Author Topic: Pubs and coffee shops..  (Read 1167 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Pubs and coffee shops..
« on: April 02, 2024, 05:37:11 AM »
  It seems that in the UK, the village pub is where theb locals gather to socialize, share local news, and enjoy one another's company.

I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but around here there is a rise in the popularity of local "coffee shops".  Possibly due to the heightened
   police alert to drinking and driving, plus the morning to afternoon hours of operation, they seem to do well if run correctly.

Of course, these shops furnish far more than simply coffee...including a breakfast and lunch menu, as well as a carefully chosen "house" blend,
  as well as specialized coffees, and the various derivitives of the major coffee franchises. 

My grandson and his bride to be, have a very successful deli here in the village...but will be opening a separate coffee shop to serve locals.

By experience, pubs or coffee shops each take on a character of it's own. This shop will theme conservative, Christian values, and has a clientel
   waiting for it's opening.

At least one of the featured coffees will be the "Black Rifle" coffees...and they will provide their own, shop baked pastries.

Does your neighborhood have such a shop ? Are they popular where you live?  Below see grandson's announcement and logo.

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Pubs and coffee shops..
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 02:48:10 PM »
HaHa!   :D

This is the hood.
These hoodrats live on beer and
alcohol and various types of dope.
Border jumpers (most) are instant
coffee customers.
Besides the elderly neighbor that
is hospitalized, I'm probably the
only coffee drinker in a half mile
circle
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Online Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 03:23:50 PM »
The coffee shops "returned" way, way, way back in the mid-eighties.

Back then the vast majority were single local  operations , often, in towns with post-high school education operations.
We had one here in town, that sold Rice-Crispy bars, made with real butter for a buck each, only they were 4x4 and over two inches high.

The number increased quickly, there were at one poit six such operations in town, THEN, Starbucks, Caribou, Dunn's Brothers chain shops started proliferating like cancer and the small private shops started shutting down one-by-one.
Also partly due to greedy SOBs, increasing space rent to asinine prices.

Part of what killed single owner small shops, was chains,  they offered food the small shops could not afford to do.
At this point there are again a few privae shops, but now, rather than offer the GOOD STRONG coffee they did 30 years ago, there was always a pot of very hot water on the table with cream, sugar, etc., they offer Americano coffee which is , too often , no stronger than the crap you get at places like Country Kitchen, Perkins, etc.
They will SELL you a shot of Espresso IF you want to make your coffee stronger.

ONe kinda good thing, the local College , had its own coffee shop open till ten P.M.n(later during finals) so if one wanted a late night coffee, you could go there and get one.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 04:12:22 PM »
 Got a couple coffee shops around. Always a few cars in the lot. Never been in one myself, could never justify spending $6-$10 for a cup of coffee, when I can make it at home for a tenth as much. Pubs, another name for a bar. Been in bars, hundreds of times since '73. Haven't been in one for 10+ years. Probably out of touch, use to be, guys getting off of work, have a few drinks, let off steam. Or, guys and gals, looking for good time. Now, their probably sitting next to each other, trying to figure out what shade of mascara to use, so not to make them compete with each other!
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 04:47:05 PM »
  Sad to hear that some shops charge so much for a cup of coffee..  The "Last Drop' will charge competitive prices for their house, as well as decaf
    and dark blends.. about $2...  Specialties, as well as espresso and mochas etc., will be somewhat higher.

The Starbucks (Five bucks) won't likely make any showing around here, not enough population..plus Five Bucks is way too costly.

Sorry to hear that Ranger's "Hood" won't support such an endeavor, since the coffee shops in local small towns seem to be doing fine.

In fact, there is a very similar shop down the road about 4 miles, in another small town.  I used to show up there often, along with my son and
  often said grandson.  It was going great, and had a great, family atmosphere.   Many regulars even showed up before church on Sunday mornings.

Then ownership changed.....and the help changed..from a congenial and friendly staff...to a staff that is all LBGTQ..and conversed openly of
     their activities around the customers.   I still don't know where they found a half dozen of those weirdos around here.

Since my grandson was a regular and friends with most all those who went there, they are now awaiting his shop's opening, and will start their
     usual gathering at the Last Drop.

The charm of the local coffee shop is the congeniality of the local regulars, and meeting new people who may stop by.

