Author Topic: 2024 Garden Plans  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
2024 Garden Plans
« on: February 12, 2024, 05:22:21 PM »
OK since no one else  has started a new one for this year I'll do it for ya.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 2024 Garden Plans
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 11:35:33 PM »
32°F here right now.
Still haven't seen any seed put
out for sale yet.
I plan on trying it again despite
all the failures of last year and
before.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 12:41:43 AM »
planted onion and garlic last fall and thats it for this year. to hard for me to bend down to deal with a garden and it ends up im growing more weeds than food
blue lives matter
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 01:52:27 AM »
  I used to plant a large garden...but now, wear and tear on the old body...limits the size a bit.  My favorite is tomatoes..  At one time I planted
   22 varieties...just a couple plants of each of course.

I will plant some other things..perhaps radishes, onions & zucchini..but tomatoes remain my favorite. I will plant an early, a beefsteak and  some of
   the small, sweet variety...plant near my back door..so when ripe, I can snatch a couple as I walk by.

I was very impressed with the "Goliath" series, introduced by Totally Tomatoes.  Totally Tomatoes used to be located near Augusta, GA, but a few
     years ago, moved (or was sold to) Randolph, Wisconsin.  Plus they have a great variety of seeds othewr than tomato.

Here is the TT website and catalog:      https://www.totallytomato.com/ecatalogs

Open catalogh:   https://cdn.commercev3.net/cdn.totallytomato.com/downloads/2024TTcatalog.pdf
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 02:50:54 AM »
planted onion and garlic last fall and thats it for this year. to hard for me to bend down to deal with a garden and it ends up im growing more weeds than food

Make up some suitable containers or a
couple of raised beds. That's what the
majority of mine is now. I haven't made
any substantial rows in the ground for
about 5+ years now. Those last years
was shovel and hoe and hand work.
Doesn't have to be elaborate like a
swiss watch. Dee is using old empty
mineral tubs that most would toss
or somebody would use for dog bowls
I have a dozen or so old plumbing
sinks and a raised bed. BIL used halved
plastic drums.
Sure saves the back and knees
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 05:12:01 AM »

Make up some suitable containers or a
couple of raised beds. That's what the
majority of mine is now. I haven't made
any substantial rows in the ground for
about 5+ years now. Those last years
was shovel and hoe and hand work.
Doesn't have to be elaborate like a
swiss watch. Dee is using old empty
mineral tubs that most would toss
or somebody would use for dog bowls
I have a dozen or so old plumbing
sinks and a raised bed. BIL used halved
plastic drums.
Sure saves the back and knees

I don't use much garlic...but if I need some, Chappy lives just down the road, raises garlic and has a garlic roadside stand each summer.

I had backed off from a garden and gave my rototillelr to a grandson... but I should have known better.  I will put my garden in the regular place,
  but till it by hand..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline JBinMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 06:57:11 AM »

I don't use much garlic...but if I need some, Chappy lives just down the road, raises garlic and has a garlic roadside stand each summer.

I had backed off from a garden and gave my rototillelr to a grandson... but I should have known better.  I will put my garden in the regular place,
  but till it by hand..

Might think about giving that grandson a call to come help out gramps. ;)

----------------------------------
I built 1 double raised bed out of one barrel & 2 singles out of another barrel last year. I think I am going to make about 5-6 more double barrel doubles this Spring & completely get rid of the ground beds. I already have used 4 wooden raised beds but the plastic barrel ones should last longer I am thinking. I have got about 6 years out of the wooden box ones, so the barrel ones should last much longer.

I paint them brown with a rattle can. Chose brown paint for the coating. Helps with the keeping the soil in the barrels warm. I drill holes in the bottom for drainage & then I cover the holes with landscaping cloth , some gravel on top & then the dirt.
I have some ideas about how to salvage & re-use the drainage water, but still pondering on a good method for that.

Anyway, I will return with other garden plans later on when I get a better idea of what we are going to start with.

Here is a pic of an unpainted double barrel one ( came back 4-5 times trying to turn the pic the right way with no success. ):

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 08:05:20 AM »
Well with the garden, until yesterday, snow free and while not frost free, very shallow frost, I had considered taking a grub hoe, breaking the surface and burying debris still lying on the surface.
The ground was quite dry, so no mud.
Now.
There is three inches of snow on the garden and a couple of days of normal February weather followed by temp. well above February norms.
Ground will be sloppy again and even with forties in the forecast, I am not going to slop around in a muddy garden.

