Re: new toy
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 07:59:13 AM »
Very nice!!!!!!! Short bed standard cab has always been a favorite of mine

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 08:30:08 AM »
used to be all id buy. my first ext cab was a new 06 chev. never really liked them but for hunting and general purpose you just cant beat them. but i missed one like this. the wife drives the ram and this one will be mine. ill put the jeep away till winter then put this one to sleep with the challenger till the salt is gone. one of those i sure dont need it things but at our age youd better enjoy what you can till you get called up.
blue lives matter

Offline neckisred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 10:26:03 PM »
My personal truck is a 95 Chevy extended cab short bed. It's primarily my hunting/winter truck. The extended cab is ugly, but as you said it is handy. Spent it's entire life in Arizona, but 7 Ohio winters are starting to take a toll. Hoping to buy a new one when I retire..............
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline DDZ

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 02:01:54 AM »
I always liked the looks of a truck with a short bed. I had a 79 chevy shortbed Scottsdale with 2 tone paint. Wish they still made the boxy looking front ends.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 07:40:45 AM »
I always liked the looks of a truck with a short bed. I had a 79 chevy shortbed Scottsdale with 2 tone paint. Wish they still made the boxy looking front ends.
yup i had 7 of those square body short box chevs. all 4x4s but one. had a black 77 step side that came with a very lame 305. drove it like that for a year till the warrantee was up then bought a 390hp 427 from a buddy who totaled his vette and the turbo 400 got a dana 44 with 411s of a wrecked 3/4 ton at the salvage yard. had to use short tube headers because i couldnt find any cast manifolds that cleared the frame. no way long tubes would work and we even had to mod one pipe on the short tubes. that truck got down the road and left some muscle cars around here shake there heads. them i got all  into the lifted 4x4s and owned 2 that ran 40s id need a wheelchair lift to get in those trucks today. biggest problem with them up here was rust. my 79 had a rust hole in the fender after one winter they replaced under warrantee. to this day to me those ARE what a truck should look like. make mine today a black step side 4x4
blue lives matter

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 11:00:13 AM »
     Luv to have a 1972 swb stepside  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/chevrolet/c20 .

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 12:02:29 PM »
     Luv to have a 1972 swb stepside  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/chevrolet/c20 .

I don't know if there is such a thing as a SWB stepside. There is a SWB (short wide bed) and then there is a "stepside".

Here's all 4.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 12:10:30 PM »

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 12:27:54 PM »
That first one the blue and white long bed looks exactly like my '73 Silverado. Worst POS I've ever owned prolly. Stayed in the shop more than at home. Lost the entire brake system at around 300 miles coming down the tallest mountain in Alabama with a load of rocks in the bed.

Lost the transmission at 3000 miles. It took them almost forever to get a new transmission and install it. At least they loaned me another new truck to drive while they had mine in the shop. Used theirs that hunting season.

When ya mash the gas it acted like it was gonna go then it didn't, just almost died. I had one day in the entire time I owned it that it didn't do that.

I could go on for a long time with the problems it had but you get the idea. It was a total piece of crap excuse for a new truck.

Bad thing is I had traded in an also bought new '82 Oldsmobile Delta 88 to get it. That Olds was almost as bad as the Chevy. Both stayed in the shop almost as much as at my house.

I've never owned another GM product since and never will.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 01:18:43 PM »
That first one the blue and white long bed looks exactly like my '73 Silverado. Worst POS I've ever owned prolly. Stayed in the shop more than at home. Lost the entire brake system at around 300 miles coming down the tallest mountain in Alabama with a load of rocks in the bed.

Lost the transmission at 3000 miles. It took them almost forever to get a new transmission and install it. At least they loaned me another new truck to drive while they had mine in the shop. Used theirs that hunting season.

When ya mash the gas it acted like it was gonna go then it didn't, just almost died. I had one day in the entire time I owned it that it didn't do that.

I could go on for a long time with the problems it had but you get the idea. It was a total piece of crap excuse for a new truck.

Bad thing is I had traded in an also bought new '82 Oldsmobile Delta 88 to get it. That Olds was almost as bad as the Chevy. Both stayed in the shop almost as much as at my house.

I've never owned another GM product since and never will.
My GF was the same way , He use to say Chevrolet meant it chevaled on the road and laid in the garage . A Ford man all his life .

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 04:17:41 PM »
While in college, one of my dorm mates told of a '63 Impala he had owned.  He had bought it from a relative who had had lots of problems with it for a couple of years.  The dorm mate also had lots of problems with.  After a year or so he sold it to his cousin.  She was still driving it and had had no problems at all with it.

