Author Topic: 50 alaskan .not sure how wild?  (Read 934 times)

Offline adirondacker

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
50 alaskan .not sure how wild?
« on: March 26, 2004, 02:39:50 PM »
i am having a carbine barrel made in 50 alaskan  for an encore.looking for used dies,or at least a place to order them from.figured you guys[wildcat enthusiasts] would have some ideas.would also appreciate a word from any one with experiance with this cartridge and maybe some load data.thanks alot.

Offline onesonek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 12:18:11 PM »
Well I would venture a bet, that used dies are slim to none. Anybody that has the dies would keep them, unless they sell the rifle. In which case the dies would most likely would go with rifle. Anyhow, RCBS has them, and maybe others also. Midway list them, didn't check much beyond that. Hodgdon has loading data. Good Luck!
Dave

Offline BS

• Avid Poster
    • http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/web/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 03:01:25 PM »
ch4d.com        has them for $97

I have not seen any used ones!
Get Close, and Whack'em Hard!

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 02:29:55 AM »
there you go. i never gave them a thought . beats the hell outa the rcbs prices!!!!

Offline adirondacker

• Contributor
thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 03:17:08 PM »
thnks i'll check out those links.i have a friend with 150 brand new .348 win. brass he's going to give me,puts a hell of a dent in the reloading cost.the factory 348 were formed from 5o ak or 50-110 originally a little fire forming and trimming,walla new brass.thanks again

Offline adirondacker

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 03:39:06 PM »
that ch4d.com sight is great.seems the only way to go for custom dies.i emailed them to find out if the die set came with an expander die as i plan to shoot cast bullets.they actually mailed me back.that meens something in my book,it does by the way,come with the expander.appreciate your help.i ordered my barrel today from vv be here in 6-8 weeks.

Offline Fla Brian

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 07:07:08 AM »
I have a set of CH dies that came with my 8mm-06 Imp wildcat carbine. They work great. I'm glad to see that there's a reasonably priced replacement should I ever need a replacement set.

I just had a problem with mine in that I forgot to lube the inside of the neck with motor mica before sizing the first case of a just fire formed batch. The case went in the die alright but would not come out - stuck on the expander. Even with my wife sitting on the bench and me pulling up with all my might, it was no use. Finally, I got it out by banging up on the press arm with a small sledge hammer.

This is a reminder for all those who load sharp shouldered cases. Always lube the inside of those necks. It isn't a bad idea for more tapered shoulders either. Doing so will also minimize neck stretch, which means less trimming and longer case life.

By the way, I found the site to be pretty cool myself.
Brian
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NAHC Life Member
Nil sine magno labore.