Author Topic: Wake me up.  (Read 827 times)

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
Wake me up.
« on: December 17, 2023, 08:23:23 AM »
I got up this morning, did my usual get the morning going routine and then flipped the TV on in preparation to watch a football game (NFL).  It was still a little early for the game, but not really watching the TV, I hear this news show and it's all about crazy sounding events--domestic and worldly--and I thought it must be some grade B sadistic. ironic spoof movie.  So I actually looked at the screen and sure enough, it was tuned to Fox News and I thought--am I really awake?  Well the game is on now, so I'll settle for that, but I'm not sure what to do about the news.  Pinching myself doesn't help.
Swingem

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Wake me up.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 08:53:06 AM »
you lost me at waiting to watch a flipping football game.
blue lives matter

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 10:51:45 AM »
you lost me at waiting to watch a flipping football game.

i don't watch  football either.. but I have plenty of friends who do.   They are decent, sensible people so far as I can see.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 10:58:34 AM »
I'm watching the Cowboys play the Bill's right now. Got interested in football again after many years of lack of interest.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 11:48:56 AM »
I guess I've not watched pro football since Joe Namath was still playing. Looking at him in commercials on TV now makes me wonder how many years that was. Dang he looks old and worn out now.

I watch some college games. This season I have watched the Bama games and Georgia games and I think I watched Michigan and Ohio State play each other. I will watch the playoff games on January 1 and the championship game on January 8 and that's it.

I've never watched a single basketball game in my life and darn few more baseball games than that. I do not watch any professional sports PERIOD.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Casull

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »
Well, I watched up until Capernick.  Haven't since his putrid displays.
Aim small, miss small!!!
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 11:14:58 PM »
At least college football is about pride, school spirit, and the appearance of sportsmanship (but not on the field). The pros, meh, they're about the money.

Basketball, you can have it. I PLAYED almost every day while I was in New Orleans.  A true 8-hour day of shooting hoops (for fun) and you can get good - like Pete Marovich - good.  Play against the inner city's "best" and you get cocky good.  Stand beside the tallest of the NBA and you feel SMALL.

I enjoyed intermural softball with all the rudiments of baseball and girls in short shorts!  Nothing wrong with that.

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2023, 11:55:38 PM »
College football used to be pride and school spirit. Now its about scholarships, cars, and the NFL draft.  :)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 05:30:31 AM »
College football used to be pride and school spirit. Now its about scholarships, cars, and the NFL draft.  :)

Do college football players get paid?
Player advocates say the new exclusive broadcast deal signed by the Big Ten athletic conference is further evidence that college football is no longer amateurism. The Big Ten is set to make a lot of money.

Most payed players

Shedeur Sanders - $4.5M.
Arch Manning - $2.8M.
Caleb Williams - $2.6M.
Travis Hunter - $2.1M.
Drake Maye - $1.5M.
Evan Stewart - $1.4M.
Marvin Harrison Jr. - $1.3M.
Michael Penix Jr. - $1.2M
Sounds like Pro Football to me.

I quit pro football after Caperhick. Now I'm about through with college football as well. It has become (All about money)
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Dee

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 07:36:27 AM »

Do college football players get paid?
Player advocates say the new exclusive broadcast deal signed by the Big Ten athletic conference is further evidence that college football is no longer amateurism. The Big Ten is set to make a lot of money.

Most payed players

Shedeur Sanders - $4.5M.
Arch Manning - $2.8M.
Caleb Williams - $2.6M.
Travis Hunter - $2.1M.
Drake Maye - $1.5M.
Evan Stewart - $1.4M.
Marvin Harrison Jr. - $1.3M.
Michael Penix Jr. - $1.2M
Sounds like Pro Football to me.

I quit pro football after Caperhick. Now I'm about through with college football as well. It has become (All about money)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 11:38:54 PM »
and PAY. i wont watch ANY "rainbow" sport!!
blue lives matter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 01:31:59 AM »

Has college football not always been about scholarships?  All classes paid.  Cushy room and board.  All meals paid.  FREE college education.  Fame and follow-on fortune for those that "perform" well. 

Cars, clothes, and "pocket money" have always been wrong.  The alumnae though have always found ways to make "contributions" to the program under the table.  College alumnae's getting caught put the crosshairs of the NCAA "Death Penalty" to work.  Ask Southern Methodist University - iirc.

There were some (mostly disadvantaged) with nothing from the get-go.  Getting those players to sign commitment letters came through gifts and promises to players families from alumnae (I think). 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2023, 01:44:44 AM »
colleges give them all that crap because people watch it. quit watching and it cures everything. just saw on tv yesterday where the nfl players are demanding no more pre season games because they dont get enough time off!! there playing a (censored word) game for millions of dollars a year and there claiming there overworked!!! wonder how much theyd wine 50 feet in the air on a pole in a blizzard after working a 60 hour week. or with bullets flying at their squad car. or getting shot at in a country you never heard of 6 months ago for 30k a year.
blue lives matter

Offline Lost Oki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2023, 05:49:31 AM »
The following will tell you how much sports I watch.   
One day at work, on the way to lunch with a vendor (yes, free lunch) he asked who I thought was going to win the World Series.  My reply, "Don't know, who's playing...like maybe the Bears and the Suns?????.  He looked at me kinda funny and the HR Manager told him not to ask me about sports, he doesn't watch any of them. 
I have gone to a black powder shoot at Friendship IN., Have watched part of a Junior high girls softball game because a friend's daughter was playing.  Other than that, I spend my time in the work shop, reloading, shooting and fishing out of my kayak and some gardening.  I do watch Sci Fi shows and I watch Gutfeld.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 08:51:54 AM »
I haven't watched any National Felons League
related anything in years.
As long as the kneeling and phoney baloney
not-a-national-anthem is tolerated, I never will
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline magooch

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 02:56:41 PM »
Wait, I didn't mean this to be about football; it was meant to be about the insane state of the world we live in.  The news is just nuts.
Swingem

Offline Dee

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 03:56:30 PM »
Wait, I didn't mean this to be about football; it was meant to be about the insane state of the world we live in.  The news is just nuts.

LOL, when has any topic on gbo ever stayed on topic?

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2023, 04:59:43 PM »

LOL, when has any topic on gbo ever stayed on topic?

I remember one back in 2015.......I think!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.