Author Topic: Storage/Transport of extra barrels?  (Read 968 times)

Offline student

• Trade Count: (0)
Storage/Transport of extra barrels?
« on: March 25, 2004, 02:11:26 AM »
Now that I have my large set of extra barrels (.223 plus .243, .308, and 20 GA rifled) I am faced with how to store and transport them so they don't get damaged.

I have considered a large 2 gun plastic hard side case I saw at Cabelas for 25.00 but it'll be 30 by the time I get it, and the barrels might slide around inside.  I was thinking about trying to build my own with hollowed out stiff foam insulation or something like that.

We Handi owners like to be cost conscious (cheap?).  Does anyone have any ideas?  How do you handle your xtra barrels?

Student

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 02:52:17 AM »
I use the foam that you use to put around pipes for winter protection...I split one side and make a wide slot for the bottom of the barrel. The scope (if applicable just sitsup on top of the foam...it keeps them from rattling around in the case...it's padded too but things still shift around.. :mrgreen:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 03:34:51 AM »
Nef could make a bundle on a soft case with 3 - 4 barrel compartments.
For instance.. When I hunt New york... Orange Co. is rifle, across the Hudson, Dutchess and Putnam cos. are Shotgun / Muzzleloader only.
I have shot deer in all 3. Wouldn't it be nice to have the whole shootin' match (no pun intended) in the same place, when I transport!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 04:47:57 AM »
NEF does make a soft case for the "Versa Pak" that fits 2 barrels and a stock. I have an old one they used to make and it's good for 2 barrels and a Buttstock. I picked up a soft sided canvas "Marlin - Midget Magnum" case similar to it for $10.00 used but like new at a gun shop. It works great if you can find one and you don't mind a soft sided case. I like the idea of foam pipe insulation split and placed around the barrels, Thanks for the suggestion....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline bull b 25-06

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 02:52:03 PM »
I've got a cue stick soft storage case i've been thinking about using. I think it should hold at least two barrels,and it has a built in divider to seperate two pool cue's. I got mine at Wal-Mart. Later bull b 25-06

:D
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 04:13:09 PM »
Why not just bubble wrap 'em and stick 'em in your suitcase. Did somebody mention CHEAP!  :)
 :D
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline bull b 25-06

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 05:16:22 PM »
If you use the bubble wrap,and are coming in out of the cold weather you must take the barrels out of the wrap immediately due to condensation. You talk about some horrible rust. This didn;t happen to me ,but did too a friend.   later bull b 25-06
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules