Author Topic: who is shooting in the postal match and what you shooting?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
who is shooting in the postal match and what you shooting?
« on: March 25, 2004, 03:53:17 PM »
just wondered what you are shooting in this postal match.anyone been out there yet shooting.i havnt been at a range yet but soon.the weather is starting to turn around now.all the snow is gone and its starting to get warmer.i did shoot two more crows the other day with my 223.

i plan on shooting my 223,and the 30-30 this time.i might try my new old H@R rifle with the 357mag barrel or the 308x44mag wildcat barrel.those two need scopes.

did anyone try to get one of those 357mag barrels that nef has or had?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
who is shooting in the postal match and wha
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 04:06:16 PM »
Jeff, I have one at the factory getting a .357 Mag barrel fitted to it now....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline vick

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 07:02:34 PM »
Please forgive my ignorance, can someone fill me in on the info for the postal match.  I missed the post.  I would like to shoot in it.  I have a .308 Survivor I would like to put through the paces.  Depending on the guidelines I might try my .357 max.

P.S. disregard the info request, I found the post
Fear is but a stepping stone on the foot path to Glory.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 08:58:51 PM »
I may try three.. My Max and Mag and maybe my 22LR may even enter the .243 and .38-55. I've been working on the Max project and I'm hoping it'll be a contender. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 10:35:17 PM »
I'll be shooting my 357 Max 'scout' project and maybe my BC.

Ian

P.S.  
Bob, your Handi will never be a contender... those are made by Thompson Center.  Man... other people's kids... no matter how you try they just never learn.  :grin:  :grin:
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 01:43:45 AM »
223 Ultra Varmint at 100 yards and the 357 max at 50 yards.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 03:37:37 AM »
I've got the 6-18x50mm bushnell target scope mounted on the sportster mag, Harris 1A2-BR bipod attached, and Scruffy 'V' block ready for the rear stock, and a few boxes of Win silver box and Win black box supremes.   8)

All I need are the index cards, the range to dry up, and the wind to die down...  :evil:

Then hopefully I'll pull the 6-18x50 scope off the sportster mag and put it on the sportster 22 (non mag) and shoot some cards with CCI stingers and Remington 22 high velocity shorts.  The 22 non mag sportster seems to like the lighter 22 rimfire bullets.

Rimfire only for me this time.  :wink:  Gotta get rid of the flinch from shooting turkey loads somehow....  :?

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 04:04:19 AM »
Ultra Varmit in .223 with Springfield Armory 4-16X56mm scope.

I probably won't get my 45-70 barrel in time.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline jeff223

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 04:09:56 AM »
vick the rules for the postal match are listed on the nef/h@r misc forum.the second one down

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
This will be my first match
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 04:50:27 AM »
If i can get some good rounds developed, I will shoot my .357 max, my 30-30, and my 20 ga Tracker II with slugs.  I've seen Jeff's 223 targets before. That barrel is bound to be 99 yards long :shock:  cause that thing can print!
  I'm not conceding defeat, but I know my current offerings would not measure up.

RV
no x now!

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 05:03:10 AM »
RV, you won't beat him if you don't shoot :)

Offline student

Try, Try, Again
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 05:28:57 AM »
I may regret saying this, but I will be trying to shoot decent (?) cards in .223, .243, .308, and maybe 20 ga slug.  I don't know how far I will get, but I am very interested in getting all of these to shoot.

I shot about a .75 inch group with my .223 last year, and while not really a contender for the contest, it made ME happy!  I'd like to try the same with my new barrels.

Student

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 06:00:09 AM »
:? I get no respect :wink: I bet with some Krylon and Duct tape I can make it a contendea. :-D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 06:36:48 AM »
I'll be sending in a card for just my 308 this year...I don't have any other barrels yet...but next year..... :lol:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 02:07:23 PM »
i went out and bought enough post cards to enter every caliber ever made. my barrel inventory is a bit more limited though. i've been casting and sorting bullets for 357 magnum, 30-06, 22 hornet, 45-70, 30-30 loads. i'll be happy if i can get the 357 shooting well at 50 yards and the 30-06 at 100 yards.

