Author Topic: US Supreme Court Rules Bump Stock Ban Unlawful  (Read 528 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
US Supreme Court Rules Bump Stock Ban Unlawful
« on: June 14, 2024, 09:43:02 AM »
https://www.newsmax.com/us/supreme-court-bump-stock-machine-gun/2024/06/14/id/1168756/

Friday, 14 June 2024 10:28 AM EDT

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled in favor of a challenge to a federal ban on "bump stock" devices that enable semiautomatic weapons to fire rapidly like machine guns, dealing a setback to yet another firearms restriction — one enacted under Republican former President Donald Trump.

The justices, in a 6-3 ruling, upheld a lower court's decision siding with Michael Cargill, a gun shop owner and gun rights advocate from Austin, Texas, who challenged the ban by claiming that a U.S. agency improperly interpreted a federal law banning machine guns as extending to bump stocks. The conservative justices were in the majority and the liberal justices in dissent.

The rule was imposed after the devices were used during a 2017 mass shooting that killed 58 people at a Las Vegas country music festival.

"This case asks whether a bump stock - an accessory for a semiautomatic rifle that allows the shooter to rapidly reengage the trigger (and therefore achieve a high rate of fire) - converts the rifle into a 'machinegun.' We hold that it does not and therefore affirm" the lower court's ruling, conservative Justice Clarence Thomas wrote in the decision.

Though the Supreme Court affirmed Cargill's victory in his lawsuit U.S. District Judge David Ezra previously rebuffed the plaintiff's effort to block the ban nationwide. The judge, however, left open the door to reconsidering following a ruling by the Supreme Court.

Federal officials have said the rule was needed to protect public safety in the United States, a nation facing persistent firearms violence. The ban was put in place in 2019 during Republican former President Donald Trump's administration and was defended by Democratic President Joe Biden's administration.

Bump stocks use a semiautomatic's recoil to allow it to slide back and forth while "bumping" the shooter's trigger finger, resulting in rapid fire.

Thomas wrote: "We conclude that semiautomatic rifle equipped with a bump stock is not a 'machinegun' because it does not fire more than one shot 'by a single function of the trigger.'"

In a dissent, liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote, "Today, the court puts bump stocks back in civilian hands. To do so, it casts aside Congress's definition of 'machinegun' and seizes upon one that is inconsistent with the ordinary meaning of the statutory text and unsupported by context or purpose."

"When I see a bird that walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck. A bump-stock-equipped semiautomatic rifle fires 'automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.' Because I, like Congress, call that a machinegun, I respectfully dissent," Sotomayor said.

Federal law prohibits the sale or possession of machine guns, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

The bump stocks case centered on how the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), a U.S. Justice Department agency, interpreted the National Firearms Act, which defined machine guns as weapons that can "automatically" fire more than one shot "by a single function of the trigger."

After a gunman used weapons outfitted with bump stocks in the Las Vegas shooting spree that killed 58 people and wounded hundreds more, Trump's administration took action to prohibit the devices. In a reversal of the agency's previous stance, the ATF decided that bump stocks were covered by the National Firearms Act.

The Supreme Court, with its 6-3 conservative minority, has taken an expansive view of gun rights, striking down gun restrictions in major cases in 2008, 2010 and in 2022. In that 2022 decision, struck down New York state's limits on carrying concealed handguns outside the home and set a tough new standard for determining the legality of gun regulations. Unlike those three cases, this challenge was not centered on the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Cargill sued to challenge the bump stocks rule, which required him to surrender his two bump stocks.

"Those weapons do exactly what Congress meant to prohibit when it enacted the prohibition on machine guns," Justice Department lawyer Brian Fletcher told the Supreme Court during arguments in the case in February in which the justices focused on technical aspects of bump stocks.

Fletcher told the justices that "a single motion both initiates and maintains a multi-shot sequence."

In January 2023, the New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with Cargill in a divided opinion.

The United States is a country deeply divided over how to address gun violence that Biden has called a "national embarrassment." Biden and many Democrats favor tougher gun restrictions, while Republicans often oppose them. In this case, however, it was a Republican administration that implemented the regulation.

The Supreme Court had turned away some previous challenges to the bump stocks rule.

The justices also are expected to rule by the end of June in another gun rights case. They heard arguments in November over the legality of a federal law that makes it a crime for people under domestic violence restraining orders to have guns.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Alito Says Congress Can Act on Bump Stocks
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 09:44:50 AM »
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/alito-sotomayor-guns/2024/06/14/id/1168783/

By Solange Reyner    |   Friday, 14 June 2024 01:41 PM EDT

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito on Friday said Congress could amend the law to successfully ban bump stocks after the high court ruled, 6-3, to strike down a federal ban on the devices approved by former President Donald Trump and backed by President Joe Biden.

