Author Topic: Just A Car Guy  (Read 281 times)

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
Just A Car Guy
« on: January 17, 2024, 12:52:56 PM »
http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2023/

This site which is run by a former East Coast Magazine editor/producer is mostly auto based but a fair amount of it is just nostalgia or stuff you will not fine any where else.
On the right side is a list of years done and topcis if you want a specific item. 8)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Just A Car Guy
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 10:58:20 PM »
ill be liking this 4 pin hood super bee
blue lives matter

Offline DDZ

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 01:53:25 AM »
I loved the old mopars. Had a 70 road runner when I was still a late teen. Paid $900 for it. Had a 383, and 323 rears. Didn't have a lot out of the hole, but boy would it run at higher speeds, and a great highway cruiser. One of the best riding cars I ever had. A buddy of mine had a 70 challenger with a 340 that was built by a local mopar guy. Other kids at school had a 68 super bee 440, another had a 70 road runner that was a bit cleaner than mine.  Cousin had a 68 charger RT 440 6 pack. It was maroon and black, awesome looking car.  Often thought I'd like to own another road runner, but now those cars in nice condition are bringing anywhere from 50 to 100K.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 02:17:03 AM »
  INteresting how those early RVs, tried to make car and trailer coordinate..  That one must have been a bear to tow, being a wagon, instead of a trailer.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 03:17:19 AM »
I'd say it would be hard to control.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 03:34:09 AM »
first car at 16 was a 440gtx. when i enlisted a bought my first new car a 340 duster. after getting whipped by gm cars so much i bought a used 1970 454 ls6 chevelle. wasnt much that would take my lunch money in it. i had a number of novas camaros and corvettes through the years and other them my ls6 my favorite would be the 2 87 grand nationals i owned. not real fast by todays standards but quick and easier to make REAL FAST then anything in that time period. allways had jeeps so mopar was still in the yard. went to trade the 17 silverado on a new one and the wife saw a ram and fell in love with it. the pickups are her daily drivers so i told her if she wanted it its hers. then a couple months later i got a great deal on a 2011 6 speed 392 challenger with only 16k on it and like new. doesnt have the cool factor of the 70s but would whip anything i came up against back then including my chevelle. dont know what id buy for a truck today but it would be a double cab full sized ram, chev or gmc and a v8 would be mandatory. only exception is id look at the 6 cyl diesels still being made but dodge quit them and its only gm now. jeep? this will be my last one. the miles i put on it are so low it will last till i die. Car? i will have a challenger hellcat before i die. 
I loved the old mopars. Had a 70 road runner when I was still a late teen. Paid $900 for it. Had a 383, and 323 rears. Didn't have a lot out of the hole, but boy would it run at higher speeds, and a great highway cruiser. One of the best riding cars I ever had. A buddy of mine had a 70 challenger with a 340 that was built by a local mopar guy. Other kids at school had a 68 super bee 440, another had a 70 road runner that was a bit cleaner than mine.  Cousin had a 68 charger RT 440 6 pack. It was maroon and black, awesome looking car.  Often thought I'd like to own another road runner, but now those cars in nice condition are bringing anywhere from 50 to 100K.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 03:40:01 AM »
dads neighbor towed big campers in the 60s and 70s. hed buy caprice station wagons with a big bock. last one i remember was a 70 454. i know he had an older one, i think a 68 with a 427 and one 66 impala with a 396. back then pickups were rare and not really what youd want to take off cross country in. campers? as long as i remembered he had airstreams
  INteresting how those early RVs, tried to make car and trailer coordinate..  That one must have been a bear to tow, being a wagon, instead of a trailer.
blue lives matter

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 03:41:23 AM »
  Yes.. when I worked in Texas, painting tanks, towers, bridges etc., we used to use Ingersol-Rand 600CFM compressors.  For some reason, they were set up as wagons.  In the photo, one can see that it is meant to be accomodatred by a pintle hitch, rather trhan a ball.

I suppose they were designed primarily for "on site" use.  ..But we towed them from job to job, and they were a very sloppy fit..causing them to "wobble' dangerously.  We used a chain hooked far back on the tow pole, with a binder taking out the slack at the pintle hitch....which made the hook up more snug, getting rid of most of the wobble.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 05:10:08 AM »
First car I drove was Pop's 1950 Buick, next was a 1952 Packard, got my license in a 1947 Packard flat head 6;; which I borrowed from Pop till I was in college. Then I got a 51 Ford, a 42 Cadillac Hearse, back to the Packard, a 52 Cadillac Fleetwood and on and on till I graduated from college and bought a brand new 68 Chevy II Nova. Ah... The life of the American teenager back then.

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 07:09:31 AM »
Art Deco was the premium decor style then up to the early fifties.
Many such set-ups were created though only wealthy could afford them.

Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline credns

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 06:32:42 AM »
First car; 1939 Plymouth Coupe. Bought with cash money. Seller gave me a paint can full of spare headlight bulbs and eight used spare tires. Price $35.00 dollars..
Good deal. Ran good and looked good. I was hot stuff with that baby.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 11:56:35 AM »
First car; 1939 Plymouth Coupe. Bought with cash money. Seller gave me a paint can full of spare headlight bulbs and eight used spare tires. Price $35.00 dollars..
Good deal. Ran good and looked good. I was hot stuff with that baby.

Mikne was a '39 Olds business coupe.. 6 cyl