picked up a simmons PRO-50 scope and a fistful of the scope rails. the scope is 6.5 x 18? or so, never had a simmons, always had bausch & lomb or meade optics that were big bucks, this scope was $120 delivered. anyone have any experience with these simmons ?
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 02:24:24 PM »
Scattergunner, where did you get the "fistful" of scope rails and how much were they? I need 3 more and was planning on ordering 3 "Ultra" rails from H&R for about $13.00 each, the Ultra rails are 6" long instead of 5" long for the Handirifle rails. They each are drilled correctly to fit right onto the H&R barrels and they each have numerous cross cuts to allow many different ring locations for better scope placement. Are the ones you got available drilled for the H&R barrels?  Thanks for the info....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2004, 02:56:04 PM »
msp - i ordered 7 rails from NEF and paid their going rate. they are all the standard rails, i didnt know about the longer ultra's until don(?) at NEF told me about them. my simmons fits good with the standard rails.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2004, 03:42:41 PM »
Thanks Scattergunner, This is why I am in need of scope rails, a happy story. I was looking for a Tracker I and wanted to build up a smoothbore deer shotgun with sights. After looking around I finally screwed up my courage enough to go to my local gunsmith and to try to beg and plead him to drill and tap both my 24" smoothbore 12 gauge barrel with screw in chokes and my Tracker II 12 gauge barrel for scope rails. Knowing he has in the past turned guys down for similar procedures off I went, barrels in hand but without much hope in my heart. After a time with a dial micrometer and looking over my barrels and the H&R scope rail I had taken off one of my Sportsters and brought along with the 6/48 screws that it comes with, measuring everything again, looking off into the distance, measuring everything again, we went out for a cup of coffee. When we got back he measured everything again, said me would probably have to file a couple of thousands off the bottom of the mounting screws and that he would call me when they were ready!!! Also I am instructed to mount the scope rails with a high shear epoxy in addition to the screws, he is not worried about chamber strength but more so of the scope shearing off.  Mounted correctly it is more than adequate and safe. Boy am I happy!!! Now I need 3 more (long/Ultra) scope rails to complete my projects. The last rail will go onto, hold your breath! a .35 Whelen barrel I got from another Forum member, Thanks Montanan!!. My other project is my short barreled .280 Remington woods rifle, Thanks Lik2hunt!!, ...Like is good, because of God, and don't forget it....<><.... :grin: (by the way my gunsmith is a great guy, a Christian and very active in his church!!)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2004, 05:06:12 PM »
msp -

that's one story with a good ending.

i had some trouble with the scope mounts a few years back. with my 357 magnum barrel everything was fine, life was good. but, those small flathead screws would shear or weaken under recoil on the bigger cartridges, especially on 45-70. the scope would fall off in the gun case, or just break at the worst time. i shot my handi guns in an information vaccuum, never knew there was such good resources as the NEF forum, or others like this one until last year, so i solved problems with what i had near to me. i ended up using a thermal cure silver epoxy to bond the rail to the barrel, the silver epoxy was a freebie from work, i smeared it on the barrel, screwed on the rail, wiped off the excess and heated the barrel to 180 degrees F for two or three hours. never lost another scope rail ! a heat gun and pliers can be used to remove the rail if need be.

going bobwhite hunting on monday morning, dad, my cousin gary and i will down in punta gorda, florida at ryal game farm. i'll be using my 410 handi barrel for the first time. hope to fill a basket with quail !

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »
One card done. 2 more to get done. 20 ga trackerII, and the 30-30.
no x now!

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2004, 05:30:06 AM »
I may not even get to shoot in it.  H&R still has my frame :(

On the other hand...... I may get it back in time to enter both a .223 AND a 45-70 :eek:

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2004, 06:08:56 AM »
i'm hoping to shoot my 357 with cast bullets and the brandy-new 243 ultra varminter.

sg

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2004, 12:01:27 PM »
223 ultra (white box ammo , don't got dies yet  :( ) and trying to get the 30-06 to shoot good with handloads but just can't get it to shoot tight might just have to use hornadys they  group good , about a half inch to an inch.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline mitchell

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2004, 12:03:54 PM »
oh yeah and 12ga ultra , its shootin 1 hole at 50yards

Offline JPH45

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2004, 12:16:04 PM »
Count me in with a 357 Max and 44 for the pistol calibers, I doubt that I will complete in the rifle catagory, I don't have anything yet that will shoot under 2 moa at 100 yards (the 30-30 or 45-70) and I am sure that is not competitive. But don't worry Jeff, one of these days I am going to blow the stocks off that 223 you've got :grin:
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2004, 12:29:46 PM »
I finally got a .22 lr card I'm not ashamed of, if not one I'm proud of. I'm in on that. Brownell's tells me they have shipped the parts for the Max so I may make that. .45-70 and .25-06 remain to be seen.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline mitchell

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2004, 04:02:49 AM »
hey what do you all think about us all putting a buck in our postal match envelopes? if 20 people shoot the match thats $20 for wlscott for doing the scoring ?

tell me if you guys will do it caz if your not i'm giving $10

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2004, 07:24:43 AM »
Quote from: mitchell
hey what do you all think about us all putting a buck in our postal match envelopes? if 20 people shoot the match thats $20 for wlscott for doing the scoring ?

tell me if you guys will do it caz if your not i'm giving $10

Did that with the card I mailed, and plan on doing it with every card entered.
           vANCe
no x now!