Author Topic: The educational system is a racket !  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: The educational system is a racket !
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2023, 04:36:43 AM »
A few years back the high school I
graduated from, and the next closest
were almost closed and padlocked
because the student body was not
of high school level intelligence.
I forgot what the graduation rate was,
but it was very low, many not even
able to do jr high level school work.

The schools are still the same buildings,
just students of low intelligence
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2023, 07:06:39 AM »
Here's a picture of Marlin High School football stadium. Pretty nice.

https://texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=109
Do they expect all the students to go into professional football?? Looks nice, but I think they got their priorities mixed up.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2023, 07:42:40 AM »
Here's a picture of Marlin High School football stadium. Pretty nice.

https://texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=109

..And with 90%of the students failing finals....^^that's^^ a shame..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2023, 08:32:36 AM »
So, why do I consider grammar school to be better served with the old single room school?  Let me try to explain.

While the school I attended has been demolished long ago, I found photos on the web that nbearly approximate it.  The white school house shown, is much like the one I attended, except there was a shelter on this end for the teacher to park her car under ..and the same roof provided cover for the toilets..a "one-holer" for the girls and another one-holer for the boys.  I see the one holer for the school pictured was far separatednfrom the building.

The class room scene is much the same, except we had 6 rows of desks..for 6 grades.  Not shown, would be the big crockery "keg" that held our drinking water, and the individual student's cups, kept in a grid of small boxes..like a post office box display.  Also not shown..our teacher's desk.

I attended  a different, 2 room school for 1st grade, but our house burned and we moved to another district.  I attended the white, single room
    school in 2nd grade.  The teacher started teaching with 1st grade.  She would teach the basics, then leave the first grade (first row) to complete
   their work book assignment.   

Next; start with the second grade, teach basics. then leave them to study..and so forth, on up through 6th grade.

As soon as she taught second grade and left us with workbooks, I would finish my work quickly..then sit quietly, while I observed grades 3 through
   6  being taught.

That way,  I had the other grades already quite well learned, time I was ready to move up..  Can't beat that for a learning process.  That way I
   had much of 6th grade put away, well before I got there.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline darkgael

• The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2023, 02:01:36 AM »
Wrong on many different levels. K-12 you've got teachers that don't care, and parents either. One has to work with the other, or just a waste of time and money. I believe this spring, a high school in Texas cancelled the graduation ceremony, less than 10 students could pass the final exam out of 90 or so. Jimmy Carter started the DOE, one of the biggest waste of federal tax dollar there is. 1958 federal govt. started college loans for students. Since then, all down hill. Nothing but a money pit, and now we have over 43 million people owing student loans, over 1.3 trillion. Yep, quite a racket, but I'm afraid, it'll bite us in the backside eventually!!

Wrong, it was 5, out of 33.
Thanks for including the link. The info in there clarifies the situation……still educationally dire regardless.
What caught my attention was the comment that “less than 10 students could pass the final exam” (properly it was 5 out of 33).
That is not what happened. There was no “final exam”.  There was a failure to meet requirements for graduation……very different, though the end result was the same. I do not know what the requirements for graduation are in Texas. I am fairly sure that it does not hinge on passing a “final exam”.Had to be More involved than that.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2023, 02:21:29 AM »
While it is unfortunate, when this news came out I posted all the data. It is a very poor school district, single parent homes are are better than 65%, and the community I believe is predominantly black/Hispanic and other.

I've found in my 70+ years that teachers are much like preachers. When God has called them to another church, it usually involves a pay raise.

As in terms of "school security" look to the school board. In cases of inadequate school boards, look to the parents.

https://uspopulation.org/texas/falls-county/marlin/
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2023, 03:31:02 AM »
   In NY, the urban schools are suffering, some claim for financial reasons.. However, I think the level of teachers they employ, hurts the students greatly.
   Financial reasons?  With the country school, where the teacher taught 6 grades, all couild spell quite well before they moved on. *

Most of us were reasonably poor, but we didn't get free meals, and brought our own pencils, paper etc.  Most parents then, would not have accepted "charity" meals and personal gear anyway.

Our school district itself was not wealthy.. We din't have a playground with full equipment, except for one home made swing some parent built.
   We just played on the back lawn, or in an old, near abandoned cemetery, back near the woods.

Still; if I were king, all kids would have the benefit of that early education experience !

Unfortunately..and here is a tip of the hat to teachers; not all today's students are as responsive to teacher's authority as we farm kids were.

Teacher tips off parents, and the student is in for "a discussion in the woodshed, with the board (switch) of education".  Many teachers likely long
      for this kind of parent/teacher coopperation.

When it comes to such a reminder and likely cheat, note sent home for 6th graders, we know we have a problem.

Note the spelling of 'sincerely', in the lower right corner..  Problem detected !