Author Topic: Gold Gold Gold  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Gold Gold Gold
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2023, 07:57:09 AM »
I'm still wondering how that gold that was
bought explicitly for use as currency when
printed paper money is no longer viable will
be utilized at that time.
As far as I understand, an ingot of gold
will cost the average consumer $2000.00
US dollars at this point in time.
I'm not aware  of a consumer affordable device
that will divide a gold ingot into 2000 precise
parts to use as a dollar's worth for everyday
purchases.  And realistically in this 21st
century,  stores will not be going back to
the old ways of the frontier trading posts
and trading groceries and goods for gems
and precious metals and animal hides.

Any realistic answer to the question?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2023, 08:41:22 AM »
Personally I got junk silver coins to use for "trade" purposes. Point is that unless you are going to straight barter, you need some convenient method of moving value from one transaction to the next one. What ever the community agrees to accept will work, rocks, silver coins, or wooden nickels, etc.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Online Casull

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2023, 08:52:49 AM »
Just don't know why people think gold is bad to have, when mankind has been using it as a currency and sign of wealth for thousands of years.  And, no you're not going to cut off 1/2000 of an ingot or coin to buy a loaf of bread (can't even find bread for that amount now), but that's what silver is for.  Hell, empires have been built on it.  Don't recall anyone talking about soldiers or merchants or anyone else ever refusing it in the history of mankind.  I guess somehow it's different now that all the experts say that beans are the way to go.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Online Casull

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2023, 09:09:30 AM »
bought my camp and 80 acres in 99 for 37k. last year was offered 180k for it. i didnt have to go and see what i could get for it. they came to me. then like was posted when you bought that gold for 400 bucks unless you paid way under spot price you got taken for the same ride youd be on trying to get someone to actually give you 2k an once. then factor in inflation. you could buy a well equipped 4x4 pickup in 2000 for 15k. i know I bought one that year. today the same truck would set you back 55-60k or 4 times as much.

so well you might have made a bit of profit its nothing like what gold buyers and sellers like to claim. i made the same gains with my camp and our whole family has enjoyed it and hunted their for 20 years. how much fun and memories did you make with those rocks. my take on it in a shtf scenario is the value of something that cant be used for what its good for and when staying alive is the major concern, not gaining wealth the price of frivolous things tank. no im no expert and dont claim to be and we havent seen a real shtf scenario to test it. keep in mind our government uses gold to back up the dollar. what happens to the value of your gold if there is no government? what happens when it fails and fort knox is ransacked and all that gold hits the streets? you wont be able to buy a bag of beans for 10lbs of it. i doubt you bought your gold as a shtf currency. i know your an intelligent man and im sure you bought it as a long term investment for your older retired years. it worked well for that.

i would have been better off buying gold then i did with my 401k. but shtf is a totaly different thing and unless you can find a way to tenderize it ill take beans rice and ammo. long term is over for me. ive got a little money in the bank for unforeseen non shtf stuff. i no longer save money. today im 67 and am going to spend as many years as i can enjoying myself. if i want something i buy it. im not going to spend my last years driving rusty vehicles or sitting home to save more money that my kids will blow. actually this whole discussion is silly. there's probably no 5% of us here that are young enough and or are in good enough shape to survive a shtf thing anyway no matter what you have stashed. hell, do you even want to live in a world like that?

Not one thing wrong with land.  You do get to enjoy it . . . and pay taxes on it each year.  But, I wasn't talking a quarter of a century.  In ten years it appreciated over 450%.  I'm pretty sure that beat inflation by a bit.  Also, if you do have to bug out, it's much easier to take $10,000 of gold with you rather than $10,000 worth of beans.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2023, 09:59:11 AM »
Just don't know why people think gold is bad to have, when mankind has been using it as a currency and sign of wealth for thousands of years.  And, no you're not going to cut off 1/2000 of an ingot or coin to buy a loaf of bread (can't even find bread for that amount now. . .

