Author Topic: Dropped My Notebook  (Read 526 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Dropped My Notebook
« on: July 18, 2023, 02:07:31 AM »
Reached over from my recliner to get it off my end table to get it. You couldn't have dropped it on purpose to make it hit the hardwood floor any more flush face down. The whole screen spiderwebbed, and I guess it's done for.
You can push the power button and it'll come on, but thats it.

Lucky for you guys I've still got my phone.  ;D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
Re: Dropped My Notebook
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 02:16:17 AM »
If’s it’s an iPad re-Glass

Offline Dee

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 02:22:57 AM »
You can do that? Where I wonder?

Offline moamonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 04:39:13 AM »
We have a place nearby that will replace screens and batteries in a cell phone. It’s called CPR (cell phone repair). They might do pads as well…I think they’re national.

Offline Dee

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 06:40:07 AM »
I've called several repair shops in Amarillo. The notepad is a Walmart purchase and it will be cheaper to buy a new one.
Thanks anyway guys,

Offline Tommyt

• Trade Count: (51)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 07:53:25 AM »
 Best Buy has a repair shop inside
Usually the repair is about 120 to 199
Don’t ask how I know

Offline Dee

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 09:34:18 AM »
Best Buy has a repair shop inside
Usually the repair is about 120 to 199
Don’t ask how I know

Caught a samsung notebook on sale at Best Buy in Amarillo while picking up another firestick for my TV in the bedroom. No more Walmart notebooks.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 02:52:21 PM »
Finally got this new Samsung notebook setup.

Offline moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 04:02:31 PM »
I’d be curious to know how you like the Samsung. I’ve got an old Kindle Fire my wife gave me years back. It’s starting to crap out and I’m going to need another tablet. Never anything from Amazon again. A tablet or a small laptop.

Offline Dee

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 04:25:31 PM »
I like it because it basically operates like my Samsung phone.  I bought the 9" because it was under $150.00 but I only use it for entertainment.

Offline moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2023, 05:12:00 PM »
Something like that'd fit my needs. Good size and good price. All I do is surf the net on it. Would like email and print function. As long as it's fast and responsive, I hate a slow machine. I'm getting crotchety.

Offline Dee

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2023, 05:30:02 PM »
This one pairs easily, so it would likely suit you.

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 06:39:08 AM »
I started using Chromebooks a year or so ago. They are cheaper, and mine is touch screen and just like a small laptop.11 inch screen. I also have one now that is programed with linux. I'm a Linux user mostly, and it fits my needs better.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 07:03:13 AM »
Would I be right in guessing Chromebook to be a Google product? I haven’t had to shop for tech products in a while, I’m sure there’s a lot out there I’ve not heard about. An 11” laptop could be handy.

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 01:28:00 PM »
I still have my larger laptop, for movies and such, but like my 11 inch Chromebook. Google chrome is a google inc. company. The Chromebook are in most schools across America. I buy the like new ones coming from schools. I liked them so much, I bought 5.  I kept two and gave the rest to my G Grand kiddies.  The ones I bought have a battery life of about 6 to 8 hrs, and they are fast.

If you like to save a lot of data though, you just use a flash drive to save it on. The kids like the ones with touch screen and fold flat. Mine have that ability, but I'm an old mouse user, and only work from a desk. The five I bought ranged in the price of between 45 and 75.00. I buy from a Ebay seller that sells ones in good condition, and has free shipping and great reviews. I had him switch from Google Chrome  operating system to Linux Mint for the one I use most. The units are made by most major computer manufactures. Dell, Acer, and others, and Google Chrome puts the operating system on them. BTW, If your a Linux guy, he will install just about any Linux operating system you want at no additional cost.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2023, 02:52:35 PM »
Double edged sword
It's good that things like computers and
such are so easily and inexpensively
replaced
But I still remember when things were
fairly easy to repair and were basically
a lifetime purchase
I've always thought that the early days of
the 600-700 dollar betamax VCR's is what
led us down this rocky road

