Author Topic: 2024 Garden Plans  (Read 1780 times)

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 2024 Garden Plans
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2024, 04:28:31 PM »
You're probably right Ranger and home grown maters are sure hard to beat along with fresh black eye peas.

I have been buying my seed from Willhite Seed for years now and haven't had any problems with them and they are a Texas based company. They have a good selection of heirloom seeds according to their website.
wtxbadger

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2024, 02:11:08 AM »
You're probably right Ranger and home grown maters are sure hard to beat along with fresh black eye peas. . . .

I like to slice maters and and onions thin and
you make a "sandwich "
Lay an onion slice on a plate.
S&P
Tomato slice on top of that
S&P
Onion slice on top
S&P
Etc. to make a stack. Put in the
refrigerator and let it "marinate "
A goodly chunk of cornbread, or
even a couple of slices of light bread
and that's almost a dessert to me.

That's from some loozeeanna cook
or a book or something. I wish I
could claim to be the daddy of that,
but I cannot
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2024, 01:50:50 PM »
Tomatoes are now producing ripe fruit abundantly.
Goatbag Tomato is producing the large tomatoes I have ever grown, picked two soft ball size and one even bigger is still green and growing.
Gave a dozen to relatives at a family gather last weekend and they were very pleasted.

Black Beauty, is producing many fruit while it was the first to show fruit they take the very longest to fully ripen.
Dumped six large ones in he compost heap today as the other half stores to tightly bunched and does not use the one susceptible to going bad soones like she should.
In the past I would treat my tomaoes with  bio-fungicide into Sept. but I no longer have the desire to play nurse maid for them into early Oct. and while I will pick of bad looking leaf stems, when they go belly-up is of little concern to me this year.(and actually for a fair number of years in reality, but old habits die hard)

Chiles are have been mostly pulled as with two exceptions they were one and done but I have a freezer full of those from past years.
Potatoes so far have been mediocre up North and lousy down South but most are still green and growing.
Onions were a great disappointment.
A lot of golf ball size and smaller.

Squash is going bonkers but so far only one fruit, I hope enough get ripe before frost but , IF, one can believe NWS long range forecast, it will be a warm September.