Author Topic: Just setting theb uninitiated straight..  (Read 145 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Just setting theb uninitiated straight..
« on: January 10, 2024, 11:19:09 AM »
  New York State is not all sidewalks and pavenment...we are rich in cattle too. Some beef, but primarily dairy.  The beef guys do well, since pastures here are rated at between 1 and 2 acres per cow.  So we have about 1.5 million all tolled.

https://www.nybeef.org/raising-beef/beef-production-in-new-york#:~:text=NEW%20YORK%20STATE%20HAS%20A,1%20MILLION%20HEAD%20OF%20CATTLE.

Then there are  the grain and other crops' 

What is the most lucrative food crop in New York?
Harvesting Cash: Here Are New York State's 11 Most Valuable Crops
1 - Hay and Haylage. $750.6 million per year.
2 - Corn. $635 million per year. ...
3 - Apples. $344.7 million per year. ...
4 - Soybeans. $205.2 million per year. ...
5 - Cabbage. $76.3 million per year. ...
6 - Wheat. $66.4 million per year. ...
7 - Sweet Corn. ...
8 - Squash. .

Which is why i say..  I'm not from New York...at least not THAT New York !  That new York is in the first photo... the last two ois where I am from.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Just settingthebnuninitiated straight..
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 12:16:56 PM »
As much as I would like to try NY City, just to say I did, the Finger Lake Region is where I actually have a great desire to visit.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Just settingthebnuninitiated straight..
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 12:46:46 PM »
As much as I would like to try NY City, just to say I did, the Finger Lake Region is where I actually have a great desire to visit.

The Finger Lakes is one of the best kept secrets for  vacationers.  I only went through NY City twice...and then not by choice.  I went through NYC when I shipped oiut toEeurope, and when I came home at discharge...that was enough..

I do recall one young, black trooper's remark as we passed by the Empire State building.. 
  He blurted out.." New York, New York...this M__________r so big, they had to name it twice, New York..New York.." ;) ;D

...But back to the Finger Lakes..  They are just east of where I live  and are involved in grape/wine production, due to the seasonable weather
    provided by the lakes.  Large hills between lakes are a great place for vineyards.  Many B&B rooms in the countryside.

I consider Letchworth state park (best state park in the USA) to be the beginning of the Finger lakes area.

Many attractions ..Glen Curtis museum, Corning Glass museum, etc.

Only part I don't bother with is Ithaca..home of Ithaca college and Cornell U., which comprise most of Tompkins county population.. usual college
     attitudes.

Watkins Glen at the foot of Seneca Lake is an attraction...along with it's fotmula 1auto races in the summer...  The Glen itself is worth the trip..

https://www.fingerlakes.org/attractions/watkins-glen-state-park

Wintert sports are great throughout, if you happen to like them.  Skiing..Ellicottville is about 12-14 miles SW my house..  It has perhaps, the best
   slopes in the east.  It has many other things going, year around, but it is a "tourist" town, and rather cheesy.  My son does much real estate photos there, since there are millionaire "cabins" there..

Those millionaires (both American and Canadians) don' bother us much though..they just take interstate highways to and from E-ville.

To set minds at ease...the NY residents outside NY City, do not have that "Don Rickles, wise guy" attitude...  They are like good old midwest people.

Just stay away from the southeast corner..

Below, see the slopes..and a "ski cabin" along with it's wine cellar.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)