Author Topic: Remington 360  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Remington 360
« on: October 11, 2023, 12:45:34 PM »
So who's using one/planning on buying
one/ killed an animal with one  ?

I probably never will myself. I was looking
at what I have left rifle-wise, and I can't
see needing anything more ( unless one
of those  :D "deals" come along )

It sounds like an interesting something
after hearing and reading all the hoopla
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Remington 360
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 12:50:18 AM »
never heard of it till now. looks like a straight wall 35 rem. i have 2 35s and a 356 and dont need a straight wall 35. but if it can be made from 3030 brass it would sure make finding brass easier
blue lives matter

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 01:42:45 AM »
It's a more interesting proposition than
many of the other miracle rounds that
have been introduced the last few decades.

I could most likely do away with everything
except for a 30/30 and not be hampered,
but I do like to poke a big hole through the
game animals I shoot
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 01:26:59 AM »
I talk with people I've hunted and worked with
in the past, and some are all "excited " about the
360, but I haven't heard from anybody that's
actually used the 360 to hunt and take animals
with. I know a friend's son that has and uses
the 350L in an AR , and he's taken a couple of
wt deer and a couple of swine with it,  but he's
pretty much limited to buying and using factory
loads ( when they can be found)
I know the 350L uses the 355 dia bullets, and
I'm not exactly sure what kinds of big game
specific bullets are available in that size.
From what I understand, the 360 uses the
same ( or the same kind ) of bullets as a
35 rem and 35 Whelan
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 03:01:11 PM »
 Reminds me of the .357 super mag we shot in IHMSA match's 20+ years ago. Little longer case, Remington reinventing the wheel.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Mule 11

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 03:06:00 AM »
Ya know where this is going... It will just keep growing in small increments with a new whiz bang name.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 07:52:51 AM »
  The 360 Buckhammer was/is a collaboration between Henry and Remington.

It's made from shortened 30-30 brass and uses .357" bullets.  It's faster than a 350 Legend and legal in states that require straight walled cartridges in shotgun areas.  The bullets are designed for deer at Buckhammer velocities.

I like it and am thinking about picking one up in a Henry single shot, as soon as Henry chambers one in their SS, they have levers out now.

DM

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2023, 08:07:20 AM »
  Somehow, I seem to think that after all is said and done..and all the blackouts, magnums and super slayers have been tried...  many experienced
     hunters, as their mature years roll around, will sit back and ask themselves......

"Why did I go through all those inventive gyrations, while down through the years the old 30/30 kept on harvesting deer, bear and etc. each season?"
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2023, 08:25:25 AM »
  Somehow, I seem to think that after all is said and done..and all the blackouts, magnums and super slayers have been tried...  many experienced
     hunters, as their mature years roll around, will sit back and ask themselves......

"Why did I go through all those inventive gyrations, while down through the years the old 30/30 kept on harvesting deer, bear and etc. each season?"
  Because the 30-30 is NOT legal in the shotgun areas and the Buckhammer and a few others were designed for those areas.

DM

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2023, 08:44:00 AM »

Because the 30-30 is NOT legal in the shotgun areas and the Buckhammer and a few others were designed for those areas.

DM

I don't dispute the "shotgun only" areas...I hunted under those restrictions for years.  Then some forward looking counties in this backward state,
     opened "shotgun only" areas to rifles, and guess what?  Even less accidental shooting mistakes.

I have a nephew that hunts all of North America, and some places overseas, such as New Zealand..  He suffered an accidental shoorting by a
   friend,..which was in a "shotguns only" county.

Fortunately his friend was a paramedic, and packed the wound with snow..saving the life he almost took !  A 12 guage slug can be deadly, and I
    think my nephew Jay must have had 3 more things going for him.. 1) his size (6'8" about 315 pounds), his superb physical condition...and his
     relationship with God.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2023, 10:06:51 AM »
Well, every now and then,  someone NEEDS to reinvent the wheel, and like GOOD LITTLE SHEEP, a few will buy one in their search for that perfect rifle, and then there are some that will not want to fall too far behind the Joneses.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2023, 11:20:43 AM »
I’m ahead of this curve with the very old 375 Winchester...

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2023, 11:45:47 PM »
i like my 375 too but it was invented in 1978 so it isnt that old in the cartridge world. now its brother the 38/55 is old
I’m ahead of this curve with the very old 375 Winchester...
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 11:57:03 PM »
i guess i dont understand all these new rounds. if i want to hunt deer out to 200 yards and it has to be a straight case lever gun, why not my 444. ive got a ported outfitter that kicks a bit with 325 cast loads but my wife shoots it with factory level 240s. ive shot alot of game with the 444 and never found it lacking. kind of a flat shooting lower recoiling 4570.
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2023, 03:43:37 AM »
  The 444 Marlin does NOT meet the requirements, the case length  is too long.