That's still not an answer to the inquiry
I don't care if someone has 2 dumpsters worth
of gold bought and stashed away. That's nobody's
else's business or concern.
I've been asking the same question for a while since
a friend became very ill a decade + -  ago and his
wife had been having an affair unbeknown to him,
and decided to pick up and go away, and took most
of their funds with her along with a substantial amount
from her job. He actually mostly recovered and on
some advice he got from somewhere I don't know
of put everything he had left into gold and a safe to
keep it in.  That was all good until the time to pay
taxes came around. Needless to say, no county
tax office in this region accepts gold for payment
and they'll legally seize whatever they want to settle
their alleged debt as they see fit. He had to sell
a good bit of his gold at a loss to keep his home
and property.

If somebody wants to dabble in buying and selling
gold, that doesn't matter to me. 
My question is that for those who buy and stash
gold for the time when the currency used for
trade is no longer worth anything,  how will you
pay for goods and services?
And I can assure you that the nation is definitely not
going back to the old frontier days of the general store
and dry goods stores that trade in gems and precious
metals and processed furs.
The last of the trader/peddler days died with my
mother's generation. Pre- WWII their family did trade
eggs and chickens and butter and vegetables to a
traveling peddler for sewing needles and thread
and matches and liniments and medicines and
such, but that'll never happen again while any of
us are still living and the world hasn't ended.
A good many of the population can't even do
simple household chores anymore, or function
without a smartphone in hand. I honestly don't
believe that today's generations could work
and do hard sharecropping labor like they did

Still, an honest sincere inquiry and not poking
any ridicule at anybody.
If you're saving gold for times of collapse when
printed currency is no longer a valid means of
trade, how can you spend it for goods and services
without cheating yourself, or getting robbed of
it and killed?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Online Casull

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2023, 10:34:32 AM »
Well, your response seems to indicate that no type of barter or trade or currency of any kind will exist.  I don't agree with that assessment.  But, if that were the case, then what you're saying is that we would just have to put our heads between our legs and kiss our a** goodbye.  If you can't buy with gold or silver or trade for goods, what is left? 
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2023, 11:10:10 AM »
Not saying that at all.
But the proliferation of a chain of grocery and department
stores won't be anywhere close to what we have right now,
and the days of bartering as was during the 1800's will
never happen with things as they are now.
Not with the millions of people in the world as there are now.
If civilization survives to where that does happen,  it
won't be anything like things are now.
I see many posts on various sites about people that
genuinely think they'll roam the countryside taking whatever
goods they want as if they were the pirates of old days.

Still,  nobody has to justify the things they lawfully own
to me or anybody else.  And it's obvious here who
dabbles with gold without posting that they dabble in gold.

Still the unanswered question is- If someone is collecting
gold with the intention of using it for purchasing goods
and services after the collapse of printed currency,
how is that going to take place keeping in mind that
the businesses and tradesmen that we utilize this
time period don't utilize gems or precious metals
or animal hides as payment?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Online Casull

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2023, 01:39:56 PM »
If that happens, times will change.  Humans are adaptable.  They have been for thousands of years.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2023, 03:46:31 PM »
Arguing with idiots is an empty endeavor...

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2023, 05:04:57 PM »
Well, your response seems to indicate that no type of barter or trade or currency of any kind will exist.  I don't agree with that assessment.  But, if that were the case, then what you're saying is that we would just have to put our heads between our legs and kiss our a** goodbye.  If you can't buy with gold or silver or trade for goods, what is left?