( I can also remember when there were
like 4 thriving television repair shops
within a couple of miles from here,
and they didn't lack for business)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2023, 03:38:56 PM »
Boy, those days are behind us like 1975 Pickups with standard ignitions and wing windows. I dream about my last one. 1975 short bed Chev. We did have Tablets and Note Books back then though ;D

Offline Dee

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2023, 04:23:02 PM »
I actually liked the old points, condenser, distributer, carburetor days. I understood those. If my truck breaks now, it's a shop bill.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Casull

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2023, 05:34:54 PM »
I actually liked the old points, condenser, distributer, carburetor days. I understood those. If my truck breaks now, it's a shop bill.

Yep, but I don't miss 200 hp V8's, rusted out quarter panels in 3 years, drum brakes, maybe, maybe 100,000 mile lifespan, etc.
Aim small, miss small!!!
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Dee

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2023, 01:33:04 AM »

Yep, but I don't miss 200 hp V8's, rusted out quarter panels in 3 years, drum brakes, maybe, maybe 100,000 mile lifespan, etc.

Rusted out quarter panels usually meant a car from up north where they salted the roads. Disk brakes are better, most people don't keep a car long enough to put 100,000 miles on a car, and I don't recognize much under the hood.
I do admit to liking my 400 hp pickup though.  ;D

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2023, 06:30:54 AM »
[quote author=Casull link=topic=304882.msg1099833423#msg1099833423 date=1689910494
[/quote] Drum brakes if kept adjust, use good quality shoes and do not run till the shoes are almost gone are in 98.6 percent of situations just fine.
When I landscaped I drove bosses old trucks with drum brakes.

New vehicles with urethane paint rust out quicker than the old ones with laquer.
I know this from gents whom I see regularily, who have boughten pickups and utes that are three to four years old and I do not mean surface rust., wh

Offline Casull

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2023, 08:06:12 AM »
[quote author=Casull link=topic=304882.msg1099833423#msg1099833423 date=1689910494
Drum brakes if kept adjust, use good quality shoes and do not run till the shoes are almost gone are in 98.6 percent of situations just fine.
When I landscaped I drove bosses old trucks with drum brakes.

New vehicles with urethane paint rust out quicker than the old ones with laquer.
I know this from gents whom I see regularily, who have boughten pickups and utes that are three to four years old and I do not mean surface rust., wh
[/quote]

Now that is funny.  I clearly remember cars from the 70's that had rust holes (holes, not surface) that were 3 years old.  That was not a rarity.  Nowadays, you don't see rust holes on anything less than 8 or 9 years old, and many well beyond that.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Casull

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2023, 08:06:52 AM »

Rusted out quarter panels usually meant a car from up north where they salted the roads. Disk brakes are better, most people don't keep a car long enough to put 100,000 miles on a car, and I don't recognize much under the hood.

My last two cars had 250,000 miles on them.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Dee

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2023, 12:08:46 PM »

My last two cars had 250,000 miles on them.

Ok,you win. Calf rope.

Offline Casull

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2023, 12:21:27 PM »
No winner.  I just see a ton of vehicles with well over 100,000 miles on them when looking at current ads.  Seems like most of them actually.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2023, 12:26:26 PM »
Since we're not talking vehicles rather than notebooks, my 2017 Toyota Tundra has a wee bit less than 17,000 miles on it. I drive around 2500 per year. With my health issues I'll prolly last no more than another 5-8 years maximum. I don't think I'll wear it out.

When I die the boys will sell the Tundra, my tractor and my John Deere Gator for Faye to use to live on and pay bills with.

I don't expect to ever buy another vehicle and perhaps not another computer either.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming: Tablets are too dang small for me to see. My computer screen is I think a 45" TV monitor. Yup I can see to read that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2023, 12:41:15 PM »
Linda is driving a 10 year old Honda Pilot LX I bought her new. It has 82,000 miles on it. Not buying another one. I'm driving a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 with 72,000 on it. Just put a new Topper on it. Its my last vehicle also.