DM

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2023, 08:14:07 AM »

DM

in michigan?
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2023, 08:25:20 AM »
  I  have hunted successfully with a .44 Mag, H&R...  On a whim , I bought a Ruger American chambered in .450 Bushmaster..

I haven't used it yet, but despite it's elevated noise and kick.. I doubt it will kill deer any "deader" than the old .44 Mag.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2023, 08:40:58 AM »

DM

in michigan?
  Along with some other states too.

DM

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2023, 10:22:41 AM »
you taught me something. how long can they be. could you trim them to legal length?
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2023, 01:19:23 PM »
  According to specs, my .450 Bushmaster is 1.700" length, while the Marlin .444 is 2.225", perhaps that is within your specs...and it has
      power enough for anything on the continent.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2023, 02:03:25 PM »
  !.800" is the MAX it can be, I've heard of folks trimming .444's to that, but I've never heard of anyone who met up with a DNR guy to see if he hassled them.

The Buckhammer takes the rules out to max, so it's already getting the most you can get according to the rules.

I already have rifles that will pass, and I doubt I'll ever hunt in a shotgun area anyway, but I really like the Buckhammer case, so I would like to buy one anyway.

DM

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2023, 02:21:11 PM »
. . . .but if it can be made from 3030 brass it would sure make finding brass easier

That ^ ^ ^ would be the appeal for me
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2023, 03:40:43 PM »
  !.800" is the MAX it can be, I've heard of folks trimming .444's to that, but I've never heard of anyone who met up with a DNR guy to see if he hassled them.

The Buckhammer takes the rules out to max, so it's already getting the most you can get according to the rules.

I already have rifles that will pass, and I doubt I'll ever hunt in a shotgun area anyway, but I really like the Buckhammer case, so I would like to buy one anyway.

DM

Who’s rules? I can use the 444 or the 458 win mag or the 405 in Ohio... I could not care less about straight wall restrictions in states I don’t hunt in...

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2023, 10:23:18 PM »
onlt part of MI is straight wall. where i live you can use any centerfire
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2023, 03:52:41 AM »
  Where I live, I can use any centerfire too and I only deer hunt on my own property, in fact, it's only a short walk to my blind from my house.

I did all the hard hunts I wanted when I was younger hunting moose, brown bear, caribou ect.. even climbing high up into the mountain hunting Dall sheep,

I no longer want to do hard hunts.

DM

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2023, 04:05:06 AM »
cool picture. id bet you the only one here thats done that
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2023, 04:20:34 AM »
   At one time years ago, all big game hunting in NY State was "shotgun only"..   After pressure by rural counties...some areas started to allow rifles.

Some "Chicken Little" legislators were very apprehensive for a time; but once approved they found the accidental shootrings went down in rifle areas

The curious thing  about trhe rifle law,. iks that allowable rifles are only limited to "centerfire'.  Although most of us know better, I suppose it would be
    legal to use a rifle chambered for .22 hornet, .380 or even perhaps a .25 APC...  Fortunately, I have heard of no cases where that has been tried.

THe counties that still have "shotgun only" rules, are the counties which have sizeable cities within them.  Yellow areas, rifle or shotgun.. and a
    few still choose shotgun (with slugs only, of course)..

If your state has similar restrictions, do they run as ours do, to counties with cities in them ?

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2023, 04:26:12 AM »
  If your state has similar restrictions, do they run as ours do, to counties with cities in them ?
  NO, it started because of farmers and thinking rifle bullets from high powered rifles go too far.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2023, 04:32:45 AM »
cool picture. id bet you the only one here thats done that
  I've shot a lot of caribou walking on the tundra for miles, I shot three bulls this day,

DM

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2023, 05:18:38 AM »
same thing in the nothern part that allows anything centerfire. i wouldnt bother trying today but dad shot quite a few when he was young with a hornet. said they liked it because it was quiet ;). grandpa hunted for alot of his life with a 25/20. uncle used a 32/20 guns like that were the norm back then. the guys with money had them fancy 3030s
   At one time years ago, all big game hunting in NY State was "shotgun only"..   After pressure by rural counties...some areas started to allow rifles.

Some "Chicken Little" legislators were very apprehensive for a time; but once approved they found the accidental shootrings went down in rifle areas

The curious thing  about trhe rifle law,. iks that allowable rifles are only limited to "centerfire'.  Although most of us know better, I suppose it would be
    legal to use a rifle chambered for .22 hornet, .380 or even perhaps a .25 APC...  Fortunately, I have heard of no cases where that has been tried.

THe counties that still have "shotgun only" rules, are the counties which have sizeable cities within them.  Yellow areas, rifle or shotgun.. and a
    few still choose shotgun (with slugs only, of course)..

blue lives matter