Author Topic: The invasion  (Read 296 times)

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
The invasion
« on: March 06, 2024, 08:04:30 AM »
Yesterday I witnessed an event that left me somewhat dumbfounded.  I live in the state of Washington and at this time of the year there is a fish event where the smelt (a small migratory fish) enter the Columbia River from the Pacific and head upstream to various smaller rivers where they go to spawn.  Some years are enormous and other years kind of spotty.  Anyway, this year was sparse, but there were days when large numbers would pass by.

Yesterday the Fish and Game management opened a one day netting allowed for all comers, with a ten pound limit. 
So here is what left me astounded; most of the folks who showed up didn't speak english, or mostly spoke either something that sounded like Russian, or they were obviously oriental and spoke something that sounded like Chinese to me.  All of that wasn't the whole picture; it was what these folks arrived in and their overall features.  All of their vehicles were very new and there were a lot of high dollar Teslas.  The people themselves were tall and could pass for movie stars--not all of them, but a large percentage--even the orientals.  This was on a Tuesday when most people from around here would be working and the kids would be in school.  Apparently not the case with these folks.

Since I couldn't converse with these people, all I could do is conclude that what is going on in this world is having some unexpected movement of people.  My guess is that some of the "better off folks" from China and maybe Ukraine have decided to migrate to the USA.  The folks I'm talking about here, obviously didn't jump the border.
Swingem
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: The invasion
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 08:16:45 AM »
I've seen similar things in this
region for years.
During fish spawns/runs in the
local lakes there would be se asians
elbow to elbow catching and keeping
everything they could hook as many
and for as long as they thought they
could get away with, and them and
border jumpers using cast nets in
places netting is strictly forbidden.
( nets are forbidden in this state
for any game fish- any game fish
accidentally caught while netting
for bait must be released immediately)

And I've seen se asians out in public
land/WMA's out small game hunting
sans the required orange hat and vest
and keeping way over limits of game.
They all but wiped out the cottontail
rabbits at one place we used to go.
It's sad
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline NWBear

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 05:22:44 AM »
To most, other than Asians, smelt are bait, not something to eat… Way to many bones

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 07:02:35 AM »
 There are smelt in the Great Lakes too.  Some folks got excited over the "smelt run", but not so much anymore.  I never got into it.

I do know they used them as direct eating..  http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/cek7/nyfish/Osmeridae/osmeridae.html
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 02:21:53 AM »
used to be big up here. i remember using my dip net and it comming up full. but since they planted the salmon it is slim pickings today. people loved smelt frys but they never did anything for me. used to give them all to dad and ma. they loved them..
There are smelt in the Great Lakes too.  Some folks got excited over the "smelt run", but not so much anymore.  I never got into it.

I do know they used them as direct eating..  http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/cek7/nyfish/Osmeridae/osmeridae.html
blue lives matter

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 08:51:06 AM »
Yesterday I witnessed an event that left me somewhat dumbfounded.  I live in the state of Washington and at this time of the year there is a fish event where the smelt (a small migratory fish) enter the Columbia River from the Pacific and head upstream to various smaller rivers where they go to spawn.  Some years are enormous and other years kind of spotty.  Anyway, this year was sparse, but there were days when large numbers would pass by.

Yesterday the Fish and Game management opened a one day netting allowed for all comers, with a ten pound limit. 
So here is what left me astounded; most of the folks who showed up didn't speak english, or mostly spoke either something that sounded like Russian, or they were obviously oriental and spoke something that sounded like Chinese to me.  All of that wasn't the whole picture; it was what these folks arrived in and their overall features.  All of their vehicles were very new and there were a lot of high dollar Teslas.  The people themselves were tall and could pass for movie stars--not all of them, but a large percentage--even the orientals.  This was on a Tuesday when most people from around here would be working and the kids would be in school.  Apparently not the case with these folks.

Since I couldn't converse with these people, all I could do is conclude that what is going on in this world is having some unexpected movement of people.  My guess is that some of the "better off folks" from China and maybe Ukraine have decided to migrate to the USA.  The folks I'm talking about here, obviously didn't jump the border.
If I could afford a Tesla , I believe I could find a better meal than minner's .
Agree Agree x 1 Funny Funny x 2 View List

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 10:19:25 PM »
no teslas by the river up here but a shitpile of 90k diesel pickups

If I could afford a Tesla , I believe I could find a better meal than minner's .
blue lives matter

Offline neckisred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 11:33:46 PM »
no teslas by the river up here but a shitpile of 90k diesel pickups

Dang if that ain't the truth and most have owners that appear to be 12 years old. The tires and wheels on those trucks are worth more than my old chevy.