Author Topic: did something i wouldnt have bothered with 5 years ago.  (Read 68 times)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
did something i wouldnt have bothered with 5 years ago.
« on: September 12, 2024, 07:03:46 AM »
ha around 300 45acps loaded that i screwed up and didnt seat the cast hp deep enough. so i trie pushing them deaper and it pushed lead and pc into a ring that would let them chamber in any of my 45s. years ago i would have tossed them but with the price of powder and primers i did my most hated reloading job, pulling down mistakes. i finished reloading them all right this morning. It sucked but its done. been going to town with 45s for the last week and got those 300 and  about 2k more of cast round nose ammo. tomorrow i start on the cast hp's. im running out of lg pistol primers. only have a couple thousand left but have 10k of cci 350 mag pistols. little warm for the aa2 im using but ill have to make them work
blue lives matter
Sad Sad x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: did something i wouldnt have bothered with 5 years ago.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 08:25:52 AM »
I have some that I inadvertently loaded
too much of a charge that I never did
pull. Maybe 200 if that many.
I was so po'ed at myself, I wrapped the
boxes in packing tape with a big note
DO NOT USE- THESE ARE OVERLOADED
in case I had a memory lapse or in
case someone else got ahold of them
for whatever reason. I guess I've not
pulled them as a reminder to not
have any kind of distractions when
doing any reloading steps/operations.
I have a few ruined loaded rounds
wired to the pegboard behind the
bench as a similar reminder.

I always cringe when someone
tells me that they have a small
television or radio playing, or
that they drink while reloading.
Loading deserves your full and
total attention
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024, 10:04:55 AM »
Back in the winter of 2016 I think it was I loaded 15,000 rounds of various types of ammo. Among them was 1014 rounds of .45acp using 180 grain plated bullets. Somehow I managed to get at least half of them seated a bit too deeply and they won't chamber and function in any of my semiauto guns.

So I did the only sensible thing I could. I bought a Ruger BH convertible in .45acp and .45 Colt. I'll shoot them all up in it and then put in the LC cylinder and use it like it should be.

No way was I gonna pull the bigger part of over 1000 rounds and I dang sure wasn't gonna waste the components. With the bullet seated a wee bit too deeply I'd guess pressures are higher than standard but that Ruger BH is up to the task.

Since then I have noticed that not all are seated deep, some are, some aren't. How I did that I have no clue. Since making that discovery I do separate them when I'm putting them into boxes. It's easy to tell them apart when I put them in ammo boxes and those seated properly work fine in the semiautos.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Like Like x 1 Agree Agree x 1 View List

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2024, 10:40:23 PM »
ya but that cure would have cost me over 800 bucks. this cost me 20 bucks for an extended shell holder. that, a press and a pair of klien pliers. i used to have a smith 25 but i doubt with the bulge from the shaved lead if it would have even chambered in that. i have 7 45acps 8 ig you include the ar15 pistol and they wouldnt run in any of them
blue lives matter