I have several garden catalogs, not the ones that I used to get every year, twenty years ago, as so many have been bought out and the new owners are lousy compared to what they once were.
I am considering digging out one of those mini-greenhouse seed starting set-ups I bought 30 years ago and have not used in 28 , and starting some plants indoors.
As is, buying garden shop tomatoes works just fine, and I even have enough volunteers each summer I have to weed most out, but while the bright eyed and bushy-tailed desire to garden I had 30 years ago is withering away, the urge to do/try what I once did is re-emerging.

I planted a lot of corn last summer for the first time in quite some years, and enjoyed it, but (and I am amazed at the number of tomatoes some persons plant at a garden forum I visit (Ironglow, you would fit right in) I have cut way down on the tomatoes I plant.

The -- OH, I have never grown this type before -- spark did have me ending up with six planted and two volunteers, but , for me , a dozen much less dozens as some ladys plant, is bizarre and take a lot of space and time to take care of.
One year at home in Ma's garden I had a curved row of a dozen or so, and back then had the gumption to maintain them late in the fall until temps. in  the low twenties made if impossible .
I covered the entire row with old sheets and put charcoal burners on the ground at intervals to beat the frost.

While I still will cover some, including chile peppers, for a bit,  in the fall, the ,  you can kill them but you will never defeat me,  attitude  towards fall weather is not there any more.
Although, we do not eat like we used to , frozen chiles years old in the freezer,  and the size of the family to consume vegetable is down to a handful.
Still old habits die hard  and after last summers bountiful gardens, I have glimmer of gardening desire that is brighter than it has been for a bit.

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 01:45:30 PM »
My dad planted 98 tomato plants one year for a family of four.  Mom canned lots of juice and used a few in canned soup.  We ate lots of fresh tomatoes and gave away a few.

I think my wife and i planted one in a large flower pot about 18 years ago.
Funny Funny x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 07:13:06 AM »
Dang weather is gonna have to
get right before I can do anything.
Supposed to be up in the 70's
( so they say) but frost covered
everything this AM right at sunup.
I'm not grooving on these arctic
fronts at all.
If I wanted to be cold, I'd have
moved to Alaska like I wanted
to in my 20's
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .
Funny Funny x 1 View List

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 01:09:07 PM »
I dug my seed box out of the increasingly clutter pile the basement is becoming.

I used far more varieties and complete packets of corn seed last year than I had thought, so, I have started ordering new seed corn packets.
I have two of the quarter pound size at leat one-half full that are from 2011 and I am not sure if I should just give them to the squirrels or plant and see what happen.

This year was one of the rare ones I did not put old seeds in the freezer, which keeps them good a lot longer

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 01:17:45 PM »
If I were only half the gardener my grandfather was...

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 03:14:11 PM »
HaHa
Completely forgot this was here  :D
 :D  :D  :D  :D

I have tomatoes up
I have greens up
I have other stuff planted
and I'm watching and waiting

Good Luck to everyone with
dirty hands  :D
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 05:39:48 PM »
I have onion sets in the dirt and they are starting to come up. I'll eat them as green onions. I have 3 more packages of sets. I will spread out the planting so they'll come in at different times.

I do plan to have some tomato plants and pepper and that's all I'll plant.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2024, 09:24:33 AM »
I sent out my last order for Corn last night to Shumway.
Ordered:
Golden Bantam
Golden Jubilee
Golden Queen
Iochief
NK199
Peaches and Cream

Add this to the Zanadoo, Tuxana, Martian Jewel, Silver Queen, and Argent I had already recieved I have enough sweet corn to last a few years.
I will, as always, also plant some field corn but I think I may reduce my plot sizes to 4 by 4.
That way I can , spaced one-foot apart, plant 25 plants in each plot. That should be enough for eating and giving away, assuming no bug/vermin problems.

I will double or may triple seed each spot, so I can thin if I so choose.
I have not determined if I will spend money on new seed potatoes this year but probably will get a few.

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2024, 04:50:49 PM »
Every thing in the post above this one is now in the ground.
Planting of three of those in my North garden a month ago for some reason failed 100 percent, I have had that in the past down South but never up here.
Not sure why but not one plant came up -  so I replanted a week ago and today I see some comng out of the ground.

Down South I put in 8 plots approx. 4 by 4 plus or minus six inches, and will head home for doctor visit Monday tomorrow so I will see how they are doing.
My potatoes are now popping out of the mulch and Potato Beetles are already here.
Fortunately, every thing is out of sync. so the PBs rather than coming when my potato patch is green jungle and finding them, and especially their eggs is truly hard, on Potato plants only 3 to 6 inches tall bugs are eady to find and squish and eggs are just as easy to find and smoosh.

Onions are taking off as are radishes, while lettuce, spinach and carrots are finally showing up.
Tomatoes and Chiles look very healthy but I proably should dowse them with a bio-fungicide as some look like they have leaf curl.

Broccoli and cauliflower plants look very good, especially the cauliflower.
We have had a lot of rain in good showers not harmful dowses, so ground is in good shape after last years drought. 8)

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2024, 12:18:15 AM »
Managed to get a few beans poking
up through the dirt.
Planted some salvaged cantaloupe
seeds from a melon a neighbor
thoughtfully gifted me. Those are
up.
I guess the wide swings in temperature
and wild weather took it's toll on
the few greens I managed to get up.
They look poorly.
Hopefully the tomatoes will yield a
few to eat. I'd really like to make
enough to put up and to share.
I made oodles of seedlings the
2nd string, and passed out some
to each closest neighbor.

We shall see.  . . .
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2024, 02:30:35 PM »
Just received a disturbing message.
The meat of it is that there are some
cities that are working on or contemplating
banning residents from having/planting
vegetable gardens using building codes
to restrict gardening.
I wouldn't doubt it at all.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2024, 05:59:59 PM »
Won't affect me I'm not even close to a city much less in one. But the one closest to me has a garden area they let folks come and plant stuff and grow it there. They have an area they let folks who grow come and sell in on Saturday also.

No zoning laws of any kind where I live. I am surrounded by so many trees the only way they'd know I had a garden is to fly over me and get close. My garden is under a big pecan tree.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2024, 02:04:35 AM »
Probably won't happen during any
of the member's lifetime, or at
the more remote locations, but
I think about the young people
and the kids of today.
Things are already way more restrictive
in this region as far as hunting and
fishing more so than when I was
a kid.
There's already an effort to make
rural people dependent upon gubmint
water facilities. A friend was having
a new well dug a few years ago, and
the driller was talking about that it
wouldn't be long until the gubmint
people nationwide would be installing
meters on water wells and billing
people for taking water from the ground.
It's already illegal in some regions to
utilize a rain water collection system.
IMO it's like gun restrictions. Everybody
everywhere should be concerned regardless
of where you live
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2024, 04:09:46 AM »
  I had a bunch of little jobs to do yesterday, and one of them was to till down the weeds in the garden that I decided to "fallow" this year.

Letting a garden spot lay fallow helps restore the soil’s natural nutrient balance. Giving the land a rest can also get rid of crop pests, since they don’t have anything to munch on.

Only thing planted in it, was garlic that was planted last fall and that soon will be dug, and I did plant one hill of squash in it.

Tilling the weeds down will get them to "compost" out, to feed next year's plants.

DM
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2024, 03:53:07 PM »
Been a while since anyone's posted here and wondering how everyone's gardening is going. Not having much luck with tomatoes this season, picked a few but that's about it. Planted pink eye purple hull peas a couple of weeks ago and made a stand so fingers crossed on that.

How is everyone else doing on their gardens?
wtxbadger

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2024, 04:16:57 PM »
Well in one of the  annoyingly odd things, I planted three plot of corn up North only part of one really came up, so approx. 3 weeks ago I filled in with the same seeds.
Those came approx 80 percent.
It was not dry or really cold when I planted two months ago, but I had the same thing in my South garden which has better soil.
Sdly I have not been down there and am not sure if I will fill-in replant this late in the year.

My tomatoes have finally taken off, after pretty much pouting till ten days ago but then we have not had truly summer warm nights this year until recently.
Sadly the Chiles are rather pathetic, especiallly sad as last year they were gonzo.
They all came from a green house in Hugo , Mn and about one-half had yellow lower leaves with black spots.
I treated them with bio-fungicide but while I will get peppers, probably just enough for a pot or two chilli the way it looks now.

Potato bugs made the mistake of showing early when the potatoes were small so it was easy to find them and their eggs; curshed the bastards and smushed their eggs.
Went out today and did find a few later ones so I sent them to beetle hell.

As just an after thought I threw some radishes, sunflowers and a planted a few squash between the outer berm and the corn plots.
Heck, that is turning into a jungle with squash vine, a lot of the sunflowers are up, Cleome , a self seeding tall flower I always let some come up there, and volunteer tomatoes.
Thinned it out yesterday so now you see daylight through what was a green wall.
Potatoe onions, shallots, and set onions are doing real well; carrot have shown up finally.