During the 60's, at least 80% of the vehicles in the area were Chevy's and GMC pickups. the rest were Fords and International pickups or Scouts.  The Fords were known for overheating and/or being hard to start in the winter.  Saw one or two Dodge cars, an occasional Chrysler or Nash Rambler.  I was at least 18 before I ever saw a Dodge pickup.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2023, 10:23:10 PM »
there are short box step sides and long box step sides. the wite truck you showed is a long box step side and the yellow one is shortbox step side. the long box step side went away with the introduction of square body in 74. only the short box remained. in 89 when they redesigned again they went with the ugly more streamline step side box. it remained until 2008 when they changed it up again and no longer had a step side option. could be chev called them something different but thats what everyone called them

I don't know if there is such a thing as a SWB stepside. There is a SWB (short wide bed) and then there is a "stepside".

Here's all 4.
blue lives matter

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2023, 10:31:19 PM »
SWB can refer to short wheel base or short wide body. I've always called them short beds, long beds, stepsides or fleetsides. The older 4x4 short beds rode like tanks. I bet the newer ones are pretty sweet.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2023, 10:34:45 PM »
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2023, 10:37:15 PM »
ive never heard anyone calling the short wide bodys in any configuration but it might be a regional thing. what really road horrible back then were the 3/4 tons. i used to tell the buddy someone weld his shocks up. instead of a bed liner he had a 4x8 sheet of 3/8s steel in his bed and it still road like a Sherman tank. still blows me away riding in a modern 3/4. with you eyes closed it would be tough to tell it was any different then a 1/2 ton
SWB can refer to short wheel base or short wide body. I've always called them short beds, long beds, stepsides or fleetsides. The older 4x4 short beds rode like tanks. I bet the newer ones are pretty sweet.
blue lives matter

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2023, 11:01:18 PM »
ive never heard anyone calling the short wide bodys in any configuration but it might be a regional thing. what really road horrible back then were the 3/4 tons. i used to tell the buddy someone weld his shocks up. instead of a bed liner he had a 4x8 sheet of 3/8s steel in his bed and it still road like a Sherman tank. still blows me away riding in a modern 3/4. with you eyes closed it would be tough to tell it was any different then a 1/2 ton
Whew.........the thought of driving one of those old 4x4's daily at my age makes my back and wallet hurt. I imagine it would cause more pee stops also................................

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2023, 12:15:23 AM »
I think the car and truck company that lied to me first, when I was passionate and vulnerable, set my mind against them and pointed me to go another way.  I know that's how I came to Ford, even though Ford hasn't been "the best it can be" either.

I worked in '78 for a Chevrolet dealership as a first job right out of the military.  They fired me as the Summer ended because that is what that dealership did to their non-technical staff, not because of anything I did, nor before I had bought a Monza Stationwagon. 

I took very good care of that Monza, washing, cleaning, maintaining, and in the end, Chevrolet and the "stealership" left me with an uneven exhaust head on one side of the engine, which, after six (6) breakdowns and towed returns to the stealership in the first 20,000 miles, they refused to fix.  It was a factory problem they would not warranty or correct and before Lemon Laws were defined.  So, I took a life-long set against Chevrolet.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2023, 12:31:40 AM »
yup i had 7 of those square body short box chevs. all 4x4s but one. had a black 77 step side that came with a very lame 305. drove it like that for a year till the warrantee was up then bought a 390hp 427 from a buddy who totaled his vette and the turbo 400 got a dana 44 with 411s of a wrecked 3/4 ton at the salvage yard. had to use short tube headers because i couldnt find any cast manifolds that cleared the frame. no way long tubes would work and we even had to mod one pipe on the short tubes. that truck got down the road and left some muscle cars around here shake there heads. them i got all  into the lifted 4x4s and owned 2 that ran 40s id need a wheelchair lift to get in those trucks today. biggest problem with them up here was rust. my 79 had a rust hole in the fender after one winter they replaced under warrantee. to this day to me those ARE what a truck should look like. make mine today a black step side 4x4

I had a 77 also. Shortbed, and it had the heavy half designation. It had a 350 with 4.10 rears. That truck could haul more weight than the 3/4 tons built today.  I could put a ton of gravel or sand in that truck with no problem.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2023, 03:32:57 AM »
  We always referred to our farm trucks as short or long wheelbase  whether they were 2 1/2 ton flatbeds or pickups ,  just seemed  natural the bed would correspond with the wheelbase .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2023, 04:40:50 AM »
back in my dads days they called fleetsides when they first came out wide bodys but i have ever heard anyone saying that in the 70s. when the manufactures used "swb" as ab abbreviation they were referring to short wheel base
blue lives matter