Author Topic: Ruger Wrangler 22LR  (Read 537 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Ruger Wrangler 22LR
« on: January 19, 2024, 07:21:35 AM »
An acquaintance is trying to get several
of the group to buy Ruger Wrangler 22
pistols ( which I don't really need) and I
don't know anything about them, or know
anybody who has one that I could trust
to ask about it
From what I understand, they're aluminum
with an aluminium cylinder but an all
steel barrel.
I've had alloy pistols before, but the cylinder
and barrel were steel with the frame being
alloy. Had a 357 Blackhawk years ago
with the alloy frame
Colt Agent with steel cylinder and barrel
with alloy frame

Just curious as to what might be cut
back as far as quality to enable them to
sell it for $200.00 in the era of thousand
dollar pistols. Never had or shot anything
with an aluminium cylinder ( that I can recall)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Ruger Wrangler 22LR
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 01:08:36 PM »
I have 3 of the Wranglers...mediocre shooters...with the ammo I have on hand...

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 01:26:44 PM »
Main frame is aluminum alloy
Grip frame is Zinc alloy
Barrel and cylinder are steel

They are illegal in Minn. as their construction qualifies them as Sat. Night Specials. :o

Offline Dee

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 02:15:46 PM »
Main frame is aluminum alloy
Grip frame is Zinc alloy
Barrel and cylinder are steel

They are illegal in Minn. as their construction qualifies them as Sat. Night Specials. :o

Got a link saying that?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 04:57:03 PM »

The Wrangler has an aluminum alloy mainframe, a zinc alloy grip frame while the cylinder and cold hammer-forged barrel are steel.

Ruger's .22 Wranglers - American Handgunner

Legality

The Wrangler is banned from sale in Minnesota due to the construction of the frame and grip. The frame is made from A380 aluminum alloy and the grip is made from cast zinc[4] which lets the gun have a lower price point, but conflicts with Minnesota's statues 624.712.

Subd. 4.Saturday night special pistol.

"Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other than an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:

(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or

(2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or

(3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

Since A380 aluminum alloy has an ultimate tensile strength of 310 MPa (45000 psi), and zinc has a melting point of 692.68 K (419.53 °C, 787.15 °F), the Wrangler violates the first and second points of the statue and makes it a "Saturday night special pistol." Minnesota's statues 624.716 makes it a misdemeanor for a federally licensed arms dealer to sell a "Saturday night special pistol" or for anyone to build whole or part of one.

624.716 SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIALS PROHIBITED; PENALTY. Any federally licensed firearms dealer who sells a Saturday night special pistol, or any person who manufactures or assembles a Saturday night special pistol in whole or in part, shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

If you think I am wrong, next time look it up.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 10:32:29 PM »
had one. it felt as cheap as it cost and the action was crap and so was accuracy. i wasnt impressed. put about 500 rounds through it and gave it to the neighbors boy.
blue lives matter

Offline Dee

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 11:46:17 PM »

The Wrangler has an aluminum alloy mainframe, a zinc alloy grip frame while the cylinder and cold hammer-forged barrel are steel.

Ruger's .22 Wranglers - American Handgunner

Legality

The Wrangler is banned from sale in Minnesota due to the construction of the frame and grip. The frame is made from A380 aluminum alloy and the grip is made from cast zinc[4] which lets the gun have a lower price point, but conflicts with Minnesota's statues 624.712.

Subd. 4.Saturday night special pistol.

"Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other than an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:

(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or

(2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or

(3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

Since A380 aluminum alloy has an ultimate tensile strength of 310 MPa (45000 psi), and zinc has a melting point of 692.68 K (419.53 °C, 787.15 °F), the Wrangler violates the first and second points of the statue and makes it a "Saturday night special pistol." Minnesota's statues 624.716 makes it a misdemeanor for a federally licensed arms dealer to sell a "Saturday night special pistol" or for anyone to build whole or part of one.

624.716 SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIALS PROHIBITED; PENALTY. Any federally licensed firearms dealer who sells a Saturday night special pistol, or any person who manufactures or assembles a Saturday night special pistol in whole or in part, shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

If you think I am wrong, next time look it up.

OK, thats what I thought. You don't. You're making up the ban on this pistol.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 03:28:49 AM »
  How does it compare with the Heritage revolver?  THey seem to be in direct competition.. 

https://heritagemfg.com/revolvers/heritage-rough-rider/6-inch

Years ago I had a Ruger single-six.  It seemed to be more accurate with .22 mags than with LRs.  I rather laid that to the fact that trying to suit both
   cartridges, with .22 mag being of a slightly larger diameter, perhaps then larger bore barrel didn't help the LRs any.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 05:01:49 AM »
had one. it felt as cheap as it cost and the action was crap and so was accuracy. i wasnt impressed. put about 500 rounds through it and gave it to the neighbors boy.

That's more or less what I had in mind.
They're a bit over 200 around here, and
a Single Six costs as much or more than
the stainless Super Blackhawk 44mag I
bought years ago.
They don't give things away or go in the
hole, so I figured there had to be shortcuts.
My BIL has a stainless Single Six convertible
he bought years ago, and it's a quality
instrument that shoots as well as any.
I don't really want one myself.
One of the bowhunting acquaintances is
trying to get the others to all go in and
get one of the wrangler.
Don't know, but I imagine that it'll be one
of those deals that if enough people get
one,  the 1st party will get a deep discount
of some fashion.
I still have my Mark II  Target that I can
shoot as well with a rest as most can
with a cheap 22 rifle if I feed it properly
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 05:59:47 AM »
I still have my Mark II  Target that I can
shoot as well with a rest as most can
with a cheap 22 rifle if I feed it properly

you already own a MUCH better gun
blue lives matter

Online JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 12:53:44 PM »
  How does it compare with the Heritage revolver?  THey seem to be in direct competition.. 
I have both. The Ruger is better made and more accurate, but both are fun to shoot.  I haven't put a lot of ammo through either so I can't speak to the durability of either but the Ruger looks to be better overall.  For what it's worth, my Heritage came with a 22WMR cylinder (not all do, but they are also available aftermarket) so it can be even more fun to shoot.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.