked.

Offline Mule 11

Re: Savage .45 ACP Pistols: History & Disassemb
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 01:57:40 AM »
Maybe you have already done this but: Triple K makes magazines for the .32.
Numrich Arms has factory original slides with the integral front sight. Unfortunately no front sight alone. How was the sight attached? I am guessing that it was staked.

There is a hole there that goes through the slide. I did not take it apart before firing so I’m not sure how it was attached. Probably staked as you said.