Author Topic: anyone ever say no on a truck over 500 bucks  (Read 374 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
anyone ever say no on a truck over 500 bucks
« on: June 09, 2023, 05:42:21 AM »
trying to find a short box standard cab ram or silverado. ben trying to dicker price on two rams. both around 15k. i dont NEED a fourth vehicle but ive got an itch for one for basically another toy. neither seller would come even 500 bucks down. a guy likes to feel he gets at least a little win out of negotiation. any time ive ever sold something ive asked a bit more then id take. im about bullheaded enough that i told both of them to pound sand. ive never ran into this before. Is this the new way?
blue lives matter

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: anyone ever say no on a truck over 500 bucks
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 06:11:36 AM »
A truck is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  If the owners don't sell it for asking price they will come down if they want to sell it at all.  I don't understand how trucks are still holding their value with the cost of fuel. That is if people use them for a "look at me I have a truck" status, or for just transportation, and there are a lot of those.  I worked with a guy that drove a pickup 40 minutes to work in a brand new Chevy pickup, and bitched about the price of gas. I don't believe he ever hauled anything in it.   
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 06:24:10 AM »
i thought kind of the same. short box standard cab trucks arent typicaly what people want. back seat mades them alot more practical. with the price of gas and interest rates high i would think there wouldnt be a big demand for this type of truck
blue lives matter

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 06:57:23 AM »
      Try a paper sack full of cash , flash it  in front of them . An say take it or leave it .

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 07:02:00 AM »
Depends on how much you want it whether you will pay the price. It also depends on how much the seller wants to sell it whether he will come down to your offer. I sold my 85 Dodge Ram (225 slant 6) last year for what I was asking and a guy drove over from Idaho to get it. I had it for sale for several years at that price and refused lower offers. I can't see that I had any obligation to sell it for less than I asked. Obviously the guy who bought it wanted it enough to drive over to get it at the price I was asking. That is, it depends on what each party wants and how much.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 07:42:53 AM »
gene im a go fast muscle car kind of guy. i have visions of slapping a supercharger on it but that said you had a very cool truck and a 3 on the tree slant six? i probably couldnt pass up. dont think ive ever seen one
Depends on how much you want it whether you will pay the price. It also depends on how much the seller wants to sell it whether he will come down to your offer. I sold my 85 Dodge Ram (225 slant 6) last year for what I was asking and a guy drove over from Idaho to get it. I had it for sale for several years at that price and refused lower offers. I can't see that I had any obligation to sell it for less than I asked. Obviously the guy who bought it wanted it enough to drive over to get it at the price I was asking. That is, it depends on what each party wants and how much.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 07:43:49 AM »
both were 300 miles away so i couldnt do that
      Try a paper sack full of cash , flash it  in front of them . An say take it or leave it .
blue lives matter

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 09:59:20 AM »
gene im a go fast muscle car kind of guy. i have visions of slapping a supercharger on it but that said you had a very cool truck and a 3 on the tree slant six? i probably couldnt pass up. dont think ive ever seen one

Actually a 4 on the Floor.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 10:21:55 AM »
sure it was a slant 6 and not a v6. i looked on line and it said the last year  the slant 6 was used was 1983
blue lives matter

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 11:17:52 AM »

I've said no over $500.00 over 110 thousand dollar peterbilt trucks when buying and selling. Same with several cars and pickups. I'll give what I'm willing to give, and I'll take what I'm willing to take.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 11:18:41 AM »
It was a slant 6 not a V6. We had to remove the manifold to replace the blown gasket to stop the racket.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 12:27:00 PM »
If you are interested. I would call back in a week or so and make them the same offer. If they didn't sell yet,  your offer has a better chance of being accepted.   
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline GTS225

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 12:39:17 PM »
sure it was a slant 6 and not a v6. i looked on line and it said the last year  the slant 6 was used was 1983

Don't know where you looked, Lloyd, but that info is only partially true.  1983 was the last year for use of the slant in autos.

The slant was still used in vans and pickups until '87.  Thanks to the (then) new 3.0L, V-6, the tried-and-true slant was dropped from the engine lineup.

Oh......I've actually made the trip from Waterloo, Iowa to Minneapolis, Minnesoata to look at a Dodge Dakota.  Nice truck, right equipment and mileage, could have paid cash right there.  Had a potentially major electrical issue during the test drive.  (Stalled out, found loose battery connection, fired right back up, but still.)  Dealer didn't want to fix it......told me that I knew how to do such things, and I could take care of it.  I responded with "the truck should be ready to go before it gets sold".  No favorable response from the dealer, and I walked.  8 hours worth of round-trip driving for nothing, but there was no way I was going to take that kind of risk driving it back home.

Roger, a real slant enthusiast.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 01:25:45 PM »
Not sure why, but trucks all over seem awful high priced. I've got a feeling that it might not last much longer. Seen this back in the 90's with Harley. Sold my '91 Road King for exactly what I paid for it new from a dealer.($10,500) with 20,000 miles on it in 2003. Now Harleys are all over the place used, still want an arm and a leg for a new one. Trucks will probably do the same. Can't see how people can justify paying $75,000 and up for a pick up, even if it has a diesel engine.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 01:33:22 PM »
Saw a slightly used but sharp looking GMC SUV this evening on the dealership lot 80 thousand on the windshield.

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2023, 03:09:33 PM »
Saw a slightly used but sharp looking GMC SUV this evening on the dealership lot 80 thousand on the windshield.

WOW

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2023, 03:49:56 PM »
My bil gave over 70 for a half ton loaded gmc pickup with the small deisel. New pickups are crazy priced.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 05:53:23 PM »
Lloyd, not a truck but a gun, I saw my cousin Lewis walk away after a negotiation with the price only $5 over what he was willing to give. And to top it off it was a gun he was really seriously looking for and wanting to buy. A lousy $5 and he walked away from the gun of his dreams.

Now I might walk because of $500 but would never do so if it was something I wanted over a measly $5.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2023, 06:24:19 PM »
I once had an old cowboy working for me. He told me that he wouldn't buy something unless the seller came down on the price. I asked him what he would do if it was priced at half what it was worth and he replied that he still would walk if they didn't come down on the asking price. To me, that's nuts, but to each their own way.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2023, 10:28:15 PM »
told the wife maybe its God steering away from buying a piece of crap. guess ive never been one that would allow some to  use or control me. ive got that alpha personality that needs to control whats happening around me. when they hold out and wont back down they are in control and it just rubs me wrong. i could see it if i was low balling them but the offers were fair. the guy with the 2x4 one asked if he could call me back in a couple weeks if it hasnt sold. i laughed and politely said dont bother.
blue lives matter

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2023, 12:22:16 AM »
Used truck prices are crazy. I recently sold 3 of my work pickups. Good dependable trucks but they had been worked hard and were tired. They all sold within hours of listing for nearly double what I felt they were worth. Felt I may have left some money on the table, but a car dealing buddy told me used trucks are just not available and that I got all the money and then some.