Author Topic: Antler sheds  (Read 690 times)

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Antler sheds
« on: March 26, 2004, 08:02:23 AM »
It's the time of year to be scouting for the antler sheds from last year's bucks. Let's hear it from anyone who has found any good ones. As for myself, I haven't found a single one yet, but then I haven't had much time to search. :cry:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Antler sheds
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 05:10:06 PM »
Notta,have not found any either............yet!! Still looking :eek:  Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline grizzy57

• Avid Poster
Drops
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 11:14:16 PM »
:D
 Doing pretty good this Spring!! Found a matched set (8 point) 1/2 of an 8(4)
 1/2 of a spike. Sunday!! 3/28/04---1/2 of a 4 and 1/2 half of a 6.
                                  Grizzy57  :lol:

Offline Lil John

Antler sheds
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 01:11:28 PM »
I found a few this year. This one was the largest, With a mached side and an 18 in. spred it would score an even 161".

Offline Lil John

Antler sheds
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 02:33:20 PM »
Here's one in a bed, 5 pts

Offline Lil John

Antler sheds
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 02:36:53 PM »
And a 4 pt. that went to VT to be made in to a knife.

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
Antler sheds
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 04:44:55 AM »
I find most of my drops in the turkey season.I walk for miles looking for gobbles and find all kinds of interesting stuff.I have found three drops to date,(2) 4 pointers(half of 8's)and one y buck drop.It takes alot of luck to find them cuz when spring comes they are usually covered up by new growth or mice will eat them.I found one hanging on a tree branch when predator hunting, and there was about 10 inches of snow on the ground.Would never had seen it if it dropped to the ground.You never know where they might be,but a fun hobby too.Just my 2 cents :-)

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Antler sheds
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 05:45:29 AM »
No luck in my neck of the woods. I didn't get out to look until the spring growth was already knee high, so my odds were next to nil.

Just out of curiousity, Lil John, how do you figure the spread of a set of antlers when you only have one side and no skull?

Happy antler hunting! 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Lil John

Antler sheds
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 09:00:06 AM »
huntsman...
Here in New England we have an organization called the Northeast Big Buck Club ( http://www.bigbuckclub.com/ ), It keeps records of antler scores for many of the states in the northeast.
In their record books there is a place for shed antlers, when only one antler is found it is given an assumed spread of 18 in. and the missing antler is given the same score as the one that was found.