Author Topic: Interesting anomaly..  (Read 154 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Interesting anomaly..
« on: January 02, 2024, 05:38:20 AM »
   Instead of a bridge over a cana lor river..try a road under a canal.  This culvert, built in 1823 is still in use today..

It goes under the Erie Canal, near Medina, NY.   I have built many a farm silo on farms around Medina.

https://exploringupstate.com/the-medina-culvert-medina-ny/
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline DDZ

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Interesting anomaly..
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 12:07:39 PM »
Quite amazing what men did in those years with not near the equipment that we have today. It was mostly all manual labor.  I've ridden many of Pa's rail trails, and its really something to see the history behind those railroad beds carved along rivers and through mountains. A couple of the tunnels I have frequented a number of times is the Kennerdale tunnel and the Rockland tunnel along the Allegheny river. Quite amazing how good of condition those tunnels are still in. In the late 1800's early 1900's workers were paid .13 cents an hour for their backbreaking labor clearing rock. In todays dollars that would amount to 3.50 an hour. the Kennerdale tunnel is 2400 feet long and the rockland tunnel is 2865 feet long.  These two tunnels are just a couple of the many rail tunnels that were carved through mountains for Pa's many railways at one time. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Interesting anomaly..
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 02:58:54 AM »
  I agree DDZ, Just look at some of that old construction..still working as good as the day it was completed !  I fund myself wondering why taxpayers
   don't start demanding better.

Up in Orchard Park, where the Buffalo Bills play football..the PTB are arranging for a NEW STADIUM !

The one they have,  was just built, back in 1973...so why in blazes do they need a new one? The colleseum in Rome is still standing after
   almost 2,000 years. (80 AD)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)