Author Topic: my home town  (Read 516 times)

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: my home town
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 02:55:40 AM »
 Been up there a few times Lloyd, beautiful. Friend of mine at the gun shows in the 80's and 90's, had a gun shop in Trenary. Use to say never buy a white vehicle if you lived in the U.P. When I asked him why, he said that a red, blue or black car/van sticks out better when the snow on each side of the road is 6-7 feet high!! :D I know the deer up there aren't any smarter than the ones here in Ohio. Coming back from a gun show in Duluth, until I got across the Mack, I couldn't make much over 35mph with all the deer in the highways!
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 06:49:43 AM »
Always wanted to do a road trip along Superior's coast line, but never have. Life events have kept me from being able to travel much.

Yeah the deer in Pa, aren't any smarter either. Deer have figured out how to evade people in the woods, but have never figured out how to keep from getting killed by cars. In fact it seems like deer wait for a car then run out in front of it.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 12:18:36 AM »
i used to go to that gunshop myself. dont know what happened it went from a gunshop to some kind of trapping store now its just closed. he had some cool guns in there. problem for him probably was he was to far in the sticks to get steady customers. another reason people stay away from white cars is they tend to rust faster and show it. the wet salt from the roads gets up in the fenders and rockers and the white paint reflects the sun so the metal stays cooler the a dark color so the dont dry out as fast
Been up there a few times Lloyd, beautiful. Friend of mine at the gun shows in the 80's and 90's, had a gun shop in Trenary. Use to say never buy a white vehicle if you lived in the U.P. When I asked him why, he said that a red, blue or black car/van sticks out better when the snow on each side of the road is 6-7 feet high!! :D I know the deer up there aren't any smarter than the ones here in Ohio. Coming back from a gun show in Duluth, until I got across the Mack, I couldn't make much over 35mph with all the deer in the highways!
blue lives matter

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 02:17:39 AM »
 Didn't know that about the color of the car, makes perfect sense. As far as the gun shop, owners first name was Roy, and could have played Paul Bunyan without any make up, or Grizzly Adams. Full beard and deep voice, but one of the friendliest guys you could talk to. Last I seen him, he was worried about his brother and his predicament. His brother owned a gun shop in the lower, and was being sued. He was the owner of the shop that was involved in the murder that was initiated on that scumbag tv show, Jenny Jones back in '95. Guy came out on stage, admitted he was gay, and had ''feelings'' for his best friend, who was also on stage. His friend, who wasn't gay, went to Roy's brother's gun shop, bought a shotgun, went over to his buddies house and killed him. Wasn't long after that, didn't see Roy at the shows.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 03:07:20 AM »
  Looks like a nice town to live in, Lloyd.  Must be a choice place for an outdoor sports fan..  A little of everything..fishing, hunting, camping and of
  course, skiing and snowmobiling.  Probably more cross counytry skiing, rather than Alpine style.

Some interesting lakeside cliffs there.  Do you get the occasional hiker taking a dive off them?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 08:59:04 AM »
one goes over every year or two and we lose one of the yuppy ice climbers occasionaly but more drunk snowmobilers then anything. winter time this is one of the biggest snowmobile destinations in the mid-west 
  Looks like a nice town to live in, Lloyd.  Must be a choice place for an outdoor sports fan..  A little of anything..fishing, hunting, camping and of
  course, skiing and snowmobiling.  Probably more cross counytry skiing, rather than Alpine style.

Some interesting lakeside cliffs there.  Do you get the occasional hiker taking a dive off them?
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 10:13:33 AM »
  I like to tour locations all over the globe.  It is so convenient now, what with Google m,aps and it's street views..

I toured your town, and could see that it is a decent, law abiding town.  Some may ask...how can you tell from a Google map?

Well, that is quite easy.. One clue, your town has large lawns with no obtrusive Cyclone or other fences...  Some town we may tour, have fences around every yard, some rather attractive, but most not so.

THen you look to see if those fences ar 4' tall or 5-6 feet tall.  Does the top of the fence have some kind of sharp popints to deter climbing?

