Author Topic: Indeed, our education system is failing..  (Read 631 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Indeed, our education system is failing..
« on: April 07, 2024, 03:32:38 AM »
  I cannot believe how downright uninformed these high school and college students are.  I endured this video for 25 minutes, taking the "test" with these students.

Simple questions, just as the title says, but I must confess, although answered eachj before the prompt was posted, I did miss one question at that time.. and would have missed a second, except I heard the more or less, "trick"question before.

Check out the video...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiY37COFfw0
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
Re: Indeed, our education system is failing..
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 02:57:16 AM »
I am not going to disagree with your core idea. It is disheartening to listen to the answers as recorded.
I do want to point out that this kind of street interview is not something new. In the street interviews of the general public over the years have proven equally disheartening.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 03:12:06 AM »
  It does test one's credulity, when young people can discuss in detail, the lives and misadventures of celebrities, but haven't a clue concerning
   who our bordering nations are..or the causes and effects of the Revolutionary war, the Civil war or the 1st and 2nd world wars, who the opposing
    factions were, or even when they occured.

For Heaven's sake, they can't even name 3 countries in the world..  In truly wonder how they pass the various college entrance tests..

Somebody must be cheating...or given a pass..

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 08:19:17 AM »
Not really a surprise
DEI and enabling and making
excuses for people's shortcomings
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline darkgael

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 11:56:51 PM »
  It does test one's credulity, when young people can discuss in detail, the lives and misadventures of celebrities, but haven't a clue concerning
   who our bordering nations are..or the causes and effects of the Revolutionary war, the Civil war or the 1st and 2nd world wars, who the opposing
    factions were, or even when they occured.

For Heaven's sake, they can't even name 3 countries in the world..  In truly wonder how they pass the various college entrance tests..

Somebody must be cheating...or given a pass..

I repeat…..Stop a random selection of adults on the street and ask those questions. You will get similar results.
College entrance exams….the SAT, ACT, CLT…..not tests which a student can pass or fail. As well, it would be rare for any of them to ask directed questions about the topics that you mentioned.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 02:05:49 AM »
  From DG;
    "
I repeat…..Stop a random selection of adults on the street and ask those questions. You will get similar results.
College entrance exams….the SAT, ACT, CLT…..not tests which a student can pass or fail. As well, it would be rare for any of them to ask directed questions about the topics that you mentioned."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Perhaps I should reword my query...  How do many students qualify for college entrance, when they are so grossly misinformed?

Offline darkgael

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 01:15:15 AM »
when they are so grossly misinformed
Fair enough question, though “uninformed” might.be more to the point.
The facts that answer those questions are important to you. You are a patriotic guy. You have had (and continue to have) time to absorb and appreciate that you are, we all are, a product of history and personal experience. Like a number of us on this forum, you are in your eighth (ninth?) decade. As am I. You have been around more than just the block. Just think about all the places that you know how to get to…..without a map. Those uninformed kids are in their second decade, maybe the third for some. Many of them have not yet fiqured out what is important in life…..some never will….the things that are important, details that become the background of our lives build up over time. They are learned. Those entrance tests do not ask about those details; the tests are more concerned about how well those uninformed kids think, about how they solve problems, about their potential..
And remember when you criticize the “system” for its failures (and, for sure, the system does have problems) ,  remember where those young people spend most of their time. In a 24 hour day,,, they may be in school for seven.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 01:56:37 AM »
 I believe it was Karl Marx who said that education of the young was where it should start. And, in the last 50-60 years especially, our education system is catering to the lowest common denominator, because they don't want to hurt kids feelings, and it shows up later in life. They don't do well in the work place, they've been brain washed into thinking, all they have to do is show up, and get paid for it. Last spring, a high school in Texas had a graduating class of 98 or 99 students. Only 2 or 3 could actually pass their finals. But they gave them all diploma's, and let them go. Show's you that the teachers have been brain washed first.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 01:58:26 AM »
when they are so grossly misinformed
Fair enough question, though “uninformed” might.be more to the point.
The facts that answer those questions are important to you. You are a patriotic guy. You have had (and continue to have) time to absorb and appreciate that you are, we all are, a product of history and personal experience. Like a number of us on this forum, you are in your eighth (ninth?) decade. As am I. You have been around more than just the block. Just think about all the places that you know how to get to…..without a map. Those uninformed kids are in their second decade, maybe the third for some. Many of them have not yet fiqured out what is important in life…..some never will….the things that are important, details that become the background of our lives build up over time. They are learned. Those entrance tests do not ask about those details; the tests are more concerned about how well those uninformed kids think, about how they solve problems, about their potential..
And remember when you criticize the “system” for its failures (and, for sure, the system does have problems) ,  remember where those young people spend most of their time. In a 24 hour day,,, they may be in school for seven.

