Author Topic: If you ever want to try renting an EV...  (Read 318 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
If you ever want to try renting an EV...
« on: November 25, 2023, 03:37:25 AM »
  If you ever want to try renting an electric car...consider this guy's experience at it...

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159851676396430&set=a.226812366429
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: If you ever want to try renting an EV...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 04:04:06 AM »
I noticed the vehicle was not a Tesla.  I've read a lot about the pros and cons of electric vehicles.  It seems like Tesla is about 2 generations ahead of everyone else.  They have longer range and faster charging than other vehicles, and they are lowering prices. 

Popular Mechanics did a test of a BMW gasoline vehicle, a Tesla (don't remember which model, but it was a long range version), and an electric Mustang.  They all drove the same route from somewhere on the east coast to Chicago, article said 1,000 miles.  The BMW gasoline made in in 19 hours, Tesla in 21 hours, the Mustang in 36 hours.  Now they had to stop overnight for the same length of time.  Tesla used their supercharging stations (1,000 volts DC charging, takes about 45 minutes).  The Mustang used government subsidized 220 volt AC charging stations.  They said a couple of extra hours or about 1 hour per day longer was within reason. 

After this test, Tesla got contracts with Ford, GM, Chrysler, and several other foreign vehicles for charging rights to their charging stations.  So Tesla is going to make money from competitors using their charging stations.  Tesla is considering opening Tesla restaurants with charging stations at every parking space.  This would allow them to make money off the restaurant as well as people stopping for lunch on a trip to charge while they eat.  Smart move. 

I am not advocating electric cars, one way of the other.  However Toyota tested a solid state battery on one of their cars and got over 900 mile range.  This solid state battery can charge in 5-10 minutes and uses far cheaper materials to manufacture.  HOWEVER, it is a complicated manufacturing process and they said they can't make but 10,000 vehicles using solid state batteries due to the time and process it takes. 

Solid state batteries use somewhat similar technology to zip drives that store information electronically.  Instead they store power, quick to charge, and can be slow release.  Still a long way to go.

The drawbacks to electric cars is they use, in one year, the same amount of power as two homes in a year.  200 million vehicles running electric would be like atting 400 million homes to the grid.  The grid cannot absolutely cannot handle it.  It is going to take years to upgrade the grid.  This has to be done FIRST, while they get all the bugs out of electric vehicles, like range, quick charging, and cost. 

Texas alone has enough windmills to power their state, but only 22% of the power gets to the people.  They are having easement and right of way problems getting the power from west Texas to east Texas where most of the people live.  Nukes have to be in the mix.  The company that was supposed to build windmills off the New Jersey coast went bankrupt.  Storing wind and solar power in giant batteries or some way has to be factored in, but that is where the cost skyrockets.  Windmills alone cost about as much as natural gas to produce power, however, sometimes the wind doesn't blow, and sometimes it blows too much.  This is were storage has to be built to flatten out the release.  Solar is getting fairly cheap.  I recently priced it for my home.  It would cost about $2,000-$4,000, but no power at night.  Adding the batteries necessary to store this power would be around $12-15,000.  So, that gets it up to $16-20,000.  Not cost effective. 

So, regardless of what the left says, it is going to take about 30 years to work out the pricing and build the infrastructure for solar/wind/nuclear clean power.  Nuclear is a little more expensive, but less than battery storage.  Nukes are 24-7 power for years.  Some power plants are over 50 years old.  If built properly are safe and clean.  France produces about 85% of it's power from nukes.  They built them all alike and modular so parts are easy to replace. 
Opelika Portal

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 04:17:06 AM »
  This I know...I can find a gas station in short order and fill up in 5 minutes.. ;)  ;D

that aside...Dr Janmes Tour (Rice University) has made some fantastic breakthroughs with nanotechnology.  Batteries made from graphene, derived from such a common substance as carbon...will put lithium batteries out of existence.

Of course, the Obidens wouldn't like that, since China has about bought up most sources of lithium and cobalt... and China expects a payoff for their money already invested.

Besides, the left doesn'tlike this technology, because it would provide people more freedom...and their "control freak" natures do not like that notion..

