Author Topic: Building Sizing Dies ?  (Read 642 times)

Offline BS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://webpages.charter.net/fam-strick/web/index.htm
Building Sizing Dies ?
« on: March 26, 2004, 03:53:59 PM »
I want to build some size dies and punches, so that I can shoot some cheap ammo in my 40-90. It has a .416 barrel on it and is a good shooter, but I need some varmint bullets!

I  have a tapered bushing .415 diameter,[made for sizing 404 Jeffery's cases to shoot .375s] and have pushed the .429s thru it, one push, and it works. Can just imagine what they would look like if you did them every .005. If I knew what they[the dies] looked like!

Four questions. or more!

1. how long is the taper
2. length of sizing diameter
3 how much under sized is the punch, than size diameter
4 what centers the bullet on the punch

I have sized down 200 grain Hornady, Sierra 300 grainers, and 265 Hornadys all .429 to .415-.413. Some taper. some are quite good. Better after I made a .400 diameter punch, instead of just using a 3/8s bolt for the pusher! [thought you might get a laugh at that one]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BS
Get Close, and Whack'em Hard!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Building Sizing Dies ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 03:41:19 AM »
BS, building dies is an art and science. An experienced die maker would have to answer your questions. So much has to do with the technique of milling, polishing and hardening the reducing die itself, as well as the dynamics of swaging metal. For instance, springback of the jacket: a .416 hole in the die could produce a .4167-.4180 bullet depending upon the thickness of the jacket and what it is made of. Pure lead has no springback, but lead alloy does, so even reducing lead bullets isn't as simple as it first appears. Most die makers would ask you to send several of the bullets you intend to reduce so that they can develop the size hole, and it's taper that is needed. In some cases, the punch will be .0005" under the hole size, depending upon the forces encountered.  As far as reducing bullets in stages goes, I understand it can be done in up to .006" increments without risk of warping the bullet itself or loosening the jacket, but there is a limit on the number of times you can do this. I often reduce jackets  more than 3 times, but for bullets, never more than once. You can contact CH/4D, RCE, or Corbin Co (address' found elsewhere on this board) for specifics. They've been at the business of making bullet reducing dies for ages).  8)

Offline BS

• Avid Poster
Building Sizing Dies ?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 04:16:31 AM »
Talon,

I looked at the CH/4D web site and looked at there size dies.

I didn't want to bother them with questions, when I have no intention of buying from them.

Unless I buy the finishing die for a sample.

I am a Tool and Die Maker and have access to equipment, just trying to save some money and time of only doing it once.

Would be great if someone had some blue prints of a size die!

A crude sketch would do, or even a not so crude sketch.

If I can reduce size with an old tapered bushing and a bolt. Just think, if I had some help.[Not that kind of HELP] but I may need It!

Thanks,
Bruce

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Building Sizing Dies ?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 04:39:07 AM »
BS, go to   www.corbins.com/drawdies.htm#brd    for further...and further information.  8)

Offline BS

• Avid Poster
Building Sizing Dies ?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 05:56:29 AM »
Talon,

That is what I am looking for.

Thank You!

Bruce