Author Topic: When did this room die?  (Read 1845 times)

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
When did this room die?
« on: March 23, 2004, 01:32:17 PM »
I guess it was with the server problems.  Man, remember all the excitement and hoopla the first couple of weeks after the old site was killed?  That was great.  Now this room has very little posts.  I posted a few times.  You know my ussual off topic stuff.  Well, most of it was moved by the mods over to the Misc. forum.  Can't blame them for that.  The problem with that room is that it has NO traffic now.  I was hoping that this place would be just like the old board.     I'm sad to say that it's not.  Not even close. :cry:  

WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
When did this room die?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 02:20:40 PM »
:D , Hi whitedogone glad to hear from you again, This is the finest and also the most active site BY FAR regarding our favorite guns since the demise of the old H&R site. Perhaps the problem is with members who do not frequent it enough or don't post to it. Pardon me (just to be polite you understand) but with only 59 posts since 09-July-03 and your looking for a reason for (your perceived) lack of posts you just have to look in the mirror. You were like a founding father at the old site, what happened to you here? Here You have averaged about 1.6 posts a week since you signed on, not a barnburner by anyones standards, now your complaining about not much traffic here. I love you like a brother but sort of sounds like the guy that bought a house near our gun club range for a cheap price then complained about the noise. Hope to see many more posts from you in the future, it's really a nice busy friendly place to hang out, lots of great people and information....<><.... :grin:  Sorry to beat around the bush, always been sort of hard to speak my mind right out straight...
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline vick

• Trade Count: (0)
When did this room die?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 02:48:38 PM »
I think it's just going to take a little time and spreading of the word.  I can't complain myself.  I've made two posts in the last five days and had multiple replies on both resulting in some good discussion.  Surf some of the other boards.  When you find a NEF question, drop a link to here.  It will pick up in a bit.  Keep the faith and fight the power :lol:
Fear is but a stepping stone on the foot path to Glory.

Offline jeff223

When did this room die?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 02:51:48 PM »
hi WHITEDOGONE,how you been?wondered if you were still around.i kind of wanted for these nef talk forums to stay all in one.centerfires,rimfires,shotguns and muzz loaders on one forum.everyone voted on this and they then changed it around some.i think thats why it seems slower now.oh well thats the way it goes.

Offline vick

When did this room die?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 03:30:36 PM »
I think it's just going to take a little time and spreading of the word.  I can't complain myself.  I've made two posts in the last five days and had multiple replies on both resulting in some good discussion.  Surf some of the other boards.  When you find a NEF question, drop a link to here.  It will pick up in a bit.  Keep the faith and fight the power :lol:

Offline hvacman

When did this room die?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 03:32:51 PM »
I don't know about anyone else but after the old site shut down it took me a couple weeks to sit down and look for other sites.  I never knew this site existed before.
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
When did this room die?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 03:36:47 PM »
:D ,  Glad to have you aboard hvacman it's kind of a nice place to be....<><.. :grin: ..
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline hvacman

When did this room die?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 03:46:39 PM »
Thanks MSP Ret I like it just fine so far
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline Leftoverdj

When did this room die?
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 04:10:52 PM »
I dunno about y'all, but the weather has broken a little and I have been shooting. Shoot in good weather, post in bad.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
When did this room die?
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 04:57:07 PM »
I'm workin on my third bullet. :)  :D  Just gotta keep typing. Whitedogone you're a surfer....ride on in more often. Good to CYA again. :D
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
When did this room die?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 06:28:23 PM »
It's Spring Baby :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Tons of stuff to do...still not enough time to do it in...Everyone is still here..just busy that's all...lots of skeet and trap shooting...working on loads for the postal match...many hours of overtime at work...you know the routine :wink:

Don't worry...it'll pick up

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
When did this room die?
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 06:32:35 PM »
Like most have saidÂ… itÂ’s spring.   But time flies and they will all be backÂ…slowly.     :lol:
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
When did this room die?
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 01:48:14 AM »
Well I think anything slows down a little after awhile. The weather is starting to look better which meens it might slow down a little more but like everything else it will pick up at times. I believe some of the old topics we discuss have been beat like a ole rug. I'm not complaining though. We need that 22-250, 204 ruger, and that 17 mach II sowe have some new things to talk about. Wish H&R would get off there *** and replace the 450 marlin (which they dropped has a rifle) with the 405 Winchester.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
When did this room die?
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 03:33:18 AM »
Heck, even the old site seemed to have it's high and low post periods.  I think we were in a high post period when they yanked the rug out from under us.

It'll pick back up.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline student

When did this room die?
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 06:25:29 AM »
What everybody else said, but I also wonder if people haven't been exploring the rest of the topics on this site, and posting to other groups on Graybeard.  I know I have, because the question wasn't purely H&R/NEF, and the group I posted on seemed more focused on this topic.  When we were at the old site, it seemed more like "one stop shopping"   This is more like a cafeteria.

Maybe the Postal Match will get things fired up a bit!

Student

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
When did this room die?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2004, 06:38:11 AM »
I've been busy around the place now that the snow is gone.  Maintenance on vehicles, tractors, equipment, etc.  Also have plans for a new tree stand location in an old oak on one side of the creek over looking a badly overgrown weedy dead down treed area.  I plan to clean out the downed trees, trim up the remainders, and put in some grass/clover mix in the areas the sun hits.  It's about 60x40 yard area.  Should make a good staging area for deer to meet and wonder around in before moving out to my clover plots.  I talked to an old farmer that owned the land next to mine and he said when that bottom area was pastured and picked up the deer would rummage around the 60x40 area most of the day before coming into the fields at night.  Well, I'm going to see if I can turn back the clock and recreate that situation.  I know 3 typical 150 point class bucks and one big 16 point non typical buck made it through hunting seasons without being taken (one 150 point buck was taken by a 10 year old, a 12 pointer :eek: ), so this fall is could be a good one!  8)

I'm also planting more clover, about 4 to 6 acres worth.  Also splitting next years fire wood.  It's been down for 2 to 3 years but needs split to finish drying.

