Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 205 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Memorial Day
« on: May 27, 2024, 07:55:24 AM »
Have a reverent and respectful
Memorial Day

Be safe
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 08:29:02 AM »
Remember those who paid for us, both during the wars and after because of the wars.

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 11:56:29 AM »
The same to you and every one here.

Used to take in Memorial service every year at one to two places, and put flowers on he other half's Father's grave, but the people we knew there have all died or moved on and it is a 120 mile drive so the last time was 2 years ago.
When I was a young boy, and Memorial Day was special day all to itself, not just another three-day weekend, I would go to the service every  year held n my home town.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 12:05:59 PM »
Not many know or care in this area.
Can't see another American flag other
than mine as far as I can see.
I guess it's just an extra day off and
another excuse for a cookout and
an intoxicant binge

Oh well.  . . .  :(
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024, 02:02:03 AM »
my 2 closest neighbors are vets. every year the families get together for a barbeque. one died last year and the other was out of town so it was disappointing. went to the graveyard for the ceremony, went home and watched old war movies and ate tacos
Not many know or care in this area.
Can't see another American flag other
than mine as far as I can see.
I guess it's just an extra day off and
another excuse for a cookout and
an intoxicant binge

Oh well.  . . .  :(
blue lives matter

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024, 05:05:27 AM »
  We still celebrate Memorial Day around here.  In fact it is likely the top celebration day of the year in the small village where i live...I have been the featured speaker here and at the next town, 4-5 miles up the line.  Been doing it for 12..14..or 18 years now, I don't know for sure, since I haven't been counting.

The fire department had a chicken BBQ, and my grandson's deli gave out free hotdogs and burgers, until all were handed out.

The weather was supposed to be rainy all day, but broke enough to have no rain for both events.  Keeping a good record, since we have not been
     rained off during my tenure as speaker.

Here is a photo essay by Eagle1 Photography, at our local cemetery.  Didn't realize I suddenly look so old!   :D  ;D

Top photo..prayer time.. Fourth row down shows (from the rear) my daughter-in-law, holding my youngest great grandchild.. I like that photo,
    since it says so much without involving personalities..

https://eagle1photography.zenfolio.com/p526715008?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR26iZdhPlonAc7-KtbzsrG2ECL7jWqqAETA56r04juSu4n8sDUnmMjV0Vg_aem_ARX2kSiNu5

For those who tune to Facebook, here is part of a speech (with audio) from 5 years ago. 
https://www.facebook.com/hpeter.andrews/posts/pfbid0C31SnnhuDy5bmTs6N6jo3zsvA48dM4Z5DozHsLMYbbBfxPPqWHExfPUUNLYYiG54l?notif_id=1716870506926990&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline darkgael

• The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2024, 07:58:22 PM »
That is a marvelous tribute to your faith and Patriotism

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2024, 02:58:21 AM »
That is a marvelous tribute to your faith and Patriotism

Thank you, DG..  The crowd was down just a bit, due to the threat of rain...but thank the lord, the rain held off for both services.

This is the thing i truly enjoy about living in a very conservative and traditional, small town.

Incidentally, that rock behind the podium, marks the few scraps, remains and bones..found in an old cemetery about 3 miles away that had to be
   moved.  The remains date from as far back as the 1700s..some ..Revolutionary War veterans.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)
Like Like x 1 View List