Author Topic: Why the church is declining:  (Read 370 times)

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Why the church is declining:
« on: September 15, 2023, 06:47:41 PM »
Ran across this article about why church populations are declining. It provides an interesting perspective: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-great-dechurching-looks-at-why-people-are-leaving-churches/ar-AA1gL7lc

Seems like worth a look.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Why the church is declining:
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 11:25:44 PM »
i think some of it is people sick of the in fighting between different Chistian faiths. we seem at times to be more at war with each other then showing any respect. Today the atheists dont need to do a thing. just sit back and watch us fight and ask the young to watch. just a matter of time till most of us older Christians are dead and Christianity is dying a bit more at every funeral. the young in this country think about money and material things. Not God and its our generation that started this big decline.
blue lives matter

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 02:09:18 AM »
Looks like a rehashing of all the other reasons. My own experience is deacons have turned the running of most churches over to seminary trained preachers, and directors, who look at preaching as a career rather than a ministry.
Deacons accept this because they are lazy, and apathetic to what needs to be done, and can avoid any conflict among the congregation. It has become more of a church status position.

Preachers have started focusing on numbers and ways to attract these numbers,  while ignoring the Gospel Truth.

Modern Seminary trained preachers have been taught to avoid the offensive side of the Gospels, homosexuality, perversion, infidelity,  ect, and focus on LOVE.

In other words, ignore the perils of every day life, and the biblical teachings of how to avoid them.

Another imo, is seminary trained youth directors. Why do churches think that 22 or 23 year old kids can teach teenagers how to be good Christian men, and women, when they themselves are still kids.

CHURCH LEADERS SEEM TO THINK THAT YOU HAVE TO LOWER LEARNING EXPECTATIONS SO TEENAGERS CAN "COMPREHEND SCRIPTURAL TEACHING" WHILE GETTING THEIR 9 YEAR OLD TO FIX THEIR PHONE, OR THEIR 15 YEAR OLD TO STRAIGHTEN OUT THEIR COMPUTER.

People are looking for direction. Christianity is direction, the Gospel is offensive to the sinner, and convicting to the backslider. The Gospels point out your spiritual short-comings, backslidings, weaknesses, and point you in the directions you should be heading. BUT YOU HAVE TO HEAR THEM AND THAT IS WHERE THESE CHURCHES ARE FAILING.

I know it sounds like I'm against seminaries, but I'm not. I'm against abandoning scriptural teaching in the church, and scriptural DIRECTIVES of whose to teach it.

TODAYS CHURCHES IMO, HAVE COMPROMISED THE GOSPELS,  BRINGING IN APOSTASY,
AND APOSTATES, THINKING IT WILL MAKE CHURCH MORE INTERESTING, AND ATTRACTIVE TO BRING IN "THE NUMBERS".

SCRIPTURE SAYS: STRAIT IS THE GATE, AND NARROW IS THE WAY, WHICH LEADETH UNTO LIFE, AND FEW THERE BE THAT FIND IT!

Modern  churches have replaced the Gospels with programs, books, methods, man made ideology, and have brought apostasy from other sources, new age copyrighted Bible versions, and religions into the church, looking for something that is blatantly visible, and right under their noses.
MODERN CHURCHES ARE TRYING TO WIDEN THE GATE, AND REMOVE THE RESTRICTIONS, AND PEOPLE LOOKING FOR DIRECTION,  SENSE THE DECEPTION,  WHETHER THEY UNDERSTAND IT OR NOT, AND GET NOTHING BUT MORE MISDIRECTION. SO THEY LOOK ELSEWHERE. JMO
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 03:40:20 AM »
  Orlando may have been a poor choice as an example of numbers leaving, or not joining with a church in the first place.  If I am not mistaken, Disney is the largest employer in Orlando.
  We already know the thrust of Disney, and their chosen support for the LGBTQ community, so don't expect the LGBTQ crowd to support a real church that preaches honestly from scripture.

Dee made a good point, when he said:  "CHURCH LEADERS SEEM TO THINK THAT YOU HAVE TO LOWER LEARNING EXPECTATIONS SO TEENAGERS CAN "COMPREHEND SCRIPTURAL TEACHING" WHILE GETTING THEIR 9 YEAR OLD TO FIX THEIR PHONE, OR THEIR 15 YEAR OLD TO STRAIGHTEN OUT THEIR COMPUTER."

One would hope to think that most pastors & teachers would not believe they must 'talk down' to students...but I have seen such done.

Many churches, e.g. "progressive" groups, have watered down the word, so as not to 'offend" those with weak or sinful lifestyles.  Those who do
    attend, are just trying to get approval for their chosen sin..but they won't stay long..

Then too..there just may be a "winnowing" going on..we just don't know for sure. ..Biut we do know that "straight is the gate....".

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline locust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 03:57:50 PM »
the river drys up . you should know its was going to happen. not long from now religion will be gobbled up even by the governments you hold so dear. say it can't happen  LOL . it will

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 06:45:24 PM »
People feel the need to be entertained
every waking moment of their lives now.
Many "churches " are entertainment focused
now.

And they sure don't want to hear about the
possibility of spending an eternity in hell, so
many clergy steer around unpleasant subjects
like going to hell for their sins and unrepentant
lifestyle

Many even feel that there are different "grades "
of heaven and hell, and believe in reincarnation
if you failed the test the first go round so you can
do the right thing and repent and accept Christ
like you were supposed to in your first life

All the shyster preachers selling religious gadgets
and secret Bible de-coding books and salvation
kits and such nonsense don't help anything.
The "God wants you to be wealthy here on earth"
preachers have a large audience too
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 02:54:17 AM »
  My new signature line...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 02:23:29 AM »
the river drys up . you should know its was going to happen. not long from now religion will be gobbled up even by the governments you hold so dear. say it can't happen  LOL . it will

Governments have been trying to do that for thousands of years....and they haven't succeeded yet. The totality of scripture has witnessed the rise
   and/or fall of the Babylonian, Assyrian, and Roman empire..among others.

Then Bible has witnessed the establishment and destruction of nearly all the "royal" houses of Europe, and rest assured, it will be there while governments and empires rise and fall all over the world.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever.”  (Isaiah 40:8)

Also, sometimes cults arise that seem to think they have all the answers, and gain traction among the gullible, by claiming their superiority over   
    all governments and all other faiths.....

...But those who are truly well grounded Biblically, don't fall for them.