Author Topic: Bald eagles..  (Read 862 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Bald eagles..
« on: August 11, 2023, 05:32:15 AM »
  Bald eagles are getting to be more  comon these days, and the sight of one is enjoyable, fun to observe.

However there is a couole less common birds to see, and I enjoy catching sight of them even more than the Bald eagle..

I speak here of the impressive, great horned owl.  Even moreso the snowy owl.

When I catch sight of the big,beautiful, snowy owl..it is usually perched upon a fnce post, scanning the snow covered firlds for mice and other small game.
   I love to watch them...sit there so stoically and seemingly, unblinking..surveying their hunting domain...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bald eagles..
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 01:08:23 PM »
  I see both of those here where I live.

The natives in Alaska shoot those snow owls and eat them. One time some friends of mine shot one and cooked it.  They said it didn't taste good and even though the boiled it a long time, it never got tender.  lol

DM

Online Mule 11

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 01:23:22 PM »
Some guys I knew cooked a squirrel in a toaster oven and got the same results. I’ve eaten a lot of squirrel that was very good. I passed on the toaster squirrel fare.

Offline Casull

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 03:17:28 PM »
  I see both of those here where I live.

The natives in Alaska shoot those snow owls and eat them. One time some friends of mine shot one and cooked it.  They said it didn't taste good and even though the boiled it a long time, it never got tender.  lol

DM

I saw a picture of an owl without its feathers.  Pretty much skin and bones.  Don't know why anyone would bother shooting and eating one.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 03:29:54 PM »
Usually carnivores aren't all that tasty I'm told.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 09:16:37 PM »
lots of eagles around here. we see them near daily flying over the house. theres an island about a mile off shore that is a big nesting site for them
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 01:52:30 AM »
lots of eagles around here. we see them near daily flying over the house. theres an island about a mile off shore that is a big nesting site for them
  I suspect they use the water barrier to maintain their privacy.

I expect an island would be a choice site for an eagle to nest. there is a decent representation of them around here, and although they can be found nesting almost any place that is fairly remote, one place they seem to favor around here, is a large swamp and swampy area..maybe 300 acres, that has trees growing on tiny islands out in the water areas.
  ..  I suspect they use the water barrier to maintain their privacy.

One note of caution for today.. Perhaps natives can get away with killing and cooking owls but for the rest of us, there are very strict laws regarding
  killing or keeping birds of prey...includes turkey buzzards.

https://sciencetrek.org/sciencetrek/topics/birds_of_prey/facts5.cfm#:~:text=All%20raptors%20are%20protected%20by,U.%20S.%20Fish%20and%20Wildlife%20Service.

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 02:09:20 AM »
ya that turkey buzzard thing makes me scratch my head. buddy shot one of those ugly nasty things at the range we used at the time. we were at coffee a couple weeks later and he brought it up and one of the guys told him he might want to keep his mouth shut because there protected. supposedly because of an OLD law that was inacted because the cleaned up carrion and they figured somehow that would decrease diseases. something that was suspect back then and certainly suspect today.
  I suspect they use the water barrier to maintain their privacy.

I expect an island would be a choice site for an eagle to nest. ythere is a decent representation of them around here, and although they can be found nesting almost any place that is fairly remote, one place they seem to favor is a large swamp and swampy arera..maybe 300 acres, that has trees growing on tiny islands out in the water areas.
  ..  I suspect they use the water barrier to maintain their privacy.

One note of caution for today.. Perhaps natives can get away with killing and cooking owls but for the rest of us, there are very strict laws regarding
  killing or keeping birds of prey...includes turkey buzzards.

https://sciencetrek.org/sciencetrek/topics/birds_of_prey/facts5.cfm#:~:text=All%20raptors%20are%20protected%20by,U.%20S.%20Fish%20and%20Wildlife%20Service.

blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 03:10:11 AM »
Only on GBO can we have a thread about a bald eagle and have no photos of one and past the OP no discussion of them. Yup this one fits rat in here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 03:29:19 AM »
heck bill if everyone stayed on topic in every post there probably wouldnt be 10 posts a week here. keeping it alive because i for one dont want it to go away
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2023, 11:25:02 AM »
  ACtually, I meant the thread to be about the snowy owl.   But yes, you are correct, in that I did also mention the Bald eagle as well as the great
   horned owl, but I guess the guys figured we have talked enough about old baldy!  ;) ;D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2023, 12:21:27 PM »

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2023, 12:37:21 PM »

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 05:05:25 AM »
Only on GBO can we have a thread about a bald eagle and have no photos of one and past the OP no discussion of them. Yup this one fits rat in here.
  Let me help you out with a few picts I've taken,

DM

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2023, 01:59:30 AM »
  Let me help you out with a few picts I've taken,

DM

Always majestic !  ...And yes Bill, I did entitle the OP "Bald eagles..", but then I wandered of base a bit ! ;D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2023, 12:36:12 PM »
Say it ain't so, wondering off base at GBO? That can't happen, can it?  8)

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2023, 01:36:35 PM »
I don't really give a "hoot". 8)