Author Topic: They are listening.  (Read 220 times)

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
They are listening.
« on: September 04, 2024, 06:16:49 PM »
I'm not sure this is where my issue belongs, but why not.

So here is what I discovered by accident.  I have a number of Amazon Fire tablets and for those of you who also might have them and maybe even your cell phones and other devices.  I keep one of the tablets on the table right next to me when I'm watching TV and sometimes working on one of my computers.  Most of you are probably familiar with "Alexa". 

So here is what happened: I was watching TV and on the program I was watching, something came up about Alexa and the name Alexa was mentioned.  To my surprise, the tablet sitting next to me, which was turned off, answered.  So just to prove it to myself, I turned it off again and then said "Alexa" out loud and sure enough Alexa answered.  Pretty neat--right?  Call me paranoid, but if "they" are listening  all the time, what else might they be listening for?  And who is they?  If a tablet can do this, I'm now wondering if your cell phone might be listening and maybe even your newer smart TV.  Who has to walk over and actually has to turn on a TV any more.  Everything works by electronic signals.  You really don't even actually need a key to unlock your car and start it up if it is fairly new. 

So if you're going to talk about anything you'd like to keep secret, be aware it might be better to go outside and don't take your cell with you.
Swingem
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: They are listening.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2024, 01:26:50 AM »
I don't have a smart phone, only dumb phones. No tablets or any of that sort of thing, not even a lap top. I have no electronic assistants either. The only time I am near my cell phone, a dumb flip phone, is when I'm in bed.

My cell phone is hooked to the charger in the bedroom on the dresser all the time unless I get in my truck to go somewhere. I do take it then in case I have an emergency of some sort and need to call for help.

Mostly I use it to call my wife when I'm coming back with groceries to tell our youngest son Phil to come out to bring the groceries in. Rarely is it used other than for that.

So I don't think anyone is listening in on me and if they are boy are they likely to get bored.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2024, 03:49:11 AM »
Don’t remember who, but someone was outed a couple years back for having microphones in their wall mounted thermostats. They glossed it over, but what could have been the point?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2024, 11:50:07 AM »
Dunno if it is applicable in the case you mention or not, but, some thermostats these days talk to you and you to it to change the settings. Nope I don't have one, mine is the old fashion kind ya gotta change yourself.

If it was just a regular normal thermostat and had mics added I sure can't imagine the why of that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Disagree Disagree x 1 View List

Online moamonkey

• Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2024, 12:34:51 PM »
Bill, I absolutely agree. I don’t use Siri or Alexa, but do know everything said around a ‘smartphone’ is being heard, whether by human or AI. Bothers me to no end, but I have found enough use for mine that I’ll continue to believe there are far too many users out there to merit big brother finding it feasible to compile a hit list. My last day may be when they try to load me on a cattle car, but if I give in to their perceived intimidation, then they’re already winning.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2024, 12:53:38 PM »
If there is a "list" , you got put
on it when you joined the NRA,
logged on to a gun or hunting
related forum, bought any gun
or ammunition or gun related
anything especially with a credit
card, drove to and parked at a
gun store gun range or a gun
show, or served in the military,
etc. etc. etc.
"They" can wait until everybody's
gone from your residence and
drill holes in the exterior of your
house and install surveillance
devices and nobody would ever
be the wiser. Or install whatever
they wanted on the utility poles
outside of your home in plain
sight of a dozen people.

No use to fret over any of that.
Nothing you can do about it.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2024, 02:01:34 PM »
Wonder what would happen if you put on a show for them? Choreograph it well and see. We have all probably said enough on here and other places to get us in trouble by now anyway.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2024, 02:31:07 AM »
  So here it is,,,I have been looking for a spot for this news item..   https://www.frontpagemag.com/an-iron-curtain-is-descending-on-us/
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2024, 04:12:18 PM »
Any smart device you have is listening no matter if you chose to disable that feature or not. Your internet service is also monitored no matter your provider and their assurances about protecting your privacy. Even a simple dumb cell phone can be pinged and your location tracked. If you drive a newer vehicle it has connectivity and can be tracked and located. Not to mention the box in your vehicle tracking your driving with logs of how you drive and any significant events.

It's a complicated world we live in right now.
wtxbadger

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2024, 05:24:10 PM »
I don't own any smart devices. I suppose they can ping my cell phone, a dumb flip phone, but mostly they'll find me home or on the way to the little store 3 miles up the road. Once a week or less I'll drive up to town mostly to the drug store for my meds.

I don't go anywhere that I care who knows I'm there. Yeah I don't like the government interference in our lives but mine is so boring they'll go to sleep if they listen in or watch.

I don't think my 2017 Tundra has one of those recording devices on it and isn't a connected vehicle.

I have no cameras or microphones attached to my computer and don't have a lap top, tablet or any such device.

Being a long, long time life member of the NRA and having bought over 300 guns in my life time I figure I'm on about all the federal lists they have room for me on. Plus I worked federal civil service for 30 years so my prints are on file too.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2024, 03:20:53 AM »
  Like Bill, I have just an old flip phone...and not a full blown "entertainment center"..

I have an Alexa in my home, but since I live alone..they won't hear anything...unless I start talking to myself !

..But then, if I start arguing with myself..they won't know who to believe..  :D  ;D

Alexa does work well for the odd question..such as .."How tall in the Eifel tower?".. (1060 ft)  Or .."When did Thomas Jefferson, send Marines
  after the Barbary pirates?".. (1801)

I also use it for a radio..such as calling for Fox News or Newsmax News.  Better than aradio for music..since I can call for a particular song, and don't have to wait through a dozen others to get to the music I want.

Fact is, my very few music choices are so esoteric, they would likely never come up randomly.. ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)