Author Topic: Trying to locate someone  (Read 302 times)

Offline littlecanoe

• Trade Count: (14)
Trying to locate someone
« on: November 16, 2023, 11:02:55 PM »
Three or four years ago I was in contact with a guy that’s been on the forum for years. He moved in Florida and was a retired engineer. We had been discussing the RCBS piggyback II system and how to set it up.

Unfortunately I can’t remember if we had been discussing on this or the other forum and I can’t remember his name. I do recall that he had property and possibly family in South Carolina and would go up each year to deer hunt.

If anyone can remember his username  I’d really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Trying to locate someone
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 12:35:52 AM »
I'm still here littlecanoe.  What's the question?  Let's get a dialog going...

Offline littlecanoe

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 01:18:08 AM »
Hey! There you are!

Several years ago we were discussing the PiggyBack II system.  My attention was diverted away from that project before getting it completed.  I'm back on the idea of getting a progressive system going.  If I remember our conversation I was possibly missing some important parts. I'm trying to decide if I want to start back on the project or just sell my components and go with a Dillon 550c.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 01:43:10 AM »
The Piggyback II "playbook" (exploded diagram) is available from RCBS so you can check parts and pieces, (scroll through) here:

https://www.rcbs.com/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-HuntShootAccessoriesSharedLibrary/default/dw97840776/productPdfFiles/rcbsPdf/Parts_Book.pdf

I can "walk you through" setting up the PBII and some of its idiosyncrasies.  I believe you have the PBII in hand.  There are parts and pieces still available.  It is a good machine.  Consider the use intended.  Casual to occasionally heavy use is OK.  Continuous heavy use is maybe not OK. 

I decided that the PBII priming system was awkward to use and took that offline.  I also took offline the forming of cases.  Now I use a Lee Classic Press separately for case forming and an RCBS Universal Priming Tool for that element.

I still "flare" case mouths for lead-alloy boolits on the PBII, and added a powder indicator die, which could easily be the addition of a mirror and light to the mechanism.  As I indicated, I can "walk you through" the PBII.  I don't know any other brand of machine...

If you have a line on the Dillon 550c, I can't help you in that. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 01:53:10 AM »
...you have a line on the Dillon 550.  I can't help you in that.
if he goes that route he wont have problems to discuss. I sadly know the idiosyncrasy's of hornady loc and loads because i thought i was smart buyin two of them instead of a 650 and now they collect dust with the case feeders long removed. i might use the one for trimming with the dillon trimmer or charging and seating bullets with 223. but i gave up on the priming and case feeder problems and the good one has to have the timing adjusted after about a thousand rounds and the other one is lucky to go a 100 and anymore is just decoration in the loading room. BUY A 550. Youll never regret it. I probably do 90 percent of my loading on mine
blue lives matter

Offline littlecanoe

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 03:35:53 AM »
Are you manually loading the brass and bullet on the 550?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 05:03:27 AM »
yes the case feeders for them suck because they block it so you cant feed them by hand if you dont want to use the case feeder. if a case feeder is a must buck up for a 650 or i guess now they call it a 750
blue lives matter

Offline littlecanoe

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 06:28:51 AM »
It appears that I have large primer feeders on both of the heads. I have multiple discs and I have a large and small primer feeder tube along with a small primer feeder.

My goal is to set one up for 10 mm pistol and the other for 9 mm Luger. I understand that I can go with a case activated trigger for the powder measure.

From what you guys are seeing here what are the basics that I’m missing to set this up for both of those calibers?

Offline littlecanoe

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 06:36:44 AM »
Dang. Pics files are too large.

Offline littlecanoe

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 04:48:45 AM »
What's "missing" is a gigantic cleaning of all parts.  Take it ALL apart.  Using pictures and the expanded parts list, lightly clean a part with 0000 steel wool to remove surface dirt and rust.  "Tick mark" each part on a copy of the expanded parts list...that will show you what you have and what you might need.  Put it back together using the parts list, picture(s), and light oil. 

The round steel ball and spring that go under the shell plate are important elements as are the nylon bushings on the central shaft of the unit.  Those look filthy in the pictures and must be cleaned well in order for the unit to function smoothly. 

It is not rocket science to take it apart and clean.  You just have to be "a little mechanical minded" and get your hands dirty. Get familiar with it... 

You don't "need" the machine's auto-primer parts - you can prime cases offline much faster and imo better.

You don't need to form cases on the machine - you can do that offline faster and better too.

Let the machine bell case mouth, load powder, visually check for powder (if you have an indicator die), set the bullet, and crimp the case mouth.

Offline littlecanoe

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2023, 08:50:01 AM »
What bench mounted primer are you using?

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 01:11:30 AM »
https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/bench-mounted/automatic-priming-tool/16-9460.html

There are used units for less $$'s.  ^^^ This RCBS product uses the same primer holders (S & L), as the PBII.

Offline littlecanoe

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 03:09:18 AM »
Thanks for helping me get back on track with this.