Author Topic: getting cut on again  (Read 444 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
getting cut on again
« on: July 05, 2023, 10:03:05 PM »
my knee replacement i had 2 years ago never was right and apparently is loose . so hes going to rip it all out and start over. ive had so many surgeries i told my wife after the last NO MORE. but its got to the point i can barely walk. i think this is like number 24 since the accident in 77. then 3 more not related.
blue lives matter

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: getting cut on again
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 07:04:17 AM »
48 days post-surgery for total right knee replacement for me today. I'm living now what you are facing again. Therapy ended 2-weeks ago. Got a gym membership last week and have been there every morning this week...going slow. Swelling in the leg and it still hurts but total energy level is returning to a pre-surgery level finally.

Swift recovery lloyd.

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 07:51:33 AM »
    34 years ago this month I had my right hip replacement .  They were only supposed to last 20 years so I am on borrowed time . Once is enough for me , 24 is unimaginable.

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 08:08:23 AM »
Sorry to hear that.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 08:16:08 AM »
so far for me both hips right ankle and a second run at the right knee. third operation this year! been through so many that i dont even get nervous anymore. operations are a walk in the park. you go to sleep and wake up and its done its the recovery that sucks. just got done with the therapy on the hand that came right after the therapy for the latest back surgery now more to look forward to. id say getting old sucks but ive been doing this crap since i was 20
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 12:08:36 PM »
I'm still not fully recovered from carpal tunnel surgery now I guess 2-3 years ago.

I need full shoulder replacement on the left shoulder. I had it scheduled but then realized they were gonna do a reverse replacement. As nature made us the ball is on the arm and socket in the shoulder. They were gonna put the ball in shoulder and socket on the arm.

I hear it is the longest recovery and therapy of all the replacements. I have a neighbor who had it done and she was nearing the 18 month mark and still unable to do much of anything with hers.

So I decided against it. The shoulder hurts like the dickens all the time and I am very limited in what I can do with the left arm but I'm not having the surgery.

I have diabetes and cancer which I'm not gonna fight so I'll prolly be gone before the shoulder fully wears out anyway.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 12:23:08 PM »
Sounds like too much anesthesia could become your next issue. Certainly hope they’re aware. Hope things work out better for this time.

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 12:38:44 PM »
so far for me both hips right ankle and a second run at the right knee. third operation this year! been through so many that i dont even get nervous anymore. operations are a walk in the park. you go to sleep and wake up and its done its the recovery that sucks. just got done with the therapy on the hand that came right after the therapy for the latest back surgery now more to look forward to. id say getting old sucks but ive been doing this crap since i was 20
  I didnt know they could replace a ankle , but I dont keep up with  the latest Medical advancements  either . 

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 01:11:07 PM »
I'm still not fully recovered from carpal tunnel surgery now I guess 2-3 years ago.

I need full shoulder replacement on the left shoulder. I had it scheduled but then realized they were gonna do a reverse replacement. As nature made us the ball is on the arm and socket in the shoulder. They were gonna put the ball in shoulder and socket on the arm.

I hear it is the longest recovery and therapy of all the replacements. I have a neighbor who had it done and she was nearing the 18 month mark and still unable to do much of anything with hers.

So I decided against it. The shoulder hurts like the dickens all the time and I am very limited in what I can do with the left arm but I'm not having the surgery.

I have diabetes and cancer which I'm not gonna fight so I'll prolly be gone before the shoulder fully wears out anyway.

I need rotater cuff repair on both shoulders, total knee replacements on both knees to, and the bicep is tore on both arms and are almost in the bend (elbow) of both arms.
I haven't considered fixing any of it at 73 years old, as I'm still walking, and for the most part I can do what I want.

If I have cancer I don't know about it, but I've seen folks fight it and sometimes I guess they won, but the fight sure looked rough. I've always contemplated just letting nature take its course.

Good luck with that Bill.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 04:37:57 PM »
Sorry to hear of that

Hopefully, everything will work out
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 05:32:41 PM »
I had the rotator cuff surgery on right shoulder several years ago and recovered fairly quickly. I doubt at your or my age I'd do it again.

My cancer is leukemia, CLL specifically. Until I was diagnosed with it I didn't realize there are several types of leukemia. Doctors, yeah multiple doctors, told me that life span after the diagnosis I got is on average 5-8 years. Before I was told I have cancer I only figured about 10 years at best anyway.

Treatment is generally same as for other cancer meaning radiation and chemo. I've watched folks go thru that and it is nasty so I'm gonna pass on that.

I have recently become aware of a pill just approved in January for CLL. I will discuss it with my doctor next visit. But reading the side effects makes me think I won't want to go there either.

At this point in my life I'm not going thru another surgery.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 05:52:17 PM »
Kinda the way I see it. I've had a good life, and I'll continue to enjoy what I've been blessed with for as long as God allows me to.

What you said about cancer is kinda the way I see it. Folks got all caught up in hope after hope, with disappointment after disappointment, and really sick from the poison they call treatment.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 10:32:47 PM »
It's about Quality of Life.  If you can regain that and live pain free (or with markedly less), then surgery/chemo/intervention is warranted.

I did the math, 3,650-days is ten years.  My thinking said 50+days of post-surgery pain and therapy (total right knee replacement) and another 50+/-days of exercise is acceptable for 3,550+/-days of full use and no/reduced pain. 

I am waiting for the "I should have done it sooner" time to start.  So far, pain, swelling, therapy, and ice are the Orders of the Day at 49+days post-surgery.

I cannot fathom traumatic major surgeries over and over and hope your recovery(ies) is (/are) swift.  I do understand depression from relentless pain.  That is not Quality of Life...

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2023, 12:18:34 AM »
yup its a total relacement and was done 8 years ag. it was that or having it fused

I didnt know they could replace a ankle , but I dont keep up with  the latest Medical advancements  either .
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2023, 12:28:13 AM »
dont know what id do if i had cancer. one of buddys was diagnosed with stomach cancer. doc told him hed make a year without treatment or 5 with chemo and radiation. he told me if there was a chance for a cure he might try but just prolonging it wasnt worth the stress on his family or all the doc bills and four years of being sick. he ended up with one decent year and three months of pretty much suffering. i thought he was a very brave man to go out with his dignity. dont know how i would have delt with it.
blue lives matter

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2023, 02:45:44 AM »
Lioyd
 I wish you the best and pray it’s the final surgery and a speedy recovery

Offline M134 Troll

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2023, 04:32:42 PM »
Good luck and a speedy recovery Lloyd!