Been busy, but having a lot of fun!!!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
When did this room die?
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 06:40:27 AM »
I don't know...It doesn't seem all that dead to me.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
When did this room die?
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 07:15:48 AM »
Oh, and I'm preparing for turkey season in 22 days 14 hours 28 minutes.  :grin:

Also trying new tactics for coyotes.  So far I'm skunked for the month :?   but came close late Monday just before dark.  I had one yip and howl in response to my calls as he worked up a ditch to circle me.  But before he popped out to give me a shot he must have stepped on a badger.  I imagine the badger was in the colvert the coyote had to walk past to get to me.  Anyway it sounded pretty intense, unfortunately even though I was only 80 or so yards away I couldn't see any of it since it was down in the ditch.  After about 10 seconds the yipping stopped, and about 5 seconds after that the badgers growling stopped.  Hmmm, didn't sound good for the coyote.  Nothing ever came out of the ditch, but the coyote concevibly could have ran back down the ditch the way he had came (but I didn't hear him).  Shortly after the fight darkness set in so I didn't get a chance to check out the fight area, plus the badger was likely still close by and probably still in a foul mood.

One of the odd things that happens when coyote hunting.

later,
scruffy

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
When did this room die?
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2004, 09:10:57 AM »
I love this site and its good to have a good place talk over the Handi rifles. I thank the folks who took us in. :-)
shot placement is everything.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
When did this room die?
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 02:39:18 PM »
It is a busy time of year, I'll buy that but I've always jumped back and forth between H+R/NEF and other gun sites and it's no different here. I really like sites that are friendly, lively, and informative, and that describes this site to a tee. I feel lucky to be among such nice people, with a common interest.
Don

Offline Bis

• Avid Poster
When did this room die?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 03:13:16 PM »
I have to agree with Whitedogone, it does not seem the same as the old site. I don't know why but its not the same. It is a great site, just different. Maybe its like when you buy your first house and live there for years until you move up and buy a better house, yes its bigger nicer and all, but after a while you keep thinking about the old house.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
When did this room die?
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 04:41:05 PM »
It's hard to go back home after you have left best to go forward and rember the good times. :-)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
When did this room die?
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2004, 05:10:05 PM »
seriously though, I think it might be a combination of things

1. Gun stores and warehouse are at a very low level of stock right now because inventory tax is being taken.

2. Not much is in season and it's between winter hunting and spring turkey and summer varminting.

3. Most places it's windy this time of year and alot of places are rainy so it's hard to shoot at the range.

4. It's tax season and many people owe this year with the deduction rates being changed last year so many new purchases are put on hold.

After turkey season gets closer and gets into full swing I expect the shotgun forum to pick up and after the weather straightens out I expect the ranges to pick up and have more reports of groups here in the centerfire forum.  And when the tax returns for those lucky to get one start arriving and being deposited gun sales will increase AFTER the inventories are restocked.  Most of the place online and offline I look at for nef's are running very low right now.

But once us regulars can get out and shoot and hunt again and people can purchase new nef's I suspect the forums will pick back up.  It's all cyclical.

later,
scruffy

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
When did this room die?
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 05:15:25 PM »
Onward and Upward guys, Onward and Upward. Remember it's not the house that makes the home, it's the family....<><.... :grin:

Offline TeePee

When did this room die?
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2004, 06:08:01 PM »
:D Don't know how it was but it seems busy. Busier is better. :-)

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
When did this room die?
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2004, 06:20:36 PM »
If this room is dead, I must be reading it in Heaven?  :grin: Think maybe it's the time of the year? Tax time? Spring time? Better weather and shooting time.  :)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
When did this room die?
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 05:54:47 AM »
Quote from: Bis
I have to agree with Whitedogone, it does not seem the same as the old site. I don't know why but its not the same. It is a great site, just different. Maybe its like when you buy your first house and live there for years until you move up and buy a better house, yes its bigger nicer and all, but after a while you keep thinking about the old house.

I think that one of the main differences with our new home as compared to the "old" place is that we have evovled into a different type of family.The trouble makers aren't here anymore constantly starting a fight or being their usual troll selves.

While this may make it different and seem a little slow for someones taste...I much prefere my "extended family" here than what was there. Here we can ask questions and disagree with one another on  what has been posted,wittout the fear of being drug over the coals for having a different view on a paticular issue.

This makes it so much easier to exchange needed information...and having an enjoyable adult conversation,without all the petty arguments...

Life is good

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Bis

• Avid Poster
When did this room die?
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2004, 03:00:41 PM »
So does this mean that I can bug you guys with really dumb questions about my 243 Ultra like I did at our old home (where I was know as Kbisbee)? The problem is that I am about to start reloading (as soon as I finish reading all the books) and that means that I have to direct all my questions to a different forum, not the ones I have asked for help in the past at the H&R forum. I have a lot of confidence in the info I have received from the old group, although I still wounder about a 30-06 for "squirrel"  :-) .

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
When did this room die?
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2004, 05:36:01 PM »
Most of the sites I frequent are slow right now.  

Most people don't have the luxury Bis and I have of mowing the grass and then getting to shoot, like I did today.  

When everyone starts hunting again or working up loads for the next season, things will pick up.

Offline vick

When did this room die?
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2004, 07:19:44 PM »
Whitedogone, maybe it's just me but since you started this post it seems like things are moving a bit more.  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention before, but there seem to be a lot more posts in the last few days.