Author Topic: Need help with new gun  (Read 579 times)

Offline mehunter1

• Trade Count: (0)
Need help with new gun
« on: March 24, 2004, 09:44:29 AM »
I was given a gun by my grandfather the other day, but can not find out exactly what it is.  All I know is this, Bolt action, has the numbers
303" 2-22"
Also has a crown with BRI under it and crossed flags under that.  Any help identifying what it is would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
Re: Need help with new gun
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 11:43:59 AM »
Quote from: mehunter1
I was given a gun by my grandfather the other day, but can not find out exactly what it is.  All I know is this, Bolt action, has the numbers
303" 2-22"
Also has a crown with BRI under it and crossed flags under that.  Any help identifying what it is would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

It would be my guess that you have a British .303 Lee-Enfield.   Some one will correct me if I am wrong.  

The British .303 used a very corrosive primer and as such most .303’s are not safe to shoot today… at least not without having a gunsmith going over it very carefully.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline jh45gun

Need help with new gun
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 03:07:21 PM »
Go to some of the Milsurp sites on the web that have Enfield boards and they can help you deciper your numbers if it is a Enfield which Major's guess is right it probably is. He is right have a qualifed gun smith check it over and give it a head space check before fireing. The 303 Enfield is a good gun though  can be sloppy compared to non military guns as they made them with lots of clearance to fire under the most dirty conditions. If your gun does not headspace look at the detachable front bolt and see what number it is I think they were numbered from 0 to 3 0 being the shortest and 3 the longest if it does not headspace you may only need to get a longer bolt head the next number or so up the scale. A good gunsmith will be able to tell you that if he has the head space guages. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline mehunter1

Need help with new gun
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 08:55:13 AM »
Thanks for the information, I will definitely have my gunsmith look it over.  I was thinking it was an enfield, but could not find a picture that matched it.  Thanks again

Offline U.K.Neil

Need help with new gun
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 11:46:46 AM »
Can you post or e-mail me a picture of your gun?  I have a Buddy who is a firearms dealer who specalises in the Lee Enfield # 3 and will identify it for you.
Keep Smiling.

Offline mehunter1

Need help with new gun
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 09:37:24 AM »
I sure will as soon as I get some developed I will scan one.  Thanks for the help.