I think the real question would be in such a scenario:which side of the trade would get the final say on the trade value of the gold, or silver, and of what real value, or use, would either metal be in such a scenario.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2023, 05:29:11 PM »
It (gold and silver) will be more accepted than paper money. And it might have some drawbacks but will be more transportable than crops and most trade goods. I'd guess, also, that the population will be much lower. Most of us old folks will quickly pass on to our final reward as will those who can't adapt no matter what age they are. Those who remain will figure it out.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2023, 12:36:43 AM »
if i bug out its to camp and even that is unlikely. i already live where many would like to get to. sure not going anywhere without both of my trucks full of food guns and ammo. hell i couldnt walk 5 miles to town let alone wonder the country side
bought my camp and 80 acres in 99 for 37k. last year was offered 180k for it. i didnt have to go and see what i could get for it. they came to me. then like was posted when you bought that gold for 400 bucks unless you paid way under spot price you got taken for the same ride youd be on trying to get someone to actually give you 2k an once. then factor in inflation. you could buy a well equipped 4x4 pickup in 2000 for 15k. i know I bought one that year. today the same truck would set you back 55-60k or 4 times as much.

so well you might have made a bit of profit its nothing like what gold buyers and sellers like to claim. i made the same gains with my camp and our whole family has enjoyed it and hunted their for 20 years. how much fun and memories did you make with those rocks. my take on it in a shtf scenario is the value of something that cant be used for what its good for and when staying alive is the major concern, not gaining wealth the price of frivolous things tank. no im no expert and dont claim to be and we havent seen a real shtf scenario to test it. keep in mind our government uses gold to back up the dollar. what happens to the value of your gold if there is no government? what happens when it fails and fort knox is ransacked and all that gold hits the streets? you wont be able to buy a bag of beans for 10lbs of it. i doubt you bought your gold as a shtf currency. i know your an intelligent man and im sure you bought it as a long term investment for your older retired years. it worked well for that.

i would have been better off buying gold then i did with my 401k. but shtf is a totaly different thing and unless you can find a way to tenderize it ill take beans rice and ammo. long term is over for me. ive got a little money in the bank for unforeseen non shtf stuff. i no longer save money. today im 67 and am going to spend as many years as i can enjoying myself. if i want something i buy it. im not going to spend my last years driving rusty vehicles or sitting home to save more money that my kids will blow. actually this whole discussion is silly. there's probably no 5% of us here that are young enough and or are in good enough shape to survive a shtf thing anyway no matter what you have stashed. hell, do you even want to live in a world like that?

Not one thing wrong with land.  You do get to enjoy it . . . and pay taxes on it each year.  But, I wasn't talking a quarter of a century.  In ten years it appreciated over 450%.  I'm pretty sure that beat inflation by a bit.  Also, if you do have to bug out, it's much easier to take $10,000 of gold with you rather than $10,000 worth of beans.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2023, 12:45:26 AM »
  is that 450% based on spot price or real world prices. at least with the been id eat tonight and like i said im not putting on a back pack and heading out and i seriously doubt if even one of us on here would leave their home. so its more like which would i prefer in my basement? 10k in gold or 10k in beans. id bet with 10k in beans you would be the wealthiest man in the county in a month.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2023, 12:50:06 AM »
probably the side that has the most guns.

I think the real question would be in such a scenario:which side of the trade would get the final say on the trade value of the gold, or silver, and of what real value, or use, would either metal be in such a scenario.
blue lives matter

Online Casull

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2023, 08:02:26 AM »
  is that 450% based on spot price or real world prices. at least with the been id eat tonight and like i said im not putting on a back pack and heading out and i seriously doubt if even one of us on here would leave their home. so its more like which would i prefer in my basement? 10k in gold or 10k in beans. id bet with 10k in beans you would be the wealthiest man in the county in a month.

That was actual buy and sell numbers.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2023, 12:14:24 AM »
then you made out real well. id watch closely and its looks like a real shtf senerio is on the horizon sell it for top dollar and buy some stuff that will be useful before your stuck with shiny rocks that people just trying to survive day to day will have no use for

That was actual buy and sell numbers.
blue lives matter

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2023, 12:57:33 PM »
What do you think pieces of eight were?

When was the last time you paid for anything with pieces of eight?
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.