Author Topic: Six injured in this year's "running of the bulls"...  (Read 440 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Six injured in this year's "running of the bulls"...
« on: July 07, 2023, 01:23:59 AM »
  No was gored though, since it looks like they got hurt just getting out of the way...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/six-injured-as-controversial-bull-run-returns-to-spains-pamplona/index.html#:~:text=None%20of%20the%20six%20was,injuries%2C%20the%

If they would care to participate.. I am trying to arrange an "outrun the locomotive' event on a nearby , railroad trestle...

Of course, they will have to sign wavers, just as those folks did, who went down to see that Titanic, from that "Tinker Toy" sub..

Oops! does anybody remember Tinker Toys anymore?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Six injured in this year's "running of the bulls"...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 01:30:36 AM »
Somethin wrong with those people.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline GTS225

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 03:45:28 AM »
TSK!  TSK!.....Adrenaline junkies.   :o  ::) (and no shaking head or facepalm emojis)

Roger

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 07:46:41 AM »
I've got new bull that would enjoy chasin'em. I don't get out of the truck around him unless I've got fresh batteries in my hotshot. He knows what a hotshot is.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 04:16:05 PM »
  They do learn quickly, what a hotshot is..

..An old but true saying..."It's almost always the "tame" bull that gets you!"
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dee

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 04:23:28 PM »
He ain't tame. He's ornery as hell.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 01:20:19 AM »
He ain't tame. He's ornery as hell.

I don't doubt what you said for one moment.  However, that old saying comes from the numerous times in the past, when some farmer has a bull
  he may have raised from a calf, and was a "regular pet"...

He always trusted that bull...until one day ..the bull realized he was bigger and stronger than the farmer....

I knew a farmer named Norm, who trusted his bull, until one day...he ended up a parapalegic for the rest of his life..

As a child, my wife lived nearby a farm, where their farmer kept a bull in the pasture.  One summer day, the farmer made his way back to his
  home, but left his intestines hanging on a barb wire fence.  He trusted hjs "tame' bull..

I have personally seen a number of "close calls" with bulls, and must admit that in my younger..and foolish years, have tempted bulls, by imitating
    their pawing front feet, and relying up on my own feet to escape to nearby cover..

I say foolishly, because it may have worked toward making a mean bull....and I never was any kind of a track star..  ;)  ;D

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 02:08:33 PM »
A momma cow with a new calf
can morph into a grizzly bear
in a couple of seconds
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 04:29:45 PM »
A momma cow with a new calf
can morph into a grizzly bear
in a couple of seconds

Yep!  Our farm was a dairy farm, but when one of those dairy cows calves out in the pasture, it was my task to go bring them both in to the barn.

In that situation, old ma cow can be nasty.

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 03:30:45 AM »
Had a friend back in the 70's who raised a pet Holstein bull. We all tried to get Bob to cut the bull, but he didn't think it was necessary.The pet became a raging terror one day, that left Bob nearly dead. He recovered, but not fully. The bull became hamburger, and hopefully Bob, a little wiser.

Oh yea! The running of the Bulls and Fools........It's hard to have any sympathy for anyone stupid enough to do such a thing.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 02:24:13 PM »
Had a friend back in the 70's who raised a pet Holstein bull. We all tried to get Bob to cut the bull, but he didn't think it was necessary.The pet became a raging terror one day, that left Bob nearly dead. He recovered, but not fully. The bull became hamburger, and hopefully Bob, a little wiser.

Oh yea! The running of the Bulls and Fools........It's hard to have any sympathy for anyone stupid enough to do such a thing.

I was raised near my Uncle's dairy farms that had holsteins.  The heifers were generally docile, but the bulls were mostly mean and you didn't dare get near them.  All of them had to have their noses ringed, and some had to have a chain hung on them.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2023, 04:37:38 AM »
  We had holsteins on our family farm, which are about 95% of what the dairies around here have.  I have heard some farmers who are experienced
  with various breeds claim that Jerseys are particularly mean..  Can't comment myself..

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2023, 07:36:56 AM »
Branded cattle last Saturday. New bull lived up to his reputation. Hates horses and will go out of his way for a fight.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 08:53:08 AM »
Branded cattle last Saturday. New bull lived up to his reputation. Hates horses and will go out of his way for a fight.

Did he try to pick a scrap with the horses?

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 08:58:37 AM »
He didn't just try. He got after a couple of horses, and almost wrecked the horses and riders, then got after a horse tied to the fence. He got his ass branded anyway, and turned back out to the pasture while we worked the rest of the cattle.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2023, 09:14:53 AM »
He didn't just try. He got after a couple of horses, and almost wrecked the horses and riders, then got after a horse tied to the fence. He got his ass branded anyway, and turned back out to the pasture while we worked the rest of the cattle.

That must have been an exciting, and entertaining interlude...

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2023, 09:33:54 AM »
There wasn't much entertainment involved he was trying to kill the horses and cowboys. Its just part of it. You don't want a good horse hurt or crippled, or a good hand.

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2023, 10:53:36 AM »
All this Bull talk reminds me of a joke......A young Bull and an old Bull from the adjacent property were having a conversation across the fence. The old Bull say's.....How's things over there? Couldn't be better said the young one. I have 20 young heifers to keep me company, and the grass is belly deep. How's things with you?
Take a look said the old Bull. Just a few sprigs of grass and a lot of weeds. The only thing I have for company is one old steer, and all he wants to talk about is his operation. Sounds like you have a mean, but happy Bull! Dee :)
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Dee

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2023, 10:59:40 AM »
Oh he's dedicated to his cows, but he is fixing to go to the bull pasture for 9 months.