Then when the neighborhood is really bad..there are  bar cages over each window..and often the doors may be equipped the same way...

People there in Munising seem to keep their lawns/properties reasonably neat and clean...and open..

If one wants to see defensive fences, bars and walls..hgo visit Google street view in those Mexican border towns...or many other places in the world.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 10:36:58 AM »
  Here's a funny little story from my home town. 
   Our American Legion post is atbthe center of our little town.  So I'll post a drone photo of the center of town..at the only traffic light, a red blinker.

At top center is our town hall (brick)..Center right, outdoor store (brick-mini Cabelas), left center Alfie's gas station/auto repair shop.
  Foreground, Legion post with high mounted soldier monument in circular space with flags.

Ouir soldier monument (1st Cav patch) is not of bronze..it is of a modern fiber/acrylic construction.  Kids tend to want to play oin the park, and one tried hanging on the soldier's M-16.  Well, he broke the barrel off..  We got it repaired..and Alfie watches over it ever since.

One day recently, 2-3 kids about 12-14 yrs old, were hanging around and climbing up to stand beside the soldier.  Alfie knew perhaps tthat the gun barrel may go next..

So Alfie shouts over at them, saying...

" Hey you boys better get out of there,; don't you know those guys have been taught to shoot people!

Kids left right off... :D ;D

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 10:09:14 PM »
i actually live 5 miles out of town. even munising with a population of 2k is to busy for me. cant even piss off the back porch ;)
   Our American Legion post is atbthe center of our little town.  So I'll post a drone photo of the center of town..at the only traffic light, a red blinker.

At top center is our town hall (brick)..Center right, outdoor store (brick-mini Cabelas), left center Alfie's gas station/auto repair shop.
  Foreground, Legion post with high mounted soldier monument in circular space with flags.

Ouir soldier monument (1st Cav patch) is not of bronze..it is of a modern fiber/acrylic construction.  Kids tend to want to play oin the park, and one tried hanging on the soldier's M-16.  Well, he broke the barrel off..  We got it repaired..and Alfie watches over it ever since.

One day recently, 2-3 kids about 12-14 yrs old, were hanging around and climbing up to stand beside the soldier.  Alfie knew perhaps tthat the gun barrel may go next..

" Hey you boys better get out of there,; don't you know those guys have been taught to shoot people!

blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 12:49:19 AM »
  I live in the hamlet..but it is about 700 population..  My recreational land is about 4 miles down the road from my house, although hunting and fishing is available within walking distance of my house..about a 1/4 mile..

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 12:55:09 AM »
  Now we have to wonder about the dealers who sold guns even legitimately, to the killer in Lewiston or any other venue where shootings have occured.

I'm guessing the owner of the shop in Lewiston will be raked over the coals..while little mention is made of the Docs or "authorities" who
  may or may not have ignored all the warning signs.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 08:33:32 AM »
about three hundred here and deer and bear in my back yard.
  I live in the hamlet..but it is about 700 population..  My recreational land is about 4 miles down the road from my house, although hunting and fishing is available within walking distance of my house..about a 1/4 mile..
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 09:21:30 AM »
about three hundred here and deer and bear in my back yard.
  THe place where i live has about 700 residents, but the nearby lake with it's population..would expand that to probably double, with about half being year round residents.

My rec property has hill, woods and creek that I have to keep the beavers from damming up too much.  A man who ownd property nearby, says he saw a sow bear with 4 cubs, pass from his land to mine about  2 weeks ago.  Lots of deer and other stuff. mostly hardwoods, but not enough nut trees to attract as many squirrels as I would like.

Online Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 08:57:20 AM »
i actually live 5 miles out of town. even munising with a population of 2k is to busy for me. cant even piss off the back porch ;)

Wow, you have to go to the BACK porch?   ;)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2023, 09:24:22 AM »
could off the front too but about once a day some tourist or gawker rides down the road. plus my wife bitches that it smells like piss if i do it to much ;)

Wow, you have to go to the BACK porch?   ;)
blue lives matter