The only thing holding up graphene battery , is the method of producing graphene more cheaply...but they are on their way..

Dr James Tour and Nano technology..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKPGIdpPeS4

Graphene is not just for batteries.. it is stronger than steel and very light..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIbgauhV2Js

I copied this statement from a site that uses cookies..so I do not post the link, but here is further information..

" Graphene batteries remove the safety issue of lithium-ion batteries almost completely, as one of the electrodes in the battery is replaced with a hybrid composite material which must include graphene, making an explosion at the contact of the two electrodes extremely unlikely.

Safety, however, is not the main selling point of graphene batteries. While lithium-ion batteries are famous for their high weight to capacity ratio, Graphene as a material is extremely lightweight, and due to its thin, flat, and hexagonal structure, it is also an excellent conductor of energy and electricity. Despite being thin, it remains extremely strong (notably stronger than diamond or steel)."

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 07:38:37 AM »
you will NEVER have to worry about this guy renting an ev or even sitting in one.
blue lives matter

Offline TrumpWon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 08:41:29 AM »
Never say never!
They've started making electric hearses :)

https://www.electrichearse.co.uk/

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 09:33:43 AM »
I am 70, probably won't get one in my lifetime.  However, it is coming, even without government mandates or subsidies.  Musk started making electric cars in the early 2,000's.  Didn't start mass production until 2012.  Teslas became very popular in California because of high fuel costs, high gas mileage mandates.  Musk saw and opportunity and exploited it.  He made his first cars (Model S) to sell to the rich in California.  It sold so well, he expanded.  That is why he is way ahead of everyone else.  He even said we have to keep drilling for oil as gasoline and diesel cars aren't going out of business anytime soon.  Even he sees this.  But he is not liked by the liberals anymore. 
Opelika Portal

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 09:43:10 AM »
  If anyone can do it, Elon Musk can !   He builds them without Kow-towing to political gangsters.  If a graphene battery will work better, he will use
     it...no matter how the Chinese, who have a monopoly on lithium, may have bribed any politicians..

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 09:48:18 AM »
Never say never!
They've started making electric hearses :)

https://www.electrichearse.co.uk/

Causes one to wonder if they are putting electric in the hearses, hoping to arrange some kind of shock treatment, to give the corpse a new
   lease on life !

If that's the case...they are "barking up the wrong tree".!

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 04:46:48 PM »
Saw a news article the other week that factored the cost of owning an EV and the cost per gallon equaled $17 a gallon in comparison with gas fueled vehicles. EV's are stacking up on Dealers lots across the country because of the miles driven range problem, lack of charging facilities and the increasing reports of them catching fire while charging and on the road. Even with incentives from the feds, manufacturers and dealers they aren't selling because no one wants one.
wtxbadger

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 12:56:20 AM »
Saw a news article the other week that factored the cost of owning an EV and the cost per gallon equaled $17 a gallon in comparison with gas fueled vehicles. EV's are stacking up on Dealers lots across the country because of the miles driven range problem, lack of charging facilities and the increasing reports of them catching fire while charging and on the road. Even with incentives from the feds, manufacturers and dealers they aren't selling because no one wants one.

Watch the junkyards in coming years...  An EV which cost the original owner say, $28,000..he has it seven years and the battery goes..

Does he shell out $28,000 all over again, for a seven year old car...or does he junk it ?  Frankly, I see junkyards full of late model EVs.

..But then, do we miss their point, the Commies that is !

Perhaps they figure they will have every "commoner family" in a "15 minute city".. in a high rise "projects building"....without a need for a car..

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 01:14:16 AM »
yup some of the lib buyers who jumped in hook line and sinker are finally facing the reality of the cost and inconvenience and will really take it up the ass when they say enough and try to sell or trade it.
blue lives matter

Offline TrumpWon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 04:45:29 AM »

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 05:23:31 AM »
car and driver!! thats comical. bunch of libs that hate everything made in america. the rag of "prius owners of america" been bought and paid for since the 80s. still have to ask wheres the picture of yoy standing beside your ev. just another one that talks the talk.
Car and Drivers cost comparison

https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a32494027/ev-vs-gas-cheaper-to-own/
blue lives matter