Sonia Sotomayor in a dissenting opinion warned of "deadly consequences" following the decision.

Trump pushed for the ban after a gunman in Las Vegas attacked a country music festival with assault rifles equipped with the accessories in 2017.

"The horrible shooting spree in Las Vegas in 2017 did not change the statutory text or its meaning. That event demonstrated that a semiautomatic rifle with a bump stock can have the same lethal effect as a machinegun, and it thus strengthened the case for amending §5845(b)," Alito wrote. "But an event that highlights the need to amend a law does not itself change the law's meaning.

"There is a simple remedy for the disparate treatment of bump stocks and machineguns," he continued. "Congress can amend the law — and perhaps would have done so already if ATF had stuck with its earlier interpretation. Now that the situation is clear, Congress can act."

The ban was challenged by a Texas gun store owner who purchased two bump stocks in 2018 and had to return them after the ban was implemented.

The high court's conservative majority found that the Trump administration overstepped when it changed course from predecessors and banned bump stocks.

The gunman in Las Vegas fired more than 1,000 rounds into the crowd in 11 minutes, sending thousands of people fleeing in terror as hundreds were wounded and dozens were killed in 2017.

"Today, the Court puts bump stocks back in civilian hands," Sotomayor wrote in a dissent joined by fellow liberal Justices Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson. "To do so, it casts aside Congress's definition of 'machinegun' and seizes upon one that is inconsistent with the ordinary meaning of the statutory text and unsupported by context or purpose."

The 6-3 majority opinion written by Justice Clarence Thomas found the Justice Department was wrong to declare that bump stocks transformed semiautomatic rifles into illegal machineguns because, he said, they don't "alter the basic mechanics of firing."

"We conclude that [a] semiautomatic rifle equipped with a bump stock is not a 'machinegun' because it does not fire more than one shot 'by a single function of the trigger,' " Thomas wrote in the decision.

Sotomayor, who read her dissent from the bench, rejected that reasoning.

"When I see a bird that walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck," she said. "This is not a hard case. All of the textual evidence points to the same interpretation, its interpretation requires six diagrams and an animation to decipher the meaning of the statutory text."

The decision, she added, "enables gun users and manufacturers to circumvent federal law."

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Biden Slams Supreme Court Bump Stock Decision
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 09:46:39 AM »
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/joe-biden-supreme-court-bump-stocks/2024/06/14/id/1168795/

By Nicole Wells    |   Friday, 14 June 2024 02:42 PM EDT

President Joe Biden denounced the Supreme Court's decision on Friday to overturn a federal ban on bump stocks and called on Congress to take action.

"Today's decision strikes down an important gun safety regulation," Biden said in a statement. "Americans should not have to live in fear of this mass devastation."

In a 6-3 ruling, the justices upheld a lower court's decision that sided with Michael Cargill, a gun shop owner from Austin, Texas, who challenged the ban on bump stocks. The devices enable semiautomatic rifles to fire rapidly like machine guns.

The court's liberal minority dissented from the decision.

Biden pointed to the October 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas, saying the bump stock on the shooter's gun allowed him to fire more than 1,000 bullets in 10 minutes, killing 60 people and wounding hundreds more.

"While extreme congressional Republicans want to defund the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), I have used every tool in my Administration to stamp out gun violence," he said. "I nominated the first Senate-confirmed Director of the ATF since 2015. My Administration ensured that the ATF has the funding it needs to address emerging firearm technologies like machinegun conversion devices and ghost guns that pose a unique and acute threat to public safety."

The president highlighted his signing of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act and establishment of the first-ever White House Office of Gun Violence Prevention, as well as "investments in mental health" and "expanded background checks." But more needs to be done, he said.

"We know thoughts and prayers are not enough," Biden said. "I call on Congress to ban bump stocks, pass an assault weapon ban, and take additional action to save lives — send me a bill and I will sign it immediately."

Writing the majority opinion for the Supreme Court, Justice Clarence Thomas said, "A semiautomatic rifle equipped with a bump stock does not fire more than one shot 'by a single function of the trigger.' "

"With or without a bump stock, a shooter must release and reset the trigger between every shot," the justice wrote.