I do understand their inexperience, which of course is not their fault. However, one would expect that since they are supposedly in school to learn
   They would not attempt to teach the rest of us about the many things they have yet to learn.

I guess the outright "know-it-all" attitude of SOME of them is what is a galling rub in many ways, such as blocking commerce, and other citizens
    who only wish to go about their business, while trying to force their cockeyed ideas upon the rest of us.

They are trying to "teach" we who have learned long ago

..And yes; they would likely be the first to complain about avid Christians...trying to "shove religion down their throats"... ;) ;D

One hopeful sign..from my observations, the truly "brightest and best" are not usually among the foolish demonstrators..

Meanwhile, they are in many cases being deceived in their foolish moves, by certain teachers who are of an age where they should be acting
    more maturely.  No sane excuse for them.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 04:29:40 AM »
Just me-  I blame a goodly percentage on
yoofloob. The more I see of it ( of any subject)
the more I realize how FOS many of the
people that make yoofloob videos are.
I was coming to realize that seeing some of
the blatant stupid stuff on the reloading
videos, and especially the automotive
and small engine repair videos.
It's obvious that many don't know the
first thing about what the bleep they're
talking about, and have most likely
plagiarized a book or another's
yoofloob video.
I've about quit trying to be helpful to
others because they just doubt whatever
you try to advise them about and say
you're fos
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline darkgael

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 04:47:56 AM »
expect that since they are supposedly in schoolmto learn
   They would not attempt to teach the rest of us about the many things they have yet to learn.

I guess the outright "know-it-all" attitude of SOME of them is what is a galling rub in many ways, such as blocking commerce, and other citizens
    who only wish to go about their business, while trying to force their cockeyed ideas upon the rest of us.

..And yes; they would likely be the first to complain about avid Chjristians...trying to "shove religion down their throats"... ;) ;D

Where did all of that come from…..blocking commerce, forcing ideas, teaching, complaining about christians?

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 08:58:57 AM »
expect that since they are supposedly in schoolmto learn

..And yes; they would likely be the first to complain about avid Chjristians...trying to "shove religion down their throats"... ;) ;D

Where did all of that come from…..blocking commerce, forcing ideas, teaching, complaining about christians?

OK..blocking commerce...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDU-0H5KdGo

forcing ideas...  https://www.thefire.org/research-learn/pronouns-free-speech-and-first-amendment..

More forcing...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfYJ_ZTk1SY

More forcing and intimidation...  https://nypost.com/2023/11/10/news/jewish-students-at-mit-blocked-from-attending-classes-by-hostile-anti-israel-protesters/
  And still more...  https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/wellesley-college-students-vote-admit-trans-men-nonbinary-students-rcna75062

BTW..Not "uninformed", but misinformed..when these people insist a man can become a  woman and also get pregnant..

How much more misinformed can one get?

..And the Anti Christian part..  They are trying to spread the glories of communism to people who have lived long enough and seen enough to
   know better, but suggest that they may need Jesus..and suddenly you are "forcing your religion down their throats".

While by experience and personal knowlege, I reject communism..to say they are "forcing it down my throat"..would be rank hyperbnole.

Offline NWBear

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 05:13:58 AM »
Didn’t the OP link to a U-tube to illustrate the point?

Maybe the “only” good ones are those we already agree with…?

Offline darkgael

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2024, 05:44:53 AM »
BTW..Not "uninformed", but misinformed..when these people insist a man can become a  woman and also get pregnant..       How much more misinformed can one get?     ..And the Anti Christian part..  They are trying to spread the glories of communism to people who have lived long enough and seen enough to    know better, but suggest that they may need Jesus..and suddenly you are "forcing your religion down their throats".      While by experience and personal knowlege, I reject communism..to say they are "forcing it down my throat"..
  you do have a point there…..a few points.

