Author Topic: Days In A Month  (Read 379 times)

Offline moamonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
Days In A Month
« on: March 01, 2024, 08:53:42 AM »
Not real smart in this area, so I’m sure someone here’ll be ready to help. My question: can’t we take a day away from two months with 31 days and give them to February? That way those two sacrificing months would have 30 days and February would have 30 days. On leap year, February would get 31 days like some other months. It should all still work out at the end of the year, right?

Too much time on my hands? That’ll probably be your first thought.

Online Casull

Re: Days In A Month
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 09:38:18 AM »
Yeah, it'd work, but why do it?
Aim small, miss small!!!

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 09:51:45 AM »
Read the history of the Calendar and it will be explained; Our calendar is also connected to the lunar calendar.

Offline moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 10:42:55 AM »
“Our calendar is also connected to the lunar calendar”.

I understand that, but who’d know. And there wouldn’t be that one month out of the year with a weird 28 days.

Oh No! Tell me DEI ain’t gettin to me! I’ll stop right here.

Online Casull

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 11:18:17 AM »
Read the history of the Calendar and it will be explained; Our calendar is also connected to the lunar calendar.

If that were really the case, we would have 13 months of 28 days each.  13 x 28 = 364  Would have to account for the extra 1.25 days though.
Aim small, miss small!!!
Like Like x 1 View List

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 12:51:24 PM »

If that were really the case, we would have 13 months of 28 days each.  13 x 28 = 364  Would have to account for the extra 1.25 days though.
Months length, location and names are/were called what they are due to Lunar cycle,  their location and historic people changing them as they chose as the calendar changed over the millenia.

Online Casull

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 01:23:36 PM »
The lunar cycle is 28 days, as far as I know.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 01:56:40 PM »
The lunar cycle is 28 days, as far as I know.
Lunar cycle is 29 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 2.9 seconds -- one synodic month.

The synodic month, or complete cycle of phases of the Moon as seen from Earth, averages 29.530588 mean solar days in length (i.e., 29 days 12 hours 44 minutes 2.9 seconds); because of perturbations in the Moon’s orbit, the lengths of all astronomical months vary slightly. The sidereal month is the time needed for the Moon to return to the same place against the background of the stars, 27.321661 days (i.e., 27 days 7 hours 43 minutes 12 seconds); the difference between synodic and sidereal lengths is due to the orbital movement of the Earth–Moon system around the Sun.

The tropical month, 27.321582 days (i.e., 27 days 7 hours 43 minutes 5 seconds), only 7 seconds shorter than the sidereal month, is the time between passages of the Moon through the same celestial longitude. The draconic, or nodical, month of 27.212220 days (i.e., 27 days 5 hours 5 minutes 35.8 seconds) is the time between the Moon’s passages through the same node, or intersection of its orbit with the ecliptic, the apparent pathway of the Sun.
As a calendrical period, the month is derived from the lunation—i.e., the time elapsing between successive new moons (or other phases of the moon).

A total of 12 lunations amounts to 354 days and is, roughly, a year. A period of 12 lunations was therefore used by some primitive peoples to make their calendrical year. As is obvious, the lunar-based year (and a calendar derived from it) cannot be accurately correlated with a solar-based year, and the month’s continued use in the Gregorian calendar of modern times is merely a recognition of its convenience as a calendar division .

Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 11:47:19 PM »
im retired and the only time i look at a calender is to see when i have a doctors appointment. most days dont even know what day of the week it is. if the wife doesnt get up for work its saturday. they could get rid of months altogether and just use day 1 through day 365
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 03:04:41 AM »
  I once worked for a calendar factory..but I got fired..   I thought that was unfair..since I only took one day off !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2024, 04:15:29 PM »
This is all too much for my tired old brain to waste it's precious time on. I find it hard to keep up with what day of the week it is. Remembering where I left my false teeth is even difficult. I walk like Joe Biden, and look even worse. I don't care about that leap thing.
I know I can't leap anymore, but stumble well!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.
Funny Funny x 1 View List

Offline moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2024, 03:59:40 AM »
Loud says, “they could get rid of months altogether and just use day 1 through day 365”.

And that’d be what I’m talking about. Does the year really, reasonably, need to be broken up in months of different numbers of days? As long as they meet the 365 day criteria months could be as long or short as wanted.

I’m calling my congressman!
Sad Sad x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2024, 05:21:00 AM »
It's so the politicians will have
some kind of something to "show"
that they've "actually" done something
to earn their paycheck.
It's like here where long time long
established streets get their names
changed to appease the whiners,
surely not for the benefit of the businesses
and mail recipients along those streets
that might have boxes of preprinted
business forms and brochures, and
residents who might have their mail
diverted from the address no longer
existing,  etc. etc.
How many people will be inconvenienced
or have their lives turned into a mess
by having their pay periods, billing
statements, payment due dates, etc.
shifted around?

If anything, they need to pick one
schedule or the other for daylight
savings time, and leave it that way
for eternity and stop flopping back
and forth twice yearly.
That's where the real butt pain is

IMO there's already way too many
gubmint commitees now as it is
frittering away scarce tax dollars and
giving it away to border jumpers and
professional welfare moms
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)