Author Topic: India crush Sri Lanka by 10 wickets to win eighth Asia Cup cricket crown  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)

17 Sep 2023

India have lifted the Asia Cup for a record-extending eighth time after routing defending champions Sri Lanka by 10 wickets with Mohammed Siraj claiming a career-best 6-21, including four wickets in one over, at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Electing to bat on Sunday in front of a full house of 35,000 fans, Sri Lanka were bundled out for a paltry 50 in 15.2 overs with five batters getting ducks in their sorry-looking scorecard with Siraj the wrecker-in-chief.
Siraj’s fiery display of pace bowling was best illustrated in his second over when the right-armed bowler quickly dismissed Pathum Nissanka, Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka and Dhananjaya de Silva.

Hardik Pandya also bagged three wickets while Jasprit Bumrah claimed one as Sri Lanka registered their second-lowest total in one-day internationals (ODIs), lasting only 92 balls.
India needed 6.1 overs to achieve the target for a timely boost before their home World Cup beginning next month.
Bumrah removed Kusal Perera in the first over to trigger a collapse and the Sri Lanka batters looked helpless as Siraj breathed fire with the new ball.

Only Kusal Mendis (17) and Dushan Hemantha, who made 13 not out, managed double digits for the home side.
India skipper Rohit Sharma held himself back and sent out Ishan Kishan to open the innings with Shubman Gill, opting for a left-right opening stand.
The openers scored freely to ensure there was no drama and Kishan, who made 23 not out, scored the winning run of the summit clash, which lasted only 21.3 overs.
Gill remained unbeaten on 27.

Sri Lanka and India had progressed to the Asia Cup finals while Pakistan and Bangladesh were knocked out in the Super Four stage. Afghanistan and Nepal failed to get beyond the first round.

India host Australia in a three-match ODI series later this match and the teams will clash again on October 8 in their World Cup opener in Chennai.
A dejected Chris Silverwood, the Sri Lankan coach, said his side came up against a high-class bowling attack but should have done better.
“It has been a below par performance. To get bowled out the way we did was very disappointing,” he said. “There is a lot of reflection to be done.”

Source: Al Jazeera and news agencies
[/i]

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
Re: India crush Sri Lanka by 10 wickets to win eighth Asia Cup cricket crown
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 01:51:39 AM »
Bob: Thanks for the article. I have, for years, wanted to learn more about Cricket. I have yet to pick up a book and read.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 02:18:01 AM »
2 years ago we had a cricket infestation here in this area of West Texas. The nasty little critters were everywhere. The entryway of the bank had to be swept out every morning.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 07:26:27 AM »
I haven't lately, but some years back I used a
good many for bream fishing with great success.
Used to have a little wire mesh cage doodad
just to hold a supply
I have some rubber ones in the package that
I've yet to try
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 02:42:59 AM »
  Bob;
  I am surprised that you got ANY replies...  I never expected that something so esoteric as cricket, would gather any interest, even wise cracks.

Recently I posted a shport clip of my great grandson, pinning his opponent in wrestling.  I hoped it may elicit some response from other proud
    grandpas !

However, all I received in reply from our "proud" grandpas was, you guessed it.....CRICKETS !

So rather than bore others, I removed the post..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 04:55:45 AM »
  Bob;
  I am surprised that you got ANY replies...  I never expected that something so esoteric as cricket, would gather any interest, even wise cracks.

Recently I posted a shport clip of my great grandson, pinning his opponent in wrestling.  I hoped it may elicit some response from other proud
    grandpas !

However, all I received in reply from our "proud" grandpas was, you guessed it.....CRICKETS !

Problem being you posted it to facebook. I don’t and won’t have an account like many here... Have to sign in to see it which is tough without an account.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 06:06:03 AM »
  Bob;

grandpas !

Problem being you posted it to facebook. I don’t and won’t have an account like many here... Have to sign in to see it which is tough without an account.

OK..thanks, Mule..sorry..i forgot some folks are reticent ti engage FB.. may i ask why?  I haven't noticed any adverse effects from FB.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 10:44:42 AM »
I'll answer that.

Cuz it has to be the dumbest platform on earth. Looking at my wife's screen when she's on there is one third of the screen in the middle vertically you have all the stuff you want to see on and the other two thirds outside of that is junk.

There is NOTHING of interest to me there. If facebook were the only thing on the internet I'd not own a computer.

They track you and put so many tracking cookies on your computer you will never get them all off.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 04:29:03 PM »
I'll answer that.

Cuz it has to be the dumbest platform on earth. Looking at my wife's screen when she's on there is one third of the screen in the middle vertically you have all the stuff you want to see on and the other two thirds outside of that is junk.

There is NOTHING of interest to me there. If facebook were the only thing on the internet I'd not own a computer.

They track you and put so many tracking cookies on your computer you will never get them all off.

Yes Bill..I have to agree there is a fair helping of garbage on the FB line, but I don't participate in that stuff or even bother with it.

However, it is one way to keep contact with friends and family, especially when they are distant, or at events I am unable to attend.

For instance, the video I tried to post, showed my great grandson, pinning anothwer opponent..something I missed, because I was busy elsewhere.

..Wish I knew how to lift those videos and pass them on, without them leading back to FB..

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 02:12:10 AM »
Wrestling, it’s what men do when boys are playing basketball...