Author Topic: Historic photo..  (Read 161 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Historic photo..
« on: August 31, 2024, 08:59:22 AM »
  Nearby lake was once used for ice source...of course, the business tapered off, once the ice boxes gave way to refrigeration.. Photo taken late 1800s.
 Each year 145,000 tons of ice was harvested.  There were 3-4 large ice houses like the one shown.

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
Re: Historic photo..
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2024, 09:04:39 AM »
The Lake today...looks like the engineers borrowed one of my son's aerial photos. Ice business was operated primarly from the far (north) end.

My home is about a half mile directly from this (south) end.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2024, 10:41:05 AM »
Nice looking little lake.  Bet there's some good bass in there.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2024, 11:35:42 AM »
Nice looking little lake.  Bet there's some good bass in there.

Yes there are even some Northers and I believe Muiskies in there..  I don't fish, so i'm not sure which.  It started out in the early 1800s..just 2 smaller lakes with a finger of land between.  There was an ashery on that finger (ashery..a place wher wood is burned for rich potash for fertilizer and other uses).
   Then somebody raised the  outlet, created one lake..and started the ice business.  As you can see, now there are cottages..some quite luxurious, surrounding the lake.  I would guess somewhat less than half are in year round use.

When it was for ice...no cottages allowed on lke..to retain pure water.  I suspect it was originally choisen for ice, because it jhas 2 outlets an dno inlets..being purely spring fed from below.

It is unique, in that the norther outlet feeds north eventually entering the north tlantic at the Hudson Bay...while the southern outlet, now bu a trickle, flows south, eventually dumping into the gulf at the mouth of the Mississippi.

Years ago, it was written up by Ripley's..   Here's a later write up:  https://historicpath.com/article/lime-lake-then-and-now-136