The bump stock ban was enacted by the Trump administration in 2017 in the wake of the Las Vegas concert shooting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: US Supreme Court Rules Bump Stock Ban Unlawful
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 11:51:33 PM »
great news for our 2nd amendment rights
blue lives matter

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2024, 01:22:02 AM »
  Pleased to see the sCOTUS stood strong for the 2nd amendment..even though I have no use for a bump stock.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2024, 03:34:38 AM »
I don't have one or any desire to have one but I have all along supported the rights of others to own them if they want to do so. I've written to my congress critters on this several times but in the end it was the courts that stopped it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2024, 04:47:53 AM »
I've seen recoil trigger attachments that work sometime and sometimes don't.  Depends on how hard a person grips the rifle.  Anyway, it is a waste of ammunition.  If a sniper is good, he can use single shots to bring down a lot of people.  No need for a machine gun of any sorts.  They are used by the military against mass attacks or to pin down an enemy while a squad hits their position. 
Opelika Portal

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2024, 06:42:29 AM »
Nobody ever brings up that criminals
and psychos need to be incarcerated
to where they're under control, and
not roaming around freely among
law abiding citizens.
As a law abiding citizen, I should be
able to purchase as many of whatever
I want and can afford.
I guess common sense got bred out
of people, or was discarded as useless
or something, because people today
trespass where they know they're
absolutely not supposed to be, and
diddle with things that they absolutely
know that they're not supposed to
mess with.
Then, people enable and make excuses
for them.
One of my liberal acquaintances was
whining about the pinheads sitting in
the middle of the roads because drivers
and some law enforcement remove
them from blocking legal public roads.
IMO they need a good beating by
individuals with professional training
in efficient use of batons/nightsticks
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 07:44:49 AM »
Anyway, it is a waste of ammunition.  If a sniper is good, he can use single shots to bring down a lot of people.  No need for a machine gun of any sorts.  They are used by the military against mass attacks or to pin down an enemy while a squad hits their position.
While that may be true, it's still our right to own and use them. Personally, I'm not interested in burning that much ammo - especially with how little control you have with bump stocks - but I support a person's right to do so.  I'm glad this has been resolved (at least, for now) even though I'm not interested in owning one.

Now, a true full-auto firearm is a different matter entirely. ;)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2024, 09:23:29 AM »
i love me burnin up some ammo.  ;) ive yet to see someone first trying a binary or forced reset trigger that didnt have an ear to ear grin. is it practical? its arguable but its sure fun. that said you dont want to be 50 yards from me when using one because they will probably be a mess to clean up. ive shot lots of full auto in the service and there evry bit as effective if not more because they are alot more controllable (IF used properly) that said a bump stock is not controlable at least not by me
blue lives matter

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2024, 01:12:40 PM »

watched my niece's 7 yo son empty two AR15 twenty round mags in seconds, no bump stock needed.  His dad got a kick out of it but he was through, did not want any more.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2024, 05:41:37 AM »
Still,  IMO law abiding citizens
should be able to buy whatever
they want and can afford.
If you're a law abiding citizen, and
you want and can afford ammo
by the pallet, there shouldn't be
any hoops to jump through.
If you're not a law abiding citizen,
you need to be incarcerated or
executed or on your way to be
deported OUT of the country.
We need to stop enabling and
making excuses for those who
won't follow the agreed upon
rules of a civilized society.
Things are really messed up
right now.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Schumer Plans Senate Vote to Ban Bump Stocks
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2024, 10:06:02 AM »
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/chuck-schumer-bump-stocks-guns/2024/06/17/id/1169036/

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said he is planning to hold a vote on legislation to bar gun bump stocks after the Supreme Court invalidated a ban on them.

"The Senate can help restore this public safety rule, and next week, it will try. As majority leader, I have the ability to allow a unanimous consent vote, and we'll see just what Republican MAGAs do: Will they allow it to go forward, or will they cower to MAGA and hurt the American people?" Schumer said Sunday.

In a 6-3 ruling, the Supreme Court upheld a lower court's decision that sided with Michael Cargill, a gun shop owner from Austin, Texas, who challenged the ban on bump stocks. The devices enable semiautomatic rifles to fire rapidly like machine guns.

The court's liberal minority dissented from the decision.

"The only way to permanently close this loophole is through legislation," Schumer said after the ruling. "Bump stocks have played a devastating role in many of the horrific mass shootings in our country, but, sadly, it's no surprise to see the Supreme Court roll back this necessary public safety rule as they push their out-of-touch, extreme agenda. They're even further to the right of Donald Trump."

Schumer has planned a series of votes in the Senate to help boost embattled incumbents and divide Republicans on key issues.

President Joe Biden, who blasted the Supreme Court ruling Friday, said he will sign a bill banning bump stocks immediately if it reached his desk.

"Americans should not have to live in fear of this mass devastation," Biden said.

The bump stock ban was enacted by the Trump administration in 2017 after a Las Vegas concert shooting in which 60 people were killed.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 04:09:23 AM »

watched my niece's 7 yo son empty two AR15 twenty round mags in seconds, no bump stock needed.  His dad got a kick out of it but he was through, did not want any more.

While I expect the people in ulav8r spoke of took all precautions...i would like to remind anyone who chooses to instruct a child in fully  automatic
    fire, to be sure they have arranged to "catch" the gun if necessary.

