Author Topic: Ukrainian 'Invisibility Cloak' Ready for Mass Production  (Read 229 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Ukrainian 'Invisibility Cloak' Ready for Mass Production
« on: December 15, 2023, 02:26:13 AM »
https://www.newsmax.com/scitech/invisibility-cloak-ukraine-military/2023/10/05/id/1137176/

By Nicole Wells    |   Thursday, 05 October 2023 05:43 PM EDT

An "invisibility cloak" has been created out of necessity and it's Ukraine that has it.

Developed by the Ukrainian government, the new military clothing is designed to conceal Ukrainian soldiers from Russian thermal cameras and is ready for mass production, Newsweek reported.

Maxim Boryak, a member of the team developing the cloak under the Ukrainian government's Brave1 research program, said on Wednesday that the group is already working on upgrades to the battlefield technology.

"We received positive feedback from the military who tested the cloak, along with recommendations and wishes," Boryak told Newsweek, adding that he and his colleagues "hope that our scientific research will be crowned with success in the near future by an updated sample of the cloak."

Ukrainian Minister of Digital Transformation Mykhailo Fedorov shared a video from Brave1 on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, of the invisibility cloak being tested.

"Have u ever read about invisibility cloaks in fairy tales?" Fedorov asked. "Well, Ukrainians made it. The cloak blocks heat radiation & makes defenders invisible to Russian thermal cameras. It will help our soldiers work effectively during the night."

Boryak told Newsweek that the video doesn't showcase the technology's full capabilities.

"In the video, you can see a person's face, which is not covered by a special mask; a protective mask is included in the cloak kit," he explained. "If you wear a protective mask and special glasses, it will 'blind' a thermal imager."

"Our production capacity is currently limited to 150 units per month, but if necessary, we can increase the volume of production," Boryak continued. "The presented sample is ready for mass production and wide application in the area with the presence of natural vegetation, when a person is in any position: standing, sitting, or lying down. It is allowed to use a cloak in an open area only in the lying position."

Boryak said the wearable technology was designed with covert operations in mind and pointed to special operations, reconnaissance, sabotage, sapper, and sniper teams as units that are especially suitable. Soldiers standing guard and conducting patrols would also benefit from the garment, he said.

Currently there are limits to the cloak's functionality, however.

"The cloak masking properties are preserved indefinitely as long as the person in the cloak moves very slowly, so that the human body does not additionally release excess heat, for example, when moving quickly over the terrain," Boryak told Newsweek.

"The cloak is designed for the slow positioning of a person in the place of dislocation and cannot be used during rapid movement, which is accompanied by excessive heat release and minor leakage through the ventilation holes in the cloak." He added that dangerous thermal leakage can be somewhat undetectable if the wearer is hidden in vegetation.

Russia's unprovoked invasion of neighboring Ukraine and the gradual introduction of high-tech Western military equipment on the battlefield has spurred rapid technological and tactical advances. The new cloaking technology could give Ukrainian forces an edge on dark battlefields that are frequently surveilled by drones with sophisticated cameras.

According to Boryak, the plan is to improve "our product so that it can be used for fast movement in open terrain. Research is being conducted in this direction in cooperation with other scientists. It is planned to conduct full-scale tests of a new model of cloak with improved camouflage properties by the end of the year."

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Ukrainian 'Invisibility Cloak' Ready for Mass Production
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »
     Sounds interesting..  I have long wondered if one could sew some of that Mylar reflective  material inside a BDU, how that would work ..

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 11:01:12 PM »
yes it will but it would have 3 disadvantages that wouldnt allow it to be part of there everyday uniform. it doesnt breath, its noisy and well it reflects thermal imaging a  common flash light would turn you into a big light bulb. maybe you could sew some camo over it like you said but its going to be a sauna when it gets warm. id abouyt bet this thing bill is posting about is a breathable and quiet fabric
     Sounds interesting..  I have long wondered if one could sew some of that Mylar reflective  material inside a BDU, how that would work ..

blue lives matter

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 01:11:07 AM »
I don't have any idea what the Ukrainians have developed to make THEIR troops invisible. I do know that we likely paid for it.

While our own border continues to deteriorate.  Now IEDs and automatic weapons are the order of the day on the Texas border.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 01:45:41 AM »
either that or we gave them the technology. that would be my guess and it was probably classified technology from us that should have never been talked about. someone no doubt was trying to make the russians nervous and im sure it failed
I don't have any idea what the Ukrainians have developed to make THEIR troops invisible. I do know that we likely paid for it.

While our own border continues to deteriorate.  Now IEDs and automatic weapons are the order of the day on the Texas border.
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 02:50:32 AM »
yes it will but it would have 3 disadvantages that wouldnt allow it to be part of there everyday uniform. it doesnt breath, its noisy and well it reflects thermal imaging a  common flash light would turn you into a big light bulb. maybe you could sew some camo over it like you said but its going to be a sauna when it gets warm. id abouyt bet this thing bill is posting about is a breathable and quiet fabric

Obviously bare reflective mylar would show egregiously, which is why I suggested possibly sewing Mylar inside a BDU ...

The idea was to contain the heat, and would be usable during cooler weather...of which the Ukraine seems to have plenty..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)