Author Topic: The internet...curses and kudos..  (Read 172 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
The internet...curses and kudos..
« on: December 11, 2023, 03:28:38 AM »
   While recently preparing a message for delivery, it occurred to me that the internet, having such a presence in our lives can be either a detrimental
   or salubrious source, depending upon how we utilize or apply it.

The internet is a "mixed bag" IMO.. and I have misgivings with it.  ..But as with many things..knives, guns, matches, cars, trucks, tanks or
   towers..it can be used for good, and beneficial outcomes...or it can be very evil and destructive..

There is a plethora of trash and filth on the WWW, but there are also great resources there. 

As I went about the task of preparing a presentation...it occurred to me that we have such great resources at my fingertips. One can spend hours
   on the web, playing games, or on the "social" forums, but by the same token, one can greatly add to their knowledge store, with no cost and little
     effort.

Before the internet, when I prepared messages, lesson plans or any such item, one would be required to visit the library..and hope they have
   what is needed.  ..But today, with the internet, those great sources of information are at our fingertips, if we choose to utilize them.

For example; Jordan Peterson has assembled a distinguished body of scholars to a round table discussion of the Exodus.  This discussion is not just
  for the religious value, but for it's historical, cultural and allegorical effects. 

This discussion is in * parts...and totally free on the web, a full semester's instruction value...at no cost, an done need not leave home to partake.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jordan+peterson+exodus+series

Almost any subject desired..instruction by scholars at no cost or travel needed.  As an example, here is a short instruction on the Jamestown 
   colony..   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDlJ1hAWQKY

I can only wish I had such easily obtained resources, back in the 1980s, as I pulled a stint as a history teacher.  One can obtain a full college
    education at no cost and  minimum effort. Sure, they won't necessarily have the paper to prove it, but the gain will still be there.

Everything from Aardvark to Zoroaster and more, is available, as fingers glide across the keyboard..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)