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 01:04:00 PM »
I have my coffee when not at home at a local restaurant/ Pizza place that serves a good cheap breakfast and free coffee, if you eat, and all the coffee you can drink for two bucks otherwise. Along with that comes free advice from myself and a half dozen other Trumpers over several tables. I think most of the others in the place must be conservative, as they haven't complained to the owner lol!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 04:52:18 PM »
I have my coffee when not at home at a local restaurant/ Pizza place that serves a good cheap breakfast and free coffee, if you eat, and all the coffee you can drink for two bucks otherwise. Along with that comes free advice from myself and a half dozen other Trumpers over several tables. I think most of the others in the place must be conservative, as they haven't complained to the owner lol!

Exactly; you have summed up just about what the "local coffee shop" should be.  I expect the clientel for this new one would be basically
   Christian/conservative.

This county is a deep, deep red.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 12:13:20 AM »
who the hell wants to socialize with the type of people who go to coffe shops. make mine folgers at home ;)
blue lives matter
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 02:04:41 AM »
who the hell wants to socialize with the type of people who go to coffe shops. make mine folgers at home ;)

To each his own, I guess.  ...But just who are "the people who go to coffee shops"?   So far as I can observe, they are fall into no stereotypical
     group.   Business people, housewives, mechanics, highway workers, teenagers and even children..along with many other "types"..  ;) ;D

Agreed, not everyone likes to socialize, in fact I was once somewhat of the reclusive type, but I outgrew it, and am pleased with the results.

Some folks socialize at pubs, some at coffee shops..which builds community bonds...no harm in that !

Perhaps you can recall a very popular sitcom of the 1980s, which was set in a Boston bar.  Millions watched it, so they must find something there.

I never watched it, since I don't relate to the bar scene, but I do similarly enjoy the coffee shop scene...

Pub or coffee shop.. it is a source of news concerning community news and  events, past and in the future..

BTW..for those not interested in any coffee shop, attendance is definitely not mandatory... ;)  :D ;D

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 08:30:53 AM »
My home town had a Ma and Pa restaurant where the old school gents of town used to gather regularly.
Sadly it was torn down and replaced , two years ago, with a foo-foo restaurant that  rather try to fit in with the town style (it is on Main Street in the middle of town) put in some hideous all glass front hog barn. --  (Being vindictive, they also tore down the store next to it and in doing so caused serious damage to the store next to that , SO, now there is a gaping hole and lawsuits flying 8)

There is a chain coffee shop in my home town, Dunn's Brothers (actually  fantastic for a chain, Until, the original owners sold it to some one else) and ususally there are business people on their computers while snacking on baked goods and drinking coffee.
They also have newspapers for people to read, which I used to do fairly often before the virus hit.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 11:05:34 AM »
  From NW;

". Along with that comes free advice from myself and a half dozen other Trumpers over several tables."

^^^RIGHT THERE^^^!  That's what makes a good coffee shop !  An old fashioned term perhaps some remember.. "Coffee klatch"'
        was a common term.  Such a klatch covers everything from how to grow a great tomato, train a work horse...or how to handle that 18 wheeler
     over the divide...and down into Truckee.

I used to be part of a gang of we old-timers who met at tghe meeting room over at the nearby trucking company.  ..But when Covid hit, there
    were a couple guys who dared not attend, since they already had an immunity challenged condition, so it just  petered out.

The Last Drop, will offer free coffee to law enforcement and first responders in uniform. Free coffee refills, to those who are eating/drinking coffee
  on the premisis.

As Bob mentioned, it is sad to see the old Mom & Pop coffee shop go..but to have a replacement move in, run by folks who don't understand the community they are dealing with....results in an even bigger problem.

Below, see photo of the deli..the coffee shop is being readied in the right hand wing..about twice as large as what is seen here behind the truck.

The building on the left is our American Legion hall.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 10:40:34 PM »
yup to each thier own. me? i never needed company to be happy. ive got 3 good friends that id trust with my life. if my wife died tomorrow id be fine on my own and would NEVER have the need for a wife again. im most happy in my loading room or wrenching on one of my vehicles. sure dont need some liberal college kids drinking lates (cant even spelling it) or some chocolate coffee crap. if thats what someone likes go for it. i know im in the minority preferring to be alone. [te author=ironglow link=topic=306429.msg1099843776#msg1099843776 date=1712232281]

To each his own, I guess.  ...But just who are "the people who go to coffee shops"?   So far as I can observe, they are fall into no stereotypical
     group.   Business people, housewives, mechanics, highway workers, teenagers and even children..along with many other "types"..  ;) ;D

Agreed, not everyone likes to socialize, in fact I was once somewhat of the reclusive type, but I outgrew it, and am pleased with the results.

Some folks socialize at pubs, some at coffee shops..which builds community bonds...no harm in that !

Perhaps you can recall a very popular sitcom of the 1980s, which was set in a Boston bar.  Millions watched it, so they must find something there.

I never watched it, since I don't relate to the bar scene, but I do similarly enjoy the coffee shop scene...

Pub or coffee shop.. it is a source of news concerning community news and  events, past and in the future..

BTW..for those not interested in any coffee shop, attendance is definitely not mandatory... ;)  :D ;D

[/quote]
blue lives matter

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 04:17:18 AM »
  . . .As Bob mentioned, it is sad to see the old Mom & Pop coffee shop go..but to have a replacement move in, run by folks who don't understand the community they are dealing with....results in an even bigger problem. . . .

Yeah,  that's the problem with most of the businesses in the
nation that have problems or are not making it.
A big "investment group " /corporation  buys it up, and
the upper echelon/management positions are filled with
people that don't know anything about the ins and outs of
the particular business or the customer base, and the
business falters and most likely has to padlock the doors.
The employees and the consumers are the losers.
I've seen it a lot in the business I worked at for decades and
the vendors I worked with, and I've seen it in other areas of
business.
We'll have to go back to merit based hiring and leave
the experienced qualified workers alone and let them
do their job and cull the sandbaggers .
It's either that,  or all the industries will move to meckseeko
or the philippines or taiwan.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 07:25:58 AM »
All this talk of coffee shops has me wanting to find or try a new one.
Ten years ago I drank in, or from, one probably 30-40 times a year, even more 20 years ago, now maybe 5.

Price is one reason I have stopped going often, I am still used to a 20 oz. coffee for less than 2 bucks a cup, but now some are over 3 bucks a cup.
There were, gone now, some that had pre-made deli type sandwiches, ham, turkey etc. , and they were actually fantastic, but now, if , they have such food, the price is assininely high.
At that, I think I will mosey on down to one for old times sake.  8)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2024, 12:07:25 PM »
  . . .As Bob mentioned, it is sad to see the old Mom & Pop coffee shop go..but to have a replacement move in, run by folks who don't understand the community they are dealing with....results in an even bigger problem. . . .

Yeah,  that's the problem with most of the businesses in the
nation that have problems or are not making it.
A big "investment group " /corporation  buys it up, and
the upper echelon/management positions are filled with
people that don't know anything about the ins and outs of
the particular business or the customer base, and the
business falters and most likely has to padlock the doors.
The employees and the consumers are the losers.
I've seen it a lot in the business I worked at for decades and
the vendors I worked with, and I've seen it in other areas of
business.
We'll have to go back to merit based hiring and leave
the experienced qualified workers alone and let them
do their job and cull the sandbaggers .
It's either that,  or all the industries will move to meckseeko
or the philippines or taiwan.

Yes...we saw such a mess at work, when some "bean counters" bought out Remington, Marlin and H&R..

Now, jiust as you said, we have DEI to deal with..hiring people by their gender, color, sexual perversion ao some other thing which will
  practically guarantee that many will be less than qualified for the job.

With this DEI stuff....I am apprehensive when it makes it's presence known in critical occupations, such as air traffic controllers, heavy equipment
   operators, aircraft mechanics and such occupations.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 12:22:02 PM »
The only coffee shops as far as specialty shops that sell coffee around here that I'm aware of are the Starbucks and a small one called Scooter's. I really don't think they have room for folks to sit and drink in either. I've never been inside a coffee shop anywhere so am not sure but as I go by the buildings they don't look big enough to have much if any seating.

I don't claim to be "in the know" on such things but as far as I know there are no real such places as some of  you mention where folks come each day and sit and talk about whatever it is folks talk about these days.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2024, 12:26:56 PM »
All this talk of coffee shops has me wanting to find or try a new one.
Ten years ago I drank in, or from, one probably 30-40 times a year, even more 20 years ago, now maybe 5.

Price is one reason I have stopped going often, I am still used to a 20 oz. coffee for less than 2 bucks a cup, but now some are over 3 bucks a cup.
There were, gone now, some that had pre-made deli type sandwiches, ham, turkey etc. , and they were actually fantastic, but now, if , they have such food, the price is assininely high.
At that, I think I will mosey on down to one for old times sake.  8)
      I was talking with my grandson just last night..  House coffee will be $2 per 16 oz cup with free refills.  Specialties will be a bit more.

All the regular deli foods will be available..along with things like muffins, pastries, scones etc, all freshly made each morning, just as their cookies, pizza dough an dother baked goods are now done.

They make Ice cream sandwiches...with freshly made cookies..and ice crream cakes for small parties,or to take home.  THey arec already famous
    locally for their Pizzas, wings and fish fries..

Below are some photos I took from their facebook page.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2024, 12:48:52 PM »
  I was up the highway about 10-12 miles, and stopped by the local Buger king for some coffee and a biscuit..

There is a group of guys who gather there each morning, and I sat down with them. I know all of them already, so it was no big deal.

I don't know if we are different here than in many places, but from that BK, one can turn the corner and go 2-3 miles to find a McDonalds, where
    another group of old timers gather mornings.. I don't personally know most of them though.

So far as an earlier siggestion here...no I'm not looking for a wife.  I had one, she was a winner..and nobody could replace her.

..But it sure is nice on a cold, winter morning, to enter a cozy shop, sit among friends and wrap my hands around a warm cup of coffee, and
   perhaps enjoy a pastry along with friendly, congenial company.
Like Like x 1 View List

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 12:50:50 PM »
The only coffee shops as far as specialty shops that sell coffee around here that I'm aware of are the Starbucks and a small one called Scooter's. I really don't think they have room for folks to sit and drink in either. I've never been inside a coffee shop anywhere so am not sure but as I go by the buildings they don't look big enough to have much if any seating.

I don't claim to be "in the know" on such things but as far as I know there are no real such places as some of  you mention where folks come each day and sit and talk about whatever it is folks talk about these days.
Scooters is a drive-up only around here, they are spreading like a wildfire; Most Starbucks have a small seating area for maybe a dozen or a dozen and one-half.

Book stores often did/do have a coffee shop, sadly now they are priced higher than a similar brand shop , NOT in  a book store.
When Borders Book Store was still around they had fantastic coffee.

This thread is making me extremely nostalgic and a bit sad. :-\

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2024, 04:05:50 AM »
  Ready to open on schedule...  will be there of course, on 4/26.  A local country band has volunteered to  play for the opener..

Click on pic for enlargement..

Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2024, 01:56:33 PM »
Semi related- a while back, out of
necessity I bought some wallyworld
store brand instant, and it really
surprised me. Really good for instant
and for a store brand. Found out it's
made for them by Sara Lee, the
store bought pastry and cake people.
I still have several unopened cans
of regular "good" coffee that I bought
a good while back. Been buying and
using the good "cheap junk" coffee
every day.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2024, 04:21:49 PM »
  During the past  year my taste for certain items has changed remarkably.  I find I cannot take the really hot items very well..starting with chicken wings..medium or mild for me please.

In coffee, I went from using creamer (often hazelnut) to using no creamer, but still using sugar or sweetner...  I was using a Keurig machine..but taking a cue from Bill, I have now gone to instant coffee..and TASTERS CHOICE, as Bill suggested,...is the primary one.

Of course, I doubt the coffee shop will serve instant coffee, but I have already found a favorite there, called DAYBREAK..

Not too much into the espressos or Cafe lattes.... haven't tried iced coffee yet..it just doesn't sound right !  ;) ;D

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2024, 04:53:45 PM »
Semi related-  the "news" people were
saying about 30 minutes ago that a trendy
fad coffee bistro in the Uptown section of
town closed in the middle of the business
day with customers in line and some sitting
drinking their coffee drinks they'd just purchased.
The management literally kicked all customers
and employees out the door and locked everything
up. From what I understand by the "news" report,
there were some who had already paid and they
were thrown out with everyone else.
Supposed to be some trendy national chain type
deal and the company is very deep in debt.
They said that those who have gift cards and
those with paid orders are just SOL.

What is it the old confused man says?
Oh yeah-  BUILD BACK BETTER
 :D       :D       :D       :D
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2024, 05:03:06 PM »
When I landscaped I would the night before make my self  thermos of either black tea or  coffee, some times both,  and put it in the  refridgerator.
Cold STRONG coffee when you are busting your butt and dirty tastes like nectar from heaven.

I will not pay the asinine price they charge for iced coffee at a coffee house.com

Taster's Choice or variations, thereof, is ranked on-line as about as good as it gets.
I did check online several year back, before such taste tests were linked to prices at Amazon, Douwe Egbert, or one from that company was the one that usually gave Taster's Choicw a run for the money.
The reason I found Douwe Egbert is Casinos around here advertised they used Douwe Egbert Coffee , so I looked it up on line.

Sadly coffee choices were from totally seaparate companies, now just like so many other things , companies are mergining or being bought out and eradicated.
Butter Nut used to rank high 30 years ago, but now you can only get it in expensive little 3oz. jars and Beech Nut, the company that now owns it, has quit making Beech Nut coffee which, when I was young ,was considered a very good coffee.

The grind your own spots in grocery stores are now totally gone around here and the choices of coffee, instant or ground are done to approx. one-half dozen from four times that 20 years ago.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2024, 01:29:43 AM »
When I landscaped I would the night before make my self  thermos of either black tea or  coffee, some times both,  and put it in the  refridgerator.
Cold STRONG coffee when you are busting your butt and dirty tastes like nectar from heaven.

I will not pay the asinine price they charge for iced coffee at a coffee house.com

Taster's Choice or variations, thereof, is ranked on-line as about as good as it gets.
I did check online several year back, before such taste tests were linked to prices at Amazon, Douwe Egbert, or one from that company was the one that usually gave Taster's Choicw a run for the money.
The reason I found Douwe Egbert is Casinos around here advertised they used Douwe Egbert Coffee , so I looked it up on line.

Sadly coffee choices were from totally seaparate companies, now just like so many other things , companies are mergining or being bought out and eradicated.
Butter Nut used to rank high 30 years ago, but now you can only get it in expensive little 3oz. jars and Beech Nut, the company that now owns it, has quit making Beech Nut coffee which, when I was young ,was considered a very good coffee.

The grind your own spots in grocery stores are now totally gone around here and the choices of coffee, instant or ground are done to approx. one-half dozen from four times that 20 years ago.

There is a Bible conference down by the nearby lake, which serves Douwe Egbert coffee, and I agree..it is good coffee.

At Last Drop, the iced coffee is started before leaving at night, and allowed to brew cold until morning.  THey also serve it with "coffee cubes"..that
     being coffee frozen into cubes, since plain ice cubes tend to dilute the coffee.

A local  grinder named MacCulloch (since1862) furnishes some of the blends, but  others, such as Black Rifle etc are also available.

Some types are ground from beans on the spot when ordered.

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2024, 04:53:39 AM »

I drank a lot of Waffle House Coffee in my working days , My job kept me on the move and W H  coffee was the same every where ,and  suited my taste .  MacDonald's coffee was  good also  .As for ice coffee ,  I don't  drink coffee unless its piping hot , cold coffee gets reheated or poured out around here . The term Pub  translated to southern english would be beer joint  not a lot of people  go there for coffee .
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2024, 02:00:47 PM »

I drank a lot of Waffle House Coffee in my working days , My job kept me on the move and W H  coffee was the same every where ,and  suited my taste .  MacDonald's coffee was  good also  .As for ice coffee ,  I don't  drink coffee unless its piping hot , cold coffee gets reheated or poured out around here . The term Pub  translated to southern english would be beer joint  not a lot of people  go there for coffee .

Here..if not all the US, it seems the pub or bar patrons and the coffee shop patrons are of a different demographic.

Online Bob Riebe

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2024, 04:12:18 PM »
Well now there Laddies, iffin I have the hankerin for an Irish Coffee I be wanderin down to the local pub.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2024, 05:01:31 PM »
  Soft opening was scheduled for tomorrow...but a crowd of locals jumped the gun and convinced  the boss to open this morning..

Great crowd as it was..but tomorrow morning may be even better.

The pastries, from muffins to turnovers to cinnamon rolls and folled doughnuts are all made right there..and come out of the oven hot and ready . 

The chef is so driven that even the creme brule cream (like Boston cream filling), is also made rightbinnthe kitchen.

I was very partial to the cinnamon rolls..

Below..cinnamon rolls, donuts and Lattes.. cell phone shots..

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2024, 03:12:02 AM »
That does it, me and the kids are going to breakfast.