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 06:16:41 AM »
My younger brother is 7 years younger.  He came to me after he got out of high school and was taking welding.  He didn't know how to do fractions.  I had to teach him about the lowest common denominator.  He had to figure fractions when cutting and welding metal parts. 

My kids and my grandkids especially haven't learned a lot of basics.  I blame computers and calculators.  Also no handwriting. 

I think they should know how to balance a checkbook or keep a log of what they spend on their debit cards on paper, read a newspaper or magazine to know what the news is.  And they need to learn history, especially the Constitution and why all the amendments were put in there.  Brits tried to stop freedom of speach, the press, as well as coming to Lexington and Concord to confiscate weapons and powder, etc.  There was a reason for all of them. 

Also, they should study the writings of Washington and Jefferson about why the amendments were put in.

Then in 1892 the supreme court chief justice stated that America was a Christian nation and that our laws are made on Christian principles.  Oh, how far we have fallen.   
Opelika Portal

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 06:33:47 AM »
The left has destroyed the education system for control.  They think people are now so stupid, they can't decide what to believe or not believe in freedom of speech.  Also, they are not smart enough to get a photo ID for voting, yet get photo ID's for drivers licenses. 
Opelika Portal

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 08:14:47 AM »
Didn’t the OP link to a U-tube to illustrate the point?

Maybe the “only” good ones are those we already agree with…?

Not a matter of "agree with"..the OP Youtube simply showed how UN-informed they are.  Ignorant..but not stupid.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2024, 08:18:51 AM »
The left has destroyed the education system for control.  They think people are now so stupid, they can't decide what to believe or not believe in freedom of speech.  Also, they are not smart enough to get a photo ID for voting, yet get photo ID's for drivers licenses.

I don't believe that destruction was accidental.  People who have little or no knowledge of their history, traditions or values, are
  an easy group to control.  ..And such control works well..when it is a simple matter of handing out "goodies' to them.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2024, 01:33:45 AM »
  The fever is going around...  Now the anti Israel, pro terrorism malady is spreading..  It went from Columbia to NYU , then Yale..and now it seems
  the madness is proliferating rapidly.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/anti-israel-campus-protests-spreading-california-texas-brace-after-activists-overrun-columbia-yale

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2024, 05:20:54 AM »
  The fever is going around...  Now the anti Israel, pro terrorism malady is spreading..  It went from Columbia to NYU , then Yale..and now it seems

https://www.foxnews.com/us/anti-israel-campus-protests-spreading-california-texas-brace-after-activists-overrun-columbia-yale
  These are the same people in BLM & Climate Changers , getting paid to disrupt & protest .

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2024, 01:58:25 PM »

These are the same people in BLM & Climate Changers , getting paid to disrupt & protest .

Doing the work of the devil...and politicos who pretend to honor God but look to build a world kingdom here.

"

"These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me."   (Matthew 15:8)

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2024, 10:33:32 AM »
Of the people who were arrested for protesting (illegally) at colleges in red states, over half weren't even college students.  Many Soros' paid outside agitators. 
Opelika Portal

Online DDZ

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2024, 11:47:06 AM »
Here are some brilliant Harvard students being asked who they are voting for. Must be all they teach at these schools anymore is how to hate America. The one guy that did say he was voting for Trump, was asked why? He said he liked his hair, and that was all. such brilliance from these clueless students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhmUPqLsplg
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Goldie

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2024, 03:16:34 PM »
College's now days are only teaching what the radical parents want taught. Plain and simple. If the dumb ass parents would wake up a bunch of this crap would quit.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2024, 01:31:00 AM »
Of the people who were arrested for protesting (illegally) at colleges in red states, over half weren't even college students.  Many Soros' paid outside agitators.

One informed guest on Newsmax, estimated the disrupters as 10% professional agitators and 90% "useful idiots".

Online DDZ

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2024, 01:32:35 AM »
College's now days are only teaching what the radical parents want taught. Plain and simple. If the dumb ass parents would wake up a bunch of this crap would quit.

At this point in time the parents went through the same indoctrination system, called education.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2024, 01:47:47 AM »
  The same ones who made jackasses of themselves during the Vietnam conflict, are very often, the parents of the useful idiots who are fouling their
    own nests today..