Warmer , wet weather we have had he past two weeks have made a huge difference.  8)
Heading down to the South garden tomorrow and am a bit anxious as to what I will find.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2024, 04:51:56 PM »
I'm getting lots of peppers, bell, banana and cow horn and a few tomatoes. My third planting of onions seems to be coming along well but are not yet ready. I need to plant the last bag of sets soon before they go bad in the fridge.

That's all I've planted this year.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2024, 01:39:05 PM »
A good many cherry tomatoes, and the
only pepper fell victim to an unknown
varmint
 Got a few yard long green beans up
and producing. None ready for harvest
which is how I measure success
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2024, 08:23:40 PM »
As things go, the harder you try the worser it gets, often.

Tomatoes;
They are now doing very well indeed; I picked three good looking big beef type yesterday.
My Black Beauties are getting larger and increasing in number but as they were the first fruit to show up, it is taking a long time for them to ripen.
I looked online as to what ripe ones look like and they are not there yet.

With the humid but very warm weather, all 20 tomato plants are setting fruit.
Some large unripe ones and some just starting out.
The chiles planted between the tomatoes are mostly pfft, one fruit, - i.e. one and done - so I will pull most of them and give the tomatoes more breathing space.

Went out today and was digging weeds with a weeder; I had put down Crabgrass killer and preventer, but not enough.
Ground was dryer , and Crabgrass were in patches, so if I did not stick the weeder in deeply and pry, I was leaving roots in the ground.

Stopped and went over to the Benton , County fair; Sharon can no longer handle walking around fair grounds , so she went over to play Bingo while I wandered aound.
I still go mainly for the farm tractors, thos HUGE ones still impress me, DNR building (getting worse every year) a pen full of different ducks with NO id., and Corn Dogs, still one of the FEW food items not asininely expensive.
$9 for a foot long Corn Dog. (Thinking about it is making me hungry)

I joined Sharon at the Bingo Hall, where 40-30 years ago I usually came out bucks ahead, but no more, when they announced they were shutting down a little after 8 P.M. due to a bad weather coming through.
We got to our car before hard rain hit, and the tornado sirens were blowing.
It all blew through in approx. 45 minutes and a lot of people stayed at the fair.

Got home to no power, AND, my corn which had been devastated by an earlier storm , is now kaput.
By the grace of God, the yard table umbrella that Sharon had opened for some reason, was stopped by the rose bushes or would have been a long ways away
Power came back on at 12:30 A.M. and as lights and other doo-dads came back on woke me up in the .down stairs chairs I had fallen asleep in.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2024, 03:33:12 PM »
Most of what I had is dried out and
toasty from the string of 100° + days.
It's as if I put the plants in a microwave
oven
Had a pop up rain storm earlier, and I'll
probably plant the rest of my seed and
try for some fall harvest
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2024, 03:58:53 PM »
Been gardening for forty years now but the last couple have not been all that great. Between trying to keep the deer out of the garden and fighting blight on the tomato plants I'm thinking my gardening days are coming to an end. Had a good stand of black eye peas and the Axis deer broke through the fence and ate them down to the dirt a few weeks ago and munched on the tomato plants as well. Pretty much a zero harvest this year and a waste of water with no results. Might change my mind next spring but for now I'm thinking about calling it done.
wtxbadger

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2024, 02:00:54 AM »
Strawberries came in early and gone since June. 2 better boys and 2 early girls producing tomatoes. Local farmer down the road I buy tomatoes for my kids stand and sauce for the freezer at a reasonable price. Nice and cool today, think I’ll stoke the grill this afternoon and take the pontoon for a stroll when the wife and kids wake up.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2024, 02:59:08 AM »
Been gardening for forty years now but the last couple have not been all that great. Between trying to keep the deer out of the garden and fighting blight on the tomato plants I'm thinking my gardening days are coming to an end. Had a good stand of black eye peas and the Axis deer broke through the fence and ate them down to the dirt a few weeks ago and munched on the tomato plants as well. Pretty much a zero harvest this year and a waste of water with no results. Might change my mind next spring but for now I'm thinking about calling it done.

Yeah
You'll be at it again just like me.
If it wasn't for how good a home
grown tomato tastes, I probably
would quit.
If I had a quarter for every time I
said "NO MORE NO MORE " I'd
probably have $5.75

My disappointment is the crappy
seed that's available for this zone.
I'm going to have a discussion with
a young relative that I started down
the vegetable garden path years ago.
They'll know where to get me the
heirloom seed I want for this zone.
I sure would like to be able to grow
some good squash again.
I can put away some squash as a
meal with a piece of cornbread.
I don't think I'll ever try onions again.
They're too cheap here in the barrio
at all these mex stores
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .