Author Topic: i like cube steaks  (Read 385 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
i like cube steaks
« on: March 14, 2024, 10:00:23 PM »
beef they beef or venison. so many ways to cook them. last night i floured and fried some in olive oil and put them on Hogie buns with moz cheese fried onion mushrooms and peppers. last cow we bought i was pretty flush still with burger so i had them make me 75lbs of them. i do venison cubes myself with an attachment thay goes on the meat grinder. we even quit buying pork chops. i buy whole loins for around 2 bucks a lb slice them and run them through my cuber and make chicken fried pork steak or even grill them. cheaper the chops or steak per lb and your not paying for bone. both are good in the crock pot too. brown them and put the in with a can of mushroom soup and let them cook all day and serve on mashed potatoes
blue lives matter

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: i like cube steaks
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 12:55:30 AM »
Never had one of those doo dads,
but it would be handy at times.
I used to have a couple of commercial
meat tenderizing mallets, but they
disappeared to the twilight zone
(I guess) the last time I packed
up and moved here and there.
Used  to be a nice small market/grocery
a few miles to the east that the
owner raised and butchered and
sold his beef, and like all the old
good things that have passed with
time, he'd cut your meat to order
and had a big commercial
cuber/tenderizer he'd run your
cuts through on request.

I really miss things like that
that only live in memories
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 04:13:14 AM »
We have several beef raiser around here, who cut, package and sell their own beef..and that not counting the Amish.

Some specialize..Angus, Hereford, Highlander etc.  others, chickens, eggs etc..going back to the old ways.. a great sign.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 07:30:27 AM »
beef they beef or venison. so many ways to cook them. last night i floured and fried some in olive oil and put them on Hogie buns with moz cheese fried onion mushrooms and peppers. last cow we bought i was pretty flush still with burger so i had them make me 75lbs of them. i do venison cubes myself with an attachment thay goes on the meat grinder. we even quit buying pork chops. i buy whole loins for around 2 bucks a lb slice them and run them through my cuber and make chicken fried pork steak or even grill them. cheaper the chops or steak per lb and your not paying for bone. both are good in the crock pot too. brown them and put the in with a can of mushroom soup and let them cook all day and serve on mashed potatoes
How does that doo-dad work?

When I think of cube steak , I think of chopped steak and Ma with a cooking mallet on a thick piece  of wood (cutting board). ;D

A good friend of mine , when the neighborhood boys would go to a restaurant ( real one, not fast food) he would , if they had it, get a chopped steak.
In my life, since I left home, oddly with all the different cuts I have bought, chopped steak is a true rarity.  :o

Best neighborhood diner,  cut of tought meat I ever had was a Flank Steak burger near 20 years ago.
Lloyd your post brings back good memories. 8)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 10:11:32 PM »
it has apposing rows of blades that cut the steak one way then you turn the steak sideways run it through again and it cuts a cross hatch pattern. takes about 3 seconds a steak with my grider powered unit
How does that doo-dad work?

When I think of cube steak , I think of chopped steak and Ma with a cooking mallet on a thick piece  of wood (cutting board). ;D

A good friend of mine , when the neighborhood boys would go to a restaurant ( real one, not fast food) he would , if they had it, get a chopped steak.
In my life, since I left home, oddly with all the different cuts I have bought, chopped steak is a true rarity.  :o

Best neighborhood diner,  cut of tought meat I ever had was a Flank Steak burger near 20 years ago.
Lloyd your post brings back good memories. 8)
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 10:16:54 PM »
this is what it kind of looks  like inside. i bought it years ago to do venion cube when we did crop damage shooting but found it works great on pork loin too. the beef ones i let the processor do when i buy a cow and they butcher it. they dont charge extra.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134888924827?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1W-pV9aLdSuuomd50kbgZWw59&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=134888924827&targetid=4580153138864426&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=603247546&mkgroupid=1224856947396832&rlsatarget=pla-4580153138864426&abcId=9316119&merchantid=51291&msclkid=5862e00b8ea51d4ee1ab85feda6be878
blue lives matter

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 09:33:00 AM »
this is the one i have
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-grinder-meat-tenderizer-attachment?COBRANDED=RUMBOES_ADW&acntb=flight&cq_plac=&cq_net=o&cq_pos=&cq_med=&cq_plt=gp&gclid=7d72bcaf9312138bfbe1d95ac74e87df&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=7d72bcaf9312138bfbe1d95ac74e87df
The other half had me buy here a Cuisinart mixer for Christmas some years back , which has not used yet, BUT, I checked and they make a meat  tenderizer attachment for it for it for 50 some bucks.

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 02:38:56 PM »
this is the one i have
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-grinder-meat-tenderizer-attachment?COBRANDED=RUMBOES_ADW&acntb=flight&cq_plac=&cq_net=o&cq_pos=&cq_med=&cq_plt=gp&gclid=7d72bcaf9312138bfbe1d95ac74e87df&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=7d72bcaf9312138bfbe1d95ac74e87df
The other half had me buy here a Cuisinart mixer for Christmas some years back , which has not used yet, BUT, I checked and they make a meat  tenderizer attachment for it for it for 50 some bucks.

Sounds like you found her next present!

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 03:19:57 AM »
Made me remember.
The closest grocery store used to
sell cubed pork steaks for about
$3.00 + - for a tray with 4-5.
I'd buy those and fry and cut up
in bite size pieces and make a
kind of swiss steak mess to go
over rice. I haven't seen any for
a long time
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 10:00:47 AM »
one of my favorites is venison Philly cheese steaks subs. i made them the other day with beef cube steaks sliced like you did and it was great
Made me remember.
The closest grocery store used to
sell cubed pork steaks for about
$3.00 + - for a tray with 4-5.
I'd buy those and fry and cut up
in bite size pieces and make a
kind of swiss steak mess to go
over rice. I haven't seen any for
a long time
blue lives matter