It seems no matter how you warn them, some are not ready for the "full auto lift"..  The gun is going to lift and turn toward the off-hand..

The shorter gun being perhaps the more dangerous, since it is a shorter lift arc.  Perhaps we all can remember the story in the below video..a
   tragedy where a 9 year old girl killed her instructor..

Personally, I have fires enough full auton with the military, that I don'r necessarily crave any more of that...but "to each his own"..

Now, the sniper is a "force multiplier"..that is. a single sniper can sometimes freeze and tie up an entire battalion with the occasional accurate shot
   from a sniper's hide.

Here, the now abbreviated instructor's death.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGCKFzGAfQ0
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/bump-stocks-senate-vote-schumer-las-vegas-shooting/2024/06/18/id/1169237/

Senate Republicans blocked bipartisan legislation Tuesday that would have outlawed bump stocks after the Supreme Court struck down a ban on the rapid-fire gun accessory used in the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history.

Democrats tried to force a voice vote on the bill to ban bump stocks, a tactic often used by both parties when they know that they don’t have the votes to pass legislation but want to bring an issue to the Senate floor. The bill, sponsored by Sens. Martin Heinrich, D-N.M., and Susan Collins, R-Maine, would ban the sale of the devices, similar to the rule issued by President Donald Trump’s administration after a gunman in Las Vegas attacked a country music festival in 2017 with semiautomatic rifles equipped with the accessories.

The gunman killed 58 people and wounded more than 850 among the crowd of 22,000, firing more than 1,000 rounds into the crowd in 11 minutes.

“I refuse to stand idly by and wait for the next mass shooting,” Heinrich said as he called for a vote on the Senate floor. “Bump stocks serve no legitimate purpose.”

Nebraska Sen. Pete Ricketts objected for Republicans, blocking an immediate vote on the bill. He called the legislation a “gun grabbing overreach” that could be interpreted to include other gun accessories beyond bump stocks.

“This bill will not pass,” Ricketts said. “It won't pass because enough people in this building still believe in the Constitution, and the Constitution affords Americans the right to own a firearm.”

The 6-3 majority opinion written by Justice Clarence Thomas found the Justice Department was wrong to declare that bump stocks transformed semiautomatic rifles into illegal machine guns because, he wrote, each trigger depression in rapid succession still only releases one shot.

The effort to force the legislation is part of a larger election-year push by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to hold votes on issues that are priorities for Democrats and where they believe they have a political advantage, even if they know the bills won’t pass. Republicans have blocked legislation to protect access to contraception and in vitro fertility treatments in recent weeks, arguing that the Democrats are only bringing up the issues for political reasons. And Schumer announced this week that the Senate will vote in July on legislation that would restore the nationwide right to have an abortion after the Supreme Court overturned it almost two years ago.

The votes have put Republicans in a tricky position. In the case of bump stocks, many Republicans supported the ban when Trump issued it. But several said this week that they would oppose the legislation to reinstate it, arguing that the vote is another election-year stunt by Democrats, not a serious attempt to pass bipartisan legislation.

North Carolina Sen. Thom Tillis, a Republican who worked with Democrats on bipartisan gun legislation two years ago, said that if Schumer were serious about banning bump stocks, “he’d be calling people into a room who have worked on bipartisan bills,” but instead “it’s a political exercise, which is a shame.”

South Dakota Sen. John Thune, the No. 2 Republican, criticized Schumer for a “summer of show votes” and for bringing up bills that are “clearly designed to fail.”

Schumer countered on the floor that “it's not enough for Republicans to roll their eyes and dismiss this bump stock vote as a 'show vote.' Tell that to the families who lost loved ones.”

The messaging votes come as the Senate’s other business has come to a halt, with bipartisan negotiations on legislation such as rail safety, farm programs, taxes and prescription drugs stalled during a contentious election year.

Schumer has said he may continue to bring up the bills for repeat votes, along with a separate bipartisan immigration compromise that Republicans voted down earlier this year.

“Republicans don’t want to talk about it, but they are going to have to vote on it,” Schumer said.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2024, 05:46:26 AM »
  If Henrich and Collins have not fought the open borders with all their ability...they have only invited even more mass shooting, terrorism and drug
    deaths directly intio our coyuntry..

....And, somebody in congress who possesses spherical gonads, should call them on it !

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2024, 11:08:47 AM »
If someone wants a bump stock, that is fine with me.  I don't really want one.  Sargent York proved a good shot with a bolt gun can cause a lot of trouble for someone.  It never was about the guns, but about control.  Government is afraid of gun owners, they can't get total control over the people without some type of gun control, even if it is by taking away rights piece by piece. 
Opelika Portal