Author Topic: H&K sights  (Read 455 times)

Offline jjmcnace

• Trade Count: (0)
H&K sights
« on: March 24, 2004, 11:55:15 AM »
I have an H&K USP .45 fullsize.  With the stock sights I have a problem shooting very low.  Can I get a shorter front sight blade?  Has anyone else has this problem with their USP .45?

thanks

Offline VSSF

• Avid Poster
HK sights.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 12:50:49 PM »
I've got a S/S Compact .40 S&W.I put meprolight nitesites on it,but never had a point of impact problem before or after.Try some lighter faster loads.Or call HK I'm sure they will help you out or a smith could grind yours down.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
H&K sights
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 01:52:00 PM »
Fixed HK sights were designed with the european 'cover the target with the dot' idea. That's why they shoot low for normal (Americans) people. HK does have higher rear sights available. Some dealers that may have them:
http://www.hkpartsonline.com/
http://www.calssportingarmory.com
 You'll have to call them to find the part.
Like the previous poster said american aftermarket sights will shoot to a  six o'clock sight picture.

Offline Tc300mag1

• Avid Poster
H&K sights
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 01:54:20 PM »
what load are you shooting i notice with 230 there low when shooting straigh on the bullseye with 185 hot loads not quite +P its dead on

Offline jjmcnace

H&K sights
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 02:07:56 PM »
I am covering the bull with the three dots.  I have used just standard 230 gr UMC of CCI Blazer ammo, also wolf ammo.  I have put around 800 rounds through it, I am a begginer, but after 800 rounds it is still shooting quite low.  I have wondered about using lighter loads and also +p, wasn't this gun set up primarily to shoot +p.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
H&K sights
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 08:29:05 PM »
With .45acp, generaly the heavier and slower the load, the higher it will shoot at short range-25-50 yards.
 Since you are new, I have to ask the obligatory question. Is it possible you are anticipating the shot? Most new shooters will push the pistol down in anticipation of the shot. If you are covering the bull with the three dots and shooting heavy slow ammo (Blazer 230), the last thing your shots should be is low. Lighter, faster loads will only shoot lower.
What kind of groups are you getting?
The HK will handle any load, exept bare lead, you want to put down the pipe.
One way to tell if you are anticipating the shot is to have a freind mix in some snap caps in your mags, and when it goes click instead of bang, you'll know.
The USP .45 is one of the finest .45's out there. More practice, more experience, better groups.

Offline jjmcnace

H&K sights
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 02:42:40 AM »
I am aware of shot anticipation, and I know that form time to time I do turn the gun to the left as is squeeze the trigger, I 'm right handed.  I have tried firing the gun with a light grip to see if I am anticipating the shot, gun almost jumps out of my hand.  Still low.  Currently I am able to get 2-3" three shot groups at 25 yds.  Why would a heavier bullet shoot higher?

Also I did hand load 50 rnds 230 gr round nose speer, 6.0 grns of unique, this was an almost instant help with raising the point of impact of my groups.  With my first handload I have raised the point of impact from almost 2' low, to less than 1' off the bottom of the target.

Offline Tc300mag1

• Avid Poster
H&K sights
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 02:59:56 AM »
If you have big hands like i do try a hogue handall like i did and it helped

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
H&K sights
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 05:02:50 PM »
Heavier, slower bullets generally shoot higher at short range because they spend more time in the bore with the extra weight. Handguns actually start to elevate (muzzle rise) while the bullet is in the bore.
With smaller faster calibers calibers (9mm etc) it is less noticable
It's most pronounced with heavy calibers in handguns with high bore axis'.
 Also the firmer the grip, the lower it will shoot.
Many people on th HK boards swear by their MMC adjustable sights, they're low profile and snag free.
http://www.mmcsight.com/
http://www.hkpro.com/